Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: 2011 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners Reply with quote

2011 was a major year for LVI. It was our first to accept videos for all fandoms, a dream that we here on the Council have had in the works literally for years before it ever became reality.

It's been so exciting to see all of these videos for our favorite fandoms as well as be introduced to so many awesome new fandoms as well! The quality of vidding is just insanely high amongst all of the vids from this past year, which has made this Tournament and Members' Choice Award voting the most difficult ever!

But now, after weeks of intense voting, the results are in, so without further ado, let's get to the winners!

All banners are made by the extremely talented emmasholi!

The 2011 Vid of the Year, as decided by your votes, is...

Coming Back to You by Belxf

2nd place - Sawyer+Juliet || I Need To Know by grable24
3rd place - Dance on our graves - Fringe by aradnea

Congratulations, Bel! You employed some of the best, most creative and awesome effects and AU in this one, particularly in making Kate look so believably pregnant! *applause* This was a brilliant vid, wonderful work and congrats again!

Lauren and Ali, your vids were also fantastic! The sheer quality of the vids from this past year was the highest it's ever been and you shoud both be very proud at having navigated through all of the rounds of voting to claim spots in the top 3! Very well deserved and congratulations to you both!

This year was the first in which the MCA's determined which vids would advance on into the Vid of the Year Tournament itself. After a large number of qualifying vids were painstakingly narrowed down to 36 winners, we're proud to present the winners of the 2011 MCAs! Congratulations to everyone!

Spoiler:

As with previous years, there were so many outstanding videos in 2011, we wanted to honor those who managed to stand out to the CMs as being particularly unique, noteworthy and special.

Below, you'll find the 9 Council Member's Choice winners.

Congratulations again to all of the Tournament, MCA and CM's Choice winners and thank you to everybody who participated and voted! But the biggest thank you goes to the our awesome, loyal members and vidders without whom LVI couldn't have reached our 7th anniversary! We look forward to seeing what amazing and fantastic vids you'll be creating in 2012!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Ninu's "She Is The Sunlight"

Ninu's video contains some of the best, most seamless manips I think I've ever seen in a vid. But I think what really set this vid apart for me and made it something that I've watched many, many times since the first time I saw it, is how convincing the story is, not just the visuals that she used to tell it.

I love how she set it like a real TV episode, where we get the dramatic scenes with House, Derek and Addison at the start without really any context to it, then at about the 41 second mark, we go into a very cool transition back to six months earlier.

House and Addison's relationship managed to cover a lot of ground, to them meeting to the sparks flying as they fight, laugh, fall in love and deal with his serious illness. As I said, the manips are really incredible in just how naturally they work. If you didn't know better, you'd definitely believe she was reacting to him in the monitor in the elevator, that they actually later got in the elevator together, that she was sitting by his bedside, that they were both exuberantly dancing and that she ran to him when he collapsed as well as every other manipped moment.

The coloring is beautiful, really helping to tie the different source footage together, but it's also understated so that it doesn't call a lot of attention to itself. The song choices were also great, I love how she used two different songs by the same artist to set off the beginning section from the "six months earlier" part! The songs are both so emotional and worked perfectly with the plotline!

Even for a relatively short video, it packed a lot of story and a ton of emotion. The ending with House collapsing and Addison making the call to Derek that led into the scene at the start was also a perfect choice that really brought the video full circle!

I truly enjoyed this vid so much and I'm honored to make it my CM's Choice for 2011!

Last edited by Aislynn on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice awards goes to - The vampire diaries katherine pierce Cannibal by EMMALOUISE.

EMMALOUISE's "Cannibal" video really impressed me right away. The song choice is absolutely perfect for Katherine from Vampire Diaries. The lyrics are great for this, and all the clips chosen really show that. I like how it shows her relationships with many of the guys: Stefan, Damon, Mason Lockwood. It could be Katherine singing the song, it fits her so well! The beat use is spot on, all the quick cuts and the red highlights look spectacular! The coloring & effects are totally on with the song. The subject of the vid is dark but this video has a very "fun" feeling! I chose this video as my CM's Choice because it captures everything I love about vidding - great beat use, cool storyline, & flawless editing.

Emma, I really enjoy your videos, I think your vidding has improved greatly, and I look forward to what you come up with next!

Last edited by Uruviel on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:42 am; edited 2 times in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to - The Secret Garden - Awakening of Spring by Wickedgal

Amy's "Awakening of Spring" does not only bring up a lot of childhood memories - since this movie was a big favourite of mine when I was a kid.
No, it's one of those special videos which touched and moved me deeply in my heart.
Amy has the rare talent to make wonderful and amazing videos without having to use a fancy editing software and fancy effects. The beauty of her videos lies in the emotions she perfectly manages to convey.

Awakening of Spring is a perfect example for her talent. What I love about this simple, yet amazingly beautiful vid is the way Amy drew a parallel between the "awakening of the spring" - nature coming back to life, flowers blossoming, plants striking roots - and the "re-awakening" of the Craven family and Mary worming her way - "striking her roots" - into the heart of the people surrounding her. The characters come back to life and truly start to "blossom" again.

This vid causes a warm and fuzzy feeling in my heart and puts a big smile on my face every time I watch it

I knew which video to pick for my CM's Choice Award right away because, Amy, this is really a little masterpiece you created here!

Last edited by KajaM on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:32 pm; edited 5 times in total
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to - Pieces Don't Belong Together (Lost/Gossip Girl Crossover) by Brooke

Brooke's "Pieces Don't Belong Together" video was one that grabbed me from the first time I watched it. It has a story that is so compelling, I felt completely drawn in even though I've never watched the show one of the main characters is from. The editing flows so seamlessly, and really feels like you're watching a storyline from one show. This is one of those videos that really stayed in my head.

Last edited by ciaimpala on Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to starryeyesxx's vid "Can't Help Falling In Love".

Sophie has fast become one of my favourite vidders this year. I’ve really enjoyed all the videos she has submitted, especially during the time LVI has been multi-fandom. I already have several favourites from her including ”Love Like Sunset”, ”My Sacrifice” and ”Where We Belong”. In the end I settled on “Can't Help Falling In Love” for my CM’s Choice because no matter how many times I watch it, I’m always stunned and moved by its beauty. I haven’t seen many George/Izzie videos, but I loved how this vid highlighted the strength and complexity of their relationship, from their playful friendship to their heart-breaking romance and eventually George’s tragic death. The video is successful in encapsulating all the emotion of the storyline and never fails to make me teary! Sophie’s editing in this video is mesmerising. The black and white throughout the video emphases a poignancy and the slow fades flow beautifully with the music and the slow pace of the clips. Lyric use is also perfect, particularly when Ingrid sings ‘take my hand’ and ‘I can’t help falling in love with you’. The clip/scene choices here are absolutely perfect to match the lyrics and convey the mood being set. Simply amazing to watch from start to finish. Gorgeous job, Sophie, and I look forward to seeing more of your projects in the future!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award Goes to khaleesi's vid Take My Hand; Doctor Who.

Khaleesi’s “Take My Hand; Doctor Who” is a vid as gorgeous and captivating as Doctor Who itself is. The coloring and beat use give it a whimsical feeling, which is just the emotion a video about the Eleventh Doctor’s era should invoke! I’ve always thought that the fifth season of Doctor Who was like a fairy tale, and this video captures that perfectly. The song choice is great because while it’s not a song I would have expected to see used in a Doctor Who vid, particularly one about Eleven and Amy, Kait makes it work so well! The lyric interpretation in this video is spot-on. Watching this video is like watching series 5 of Doctor Who again, and remembering all the things that you loved about it! The end of this vid gets me a little teary every time I watch it, with the inclusion of Rory and Amy’s relationship with him. In general, this is one of the best Doctor Who videos I’ve ever watched and I’m glad to be able to pick it for my CM’s Choice!

art by me&tammy

Last edited by HobbitRockGod on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Into The Fire - Raavan by Breezelda

Breezelda's "Into The Fire - Raavan" captivated me from the moment I hit play. There are many things I love about this video, starting with the courage it takes to vid the fandom less vidded. There are many beautiful movies and shows out there that are never showcased by vids simply because they're not widely known. I was so impressed that Breeze went out on a limb to vid this unique movie, and I really felt she did an amazing job highlighting the intense emotion of the story line. Even without having ever seen the movie, I understood what it was about and what was going on in the characters' minds. That, to me, is very powerful. I was also blown away by the song choice, because it may not seem the obvious choice for a movie like this, but it fit so perfectly because the song conveys all of the danger, adventure, fear, hope, and passion of the story. Another thing I love about the vid are the clip choices, which are well thought out and often kind of beautiful, even despite the circumstances of the story. The overlays ramp up the intensity by showing the contrast between the characters' motivations and feelings. With "Into The Fire - Raavan", Breezelda shows that you can make a beautiful, powerful, intense and fun-to-watch vid, even without things like fast beat use, transitions, overlay text, and textures. I absolutely love this vid and I am looking forward to seeing more of Breezelda's unique and captivating videos in the future.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to SuperKC for her "Strange & Untrue" video.

I’ve watched SuperKC’s “Strange & Untrue” video countless times since I first saw it, and it continues to astound me each and every time. Her simple, elegant editing style gives the impression that this is the work of a true professional. Having only seen the first season of the show when I first watched the video, I was immediately inspired to go and get up-to-date. That, I think, is the true test of brilliant editing - the ability to grab someone’s attention, despite their level of knowledge about the fandom, and make them want to watch more. Her video acts as a fantastic advertisement, giving a brilliant overview of the feel of the show.

One of the things I love the most about KC’s editing is her use of motion in the clips. The video has a beautiful flow to it which makes it a pleasure to watch from beginning to end. One example is the section between 0:20-0:27, her selection of clips using; the pulling back of the camera, the character turning, the pan upwards, and the pulling of focus, all make the video extremely interesting to watch.

The clip choices and lyric interpretation that KC used also do an amazing job at portraying the characters’ emotions. I particularly loved 01:29-1:34 where the lyrics “get up, get out, get away from these liars” were coupled with quick cuts of Stefan pacing around and looking agitated. You could really feel the character’s emotions pouring out from the video; his frustration and unsettlement - the video’s atmosphere was incredible.

One final thing which struck me about “Strange & Untrue” was the overall build up of the video and how it comes to a climax which is powerful enough to give the viewer chills! SuperKC’s music use was outstanding. The pace of the video perfectly suits that of the song. In the last one and a half or so minutes, the pace really picks up as the video reaches it’s climax. I love how KC used the more dramatic scenes here, with the movement in the clips perfectly hitting the big beats of the song.

This was most certainly one of my favourite videos of the year! It’s awe-inspiring, and shall remain a go-to video whenever I’m looking for inspiration from exemplary work! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your wonderful video!

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Someone Else's Tomorrow by Captain Freya !!

Never thought I would love a vid with Brennan so much But I guess that's what AU's do to you Plus, the fact that it uses this beautiful song, which remains one of my all time favourite Patty Griffin tracks, certainly doesn't hurt.

It's full of awesome manipulations; one of my favourites being when Jack walks away from Brennan and it cuts to reaction shots of them both; and of course the wedding scene where Brennan is forced to watch Jack marry someone else. And then rewatching the wedding video almost to hurt herself even more.

And then the final scene I love, because with Kate being pregnant it pretty much cements Kate/Jack as a couple, and Brennan has to say goodbye to the whole relationship.

It's a beautifully told story; and as someone who uses loads of dialogue I applaud that you pulled of an awesome crossover/AU story with such limited dialogue, but were still able to get the story completely across. These are my favourite videos to watch and to see people create.

Excellent work Freya, this remains one of my favourite videos of yours

Wickedgal
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done everyone Thank you so much for the CM choice award Karolina! *nabs banner for keeps*

So touching what you wrote. Made my entire day !! Completely agree with the winners but everyone produced such fantastic entries I bet it was hard to choose!

Ninu
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... First of all, I'm suprised I won in one of categories, cause there were so many AWESOME and perfects vids to compete with... And I'm nothing more than begginer (with my Really-Old-&-Crappy-Computer SV works... Well, for most of the time, it doesn't work - like now...)!

But when I've read Aislynn's comment to her CM choice... My Godness, you have no idea how big smile just showed up on my face. I'm seriously touched! And I think... I just got the best comment ever Thank you :]

Congrats to all of you, guys! LVI is such a great, friendly and full of AWESOME people community <3

nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for my banner Emma! I love it!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aradnea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I wanted to thank you for all the votes so... THANK YOU I am so honoured and moved. Really!

To be honest I was a bit surprised that I was chosen to compete in the final battle. Every time I've checked who I'm in a group with I was like: "no way, it's over now, he/she's so freaking talented". But then I kept going on and I was so incredibly happy about it. And to have compete with Bel and Lauren (who are by the way two of my all-time-favourite vidders and a real inspiration to me, and I must've watched those two videos like hundreds of times before the tournament) it was just like WOW.

So congratulations to Bel and Lauren - you are awesome!, and to all of the winners, especially Ninu - I am so proud of you!

And Emma - those banners are gorgeous!!

nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You deserve it Ali! YOU know how I feel about your vids! I voted for you!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: