Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Make This Go On Forever" by scarlett_106 -REVISED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: "Make This Go On Forever" by scarlett_106 -REVISED Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Make This Go On Forever" 06-25-2011
Jate/Suliet angst, s5/6-centric. This song and vid tell the story of how Jack and Kate and Sawyer and Juliet kind of fell apart over the years, but how they were both reunited in The End (pun intended). I feel like this song is perfect for all the angst.
Fandom: Lost
Song: Make This Go On Forever by Snow Patrol
Vidder: scarlett_106
Length: 5:56 (1.2 GB AVI)

Link(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63qbicgTKtY
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eee!! this is one of my all time fave Snow Patrol songs! it always fit Lost fit for me with that whole "this whole flight" line. I haven't seen a good Suliet/Jate angst vid in a long while! really lovely clip choices; especially the ending. as always the reunions made me tear up

The audio was a little inconsistent, like some of it was really loud and some was really quiet, but the audio you chose was perfect.

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Make This Go On Forever by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

That was sooooo lovely! What a wonderful idea for a video. Great song choice and all your clip/audio choices were a perfect fit. Loved it!
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Question about audio - I struggled to keep it consistent because some of it was really quiet (whispers) and some was loud! Plus it depended on if it fit with silence in the song or words! Any ideas for keeping it consistent? I guess just feeling it out?

I also wonder if anyone has tips for making audio clips louder. The only thing I could figure out was to use Audacity and to "amplify" the quieter clips. I of course tried upping the volume in Vegas itself, but that didn't cut it for the quieter clips so I had to amplify it. What do you guys do?

Thanks for watching!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, that was really lovely! The song was perfect for it as well! I really enjoyed watching it! ♥!

This is what I do whenever I deal with audio, particularly with quiet clips. I use Vegas Movie Studio, so I can't raise the volume on an individual clip, I can only make the volume quieter by lowering the line on the audio that is in the same place that the opacity line is for video clips. So sometimes what I'll do is (once my music and audio clips are set in stone, I should mention ) very carefully split my music underneath the quiet audio clip. I put a cut right after the start of the audio and one right before the clip finishes, then I'll drag that bar down on that new individual "clip" I've made of my music, which has the effect of making the music softer underneath the clip.

I basically try to put the first cut right as the first word is being spoken and the second cut right before the last word finishes, so that the part of the music in between the two that I'm going to lower the volume on is as hidden by the dialogue as possible. If you put the cut too soon, you'll hear the volume noticeably drop before the person starts talking.

You have to go at this method carefully, though, because you don't want it to sound like you're sitting there turning the volume up-down-up-down-up-down as the vid's going on. But sometimes it can help the quiet audio bit to "pop" a little more.

I also have tried lowering the volume on the entire song in that same manner, then rendering the vid with the master volume up a little louder than normal. If you have some really loud audio clips mixed in there, then I lower the volume on them a bit as well. It's mainly just a matter of trial and error to try to get the most consistent volume levels for the audio clips and music as you can.

To actually raise the volume of a clip, I have to render it separately with the master volume way up. I usually have to try a couple of different times to get a decent render with the clip louder but not clipping (where you start getting that distortion on the words, sort of the audio equivalent of the speckled artifacts you get with .jpg images ). Then I usually plug those rendered clips into my vid and immediately do a test render of how it sounds with the music, because sometimes you get distortion and clipping that doesn't really show up until you render it into the vid itself.

It's all just a matter of trying to figure out what works the best with the clips and music you're using at the time. I pretty much have to change up methods every time I do it because each clip has its own unique set of challenges and issues.

Sorry for the novel-length reply here, lol! Hopefully some of that will be helpful, though!
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Wow, thanks for that awesome reply! You guys are all so helpful here. It helps to know that there are no magic tricks! I spent a LOT of time on the audio and it still "clipped" (now I know the term, thanks haha) and just was so inconsistent! It's funny because like you said, I didn't notice some of it until I rendered it.

I think I'll go back and try to fix the audio and either reupload it or just consider it practice. I will try what you're talking about with lowering the music JUST as the dialogue starts - it's just hard because sometimes they pause during their dialogue and like you said, I don't want it to be obvious! I might also try what you said about trying it just in the clip. What I've been doing is amplifying it in Audacity and "alllowing clippy" (I didn't know what that meant), so there ya go! That explains the distortion.

Thanks so much!

ETA: I've been experimenting for the past few hours, and I think the best thing (for me at least) is to render the clips separately and raise the volume in the clip itself. It is VERY time consuming but it works the best! I'm going to finish in the next few days and hopefully fix the audio. But thanks everyone, for the comments on the story of the vid! I appreciate it.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome! I actually thought about you tonight because I'm working on a vid that's having issues with the audio clips being waaaay too soft to be heard over the music, so I'm pulling out my own bag of tricks, trying to get a good balance. And one of the clips is insisting on either clipping or just staying too soft to hear, grr! *digs around some more in the bag of tricks*

Anyway, I definitely know what you mean about it being a bit time consuming (and tedious ) to have to render each clip louder but I'm having the best luck with that method (except for Mr. Clippy Clip ). Hopefully the results will be worth it! *fingers crossed*

If you do end up wanting to swap out your new version of this vid, just let me or one of the other Council Members know and we'll be glad to change the embedded version on the main site and help you update the links in your main post at the top of this thread (or you can edit them yourself, whichever you prefer, but only we CMs can change that embedded link ). In cases like this where it's a revised version of the same vid, we ask for you just to edit the existing post, not resubmit it.

Good luck with your audio tinkerings (and wish me luck on mine )! ♥!
aradnea
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Make This Go On Forever by scarlett_106 Reply with quote

Very nice video. I loved all the quotes you chose. And I adore this song too. It was very entertaining to watch. Btw, I still can't watch clips from the final without getting emotional. Some show, huh?

And for the audio problem - I use to do it like Ais - it's a good method too. But I discovered a great option in Vegas. First I cut the sound clips and see which of them are too quiet (it's good to view rendered video for that, cause Vegas doesn't always gives it justice). Then I right click on the clips that are too quiet and choose option - Apply Non-Real-Time Event FX. I click 'Volume' and I push the switch all the way to the right to make it nice and loud. (You have to save that altered sound clip on your drive). Then I go back to the track view and listen to the clip again. If it's too loud I can lower it down by dragging the gain down on that specific clip. If it's still too quiet I can repeat the operation as many times as I want.
I don't know if this solution sounds better for you, but I thought I share my methods And as Ais said - it's never the same with sound in videos. Always aaalways a struggle Good luck!
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, aradnea!

Bumping this because I edited the audio and Aislynn was kind enough to change the link for me. I'd LOVE feedback on the new audio if anyone is up to it!! Thanks.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I think you really spiffed up the audio nicely, it was definitely much more consistent all of the way through! *thumbs up*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: