Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video Overlay and side-by-side images

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Video Overlay and side-by-side images Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I'm pretty new to Vegas (I use Movie Studio HD Platinum 10), and I'm also new to video overlay. I first became obsessed with the look from seeing it done in various vids and now I can finally do it. My question is - any tips for making it look not cheesy? Any tips for what the opacity should be on the original clip and the overlay clip? I think it works best when the images don't compete with each other, right? But I was wondering if anyone has tips for it to look seamless.

To see an example, this is my "I Surrender" Jate vid that I made in Vegas. I experimented a little with the overlay. Check out 2:30 to see my attempt at an overlay! Any tips?

On a relate note - anyone know how to get 2 clips side by side in Vegas? I first saw this done in Lostzilla's "Everything Changes" Jate vid like 4 years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olU4FIDpmAc). I love the effect! Anyone know how to do this? I think it might have something to do with panning but I'm not sure.

Thanks!
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as getting overlays to not look cheesy or correct, a lot of it is trial and error. It depends on the lighting-- you never want to make it look too busy or have too many large subjects in a frame.

I tend to stand by with the belief that overlays look the best if :

a. it's not overdone (I am guilty of it myself, but I have learned now lol!)

b. if you put a subject (a close up of a character) over an action or scenery shot.

There's two ways to get a clip side by side, but this way is the most effective to get it to look exactly how you want it to.

First, open Sony Vegas and you should have 2 clips the same size, on 2 different tracks, one on top of the other.

Example:

Track 1: (-----video----)
Track 2: (----video2----)

Open up the pan/crop option on each video, which looks sort of like a small square that is on the videos.

Make sure that the clips are the exact same size.

You could of course, just drag the box around the video in pan/crop and make a side-by-side video, but most of the time that doesn't work very well (looks-wise).

So once BOTH of the videos are the same size....

We play with the top layer first...

With the top layer :

In Sony Vegas in the FX tab, look for "Cookie Cutter", it will cut out a piece of a scene.

I just choose the first option on there, which says something like "circle, center". Click on this option, then drag and drop it onto the very top video.

The FX cookie cutter options opens when you apply it to the top layer.

In the cookie cutter options::

So you want to look at what opens after you've dragged and dropped it on the top video clip....

There's a drop down menu (it should be saying circle) click the arrow and select "Square" so that you can get it into that shape.

There's also a size slider, so make it reasonably sized *about 400*

There's also something called "Feather" and that will make the edges soft- which just looks more natural. This is optional. There's another optional option which makes a border around the video.

After you've changed it into square and fixed the sizing, the square piece is probably still in the center of the video... to amend that:

Still in the Cookie Cutter FX area: on the left there's a white box with a small square that has three lines in it...

Well, you can drag that around because that's the middle of the cookie cutter. Drag it to whichever side you want the video to be on (left or right) until your video is side-by-side.

You've done it!

Go to pan/crop again (the squares on the videos) and you can fix the sizing and drag it around to whenever you can see the subject.

I hope this makes sense... it's kind of hard to explain in words!! Let me know if you need clearer instructions and I will try to help you out!

http://www.youtube.com/geminivids
scarlett_106
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you so much! What a helpful reply! I would never have thought of doing different tracks. In fact, I didn't even know you could do that! haha I will try that in my next vid for sure! I thought about doing it for the final scene of my current vid but that's my first VO and multi-ship vid, so I figured don't overdo it.

Thanks so much! I will let you know how it goes (the side-by-side).
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome! I tried to make it as clear as possible, I hope you can understand it. Let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.youtube.com/geminivids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: