Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Song Choice ~ Etiquette for reusing a song?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Song Choice ~ Etiquette for reusing a song? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone at LVI!!!

I missed ya muchly!

I haven't had any vidding inspiration for months now, and it's finally back but I came over here and was disappointed to see that all the songs I want to do have already been done. =(

What is the etiquette, if any, for re-using a song? Is there any criteria you personally follow when choosing whether or not to use a song that has already been used?

I try to listen to a wide variety of music, but when a particular song inspires me I tend to get stuck on it and have a hard time moving on. I hate to re-use a song, but if it's an acceptible thing to do, I want to know the in's and out's, so-to-speak.

Thanks!

~ Julia
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Julia! Welcome back!!

I don't really think there is just one answer to this question, I think it just come down to personal opinion.
When I get an idea for a vid, I always come go on lvi and see if anyone has used that song before. Most of the time there is at least one other person who has done it before. lol
I also check and see what their vid is about (character, storyline, etc.) and if for some reason they did something similar to what i wanted to do then I probably wouldn't use that song.

But that's not to say that making a vid with the same song about the same character is bad. It could be really great actually.
A great example of this is a few months ago Jemma and Majs both made vids to the song "Breath Me" about Charlie. But it didn't matter at all, because both vids were amazing, and completely different both in editing, and the story they told.

The bottom line is, just go with your gut. I'm pretty sure no one on lvi will get upset with you if you do the same song as them, because everyone pictures something different when they hear a song, and your idea may be the complete opposite of what they have already done. Just do what you feel is the best.

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morgan answered that question perfectly...and I think if you want to vid to that song then vid to it. Don't worry so much!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julia! *hugs!* So great to see you back here! And yay for your vidding inspiration returning! \o/

Morgan already gave you a completely great answer so all I basically need to say is "Ditto!" I do the same thing whenever I get an idea for a song for a Lost vid, I check LVI to see if it's been done or how many times and to which characters. If it's been used for a different character or ship, particularly if it was used years ago, then I don't feel bad pursuing my idea. But like Morgan pointed out two vidders can use the same song in the same basic time frame to the same character even and you can still get two different but equally fantastic vids!

Just from a perspective of pure etiquette, if you would just feel better talking to the other vidder first, then I know I've done that before myself and I've had other people ask me if I mind if they use the same song. So far, I've never come across another vidder who's said no, lol! (After all, none of us own the songs or the shows, just our own visions of how we want our vids to come across. ) Again, I go by how long ago the song was used. If it was years ago, then I feel like you're free and clear either way.

The best thing you can do is just make your vid as true to your own vision as you can and that won't look like anybody else's vid, whether you use the same song or not! (Again, Morgan's example of Jemma and Majs' vids is perfect. )

Good luck, hon! Can't wait to see your vids! ♥♥♥!!!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody!!!

It's great to be back again!!! Thank you so much for the great advice! =)

That's great advice, and Nikki... I'll try to relax! LOL!!! =) ♥

Luckily of all the songs that were already used, none of them were used for the pairing I want to do, so that's one good thing at least. I'm going to give it a hearty effort and see if I can get it done!

(((HUGS)) everybody!

~ Julia
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in with a slightly different opinion (and sorry to drag up the thread from months ago).

I think that there's a difference in etiquette with regards to the popularity/distinctness of the song. Not that anyone can lay 'claim' over a particular artist or song, of course, but I would be surprised if many people did videos to Elvis Costello or Warren Zevon, since I used to be the only one doing videos to their music. So if someone used, say, 'Pills and Soap' for a surveillance-themed video, or 'Lord Byron's Luggage' for Desmond, I'd be a bit weirded-out by it. Even more so if someone used a semi-local act (Black 47) with a particular song ('Fanatic Heart') for Sayid, since that whole thing feels distinctly my combination.

On the other hand, I am sure 99% of the community has thought of 'Authority Song' for Sawyer. I was the first one to make a video of it, but if someone else has used it, I wouldn't be surprised or annoyed. It's an obvious song for Sawyer, and a popular/well-known one to boot. So I wouldn't mind if someone reused 'Authority Song' in the exact same way, for the exact same character, or 'That Don't Impress Me Much' for a shippy/silly video.

I don't know how to clearly draw that distinction other than with examples, but I think it exists. Now that I'm not making videos at the moment (and haven't for a couple of years), that's my thought on the matter anyway.
namaste nikki
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a older post, but I was just coming across this same situation. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the song 9 Crimes by Damien Rice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smKb79ltpaU

I am 1/2 way thru a video and then I see a Jate vid for the same song pop up in my YT Subs. I was crushed!!!

I have been obsessed with finishing it, but I keep thinking I dont want them to think I am a copy cat...It's hard to know what to do. Any suggestions?

What was worse I was watching the new True Blood and it said it was called 9 Crimes and then at the end of the episode it played the song...I just dont know what to do......
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to vid to it then I say go for it! It is a rather over-vidded song, but that's because it's so popular. I don't think it's fair if you've started a project you really love but you can't continue on with it because it's already been done. I'm sure people won't think you're copying! And if you're worried about it, you could always leave a little note saying you know it's a popular song but you wanted to make your own vid.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't pay attention to stuff like that. If it suits your story and you love the song then go for it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Nikki. If I hear a song, a story begins to form and I'm inspired, I vid it! That's all there is to it. Now if someone just had a similar story with that song (that I knew of), I wouldn't use it, at least right away, and I'd ask them first. But if it's just an overvidded song, go for it. Who cares? Try to bring something new to the table and have fun with it. My vids are ruled by my creative muse and I've learned not to ignore it over something like a song choice cuz it can disappear at anytime. hehe
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your input. I always second guess myself, but I guess I need to just go with my gut!!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably confer with the vidder first, particularly if it is a recent video and very similar subject matter. I tended to avoid overdone songs unless there was an excellent idea behind the video but it is personal preference when it comes down to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: