Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welcome to the new multifandom LVI! 6/4 - new info
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Welcome to the new multifandom LVI! 6/4 - new info Reply with quote

After 6 years of accepting only Lost-related vids, we're thrilled to at last open our doors to vids of any and all fandoms!

But before you head over to the Submit Page to start sending in your awesome other fandom vids, please take a few minutes to read this post over. Whether you're brand new to LVI or have been a long-time member, there are a few things you'll need to know. (And if you are brand new, also be sure to have a look at the "New to LVI? Start here!" thread! )

At this time, only Lost and Multi-fandom have forums dedicated solely to them. If the need arises to give other fandoms their own section, then we'll make sure they get them. But as that we're working with some limitations of our current forum build, we have to be careful not to create too many forum sections unless it's truly necessary.

Character/ship tags are now working for ALL fandoms, yay! Please read below to see how to use them for your vids.

Submitting a vid: tagging

When you submit a vid, please check to see if your fandom is already in the list of available fandoms in the pull-down menu. If so, please choose it from there. If it's not, then feel free to write it in. Try to use the full, proper fandom name instead of an abbreviated version: "Doctor Who" instead of "DW" or "Battlestar Galactica" instead of "BSG."

The character/ship tags are now working for all fandoms. However, it relies on the character/ship name that is written in being the same as the name that we've established for that character for the tag to properly link to other vids for that character. In other words, if you submit a Lost vid tagged just as "Jack," it now will no longer link to other Jack vids because we've standardized all fandom characters to use their first and last names (and nicknames as well, if applicable ), so Jack is now tagged as " Jack Shephard." Nor will a vid tagged with "Charlie/Claire" file with vids already using the existing "PB&J" tag.

The easiest thing is to simply have a look at our existing tags and choose your fandom and see if the character or ship you're looking for is already in Major, Minor, Non-Regular or Slash. If it is, please tag your vid with whatever exact name is being used for your character or ship and your vid's tags will automatically work.

However, if you make a typo or forget to check the tags first, don't worry, the Council Members can edit the tags for you. But it would definitely help us a great deal if you can catch as many of those on your own as you make your submissions, thanks!

If you're submitting a vid for a character or ship that does not yet have a tag for it or if it's for a new fandom, then just tag it the best you can. All new tags have to be created by the Council Members before they become working tags, so we'll take care of that for you. There may be certain times when we feel like a tag is not needed yet, for an obscure character that might not be likely to have more vids made for them, for one example, and in that case we'll hold off making a new tag for them until we see if there's a need for it.

Submitting a vid: song and artist names

The site is case-sensitive so (for an example coming to you straight from the 1980's ), it will create separate tags for "New Kids on the Block," "new kids on the block," "NKOTB," and any other variations. Whenever you can, please try to use the generally established name and spelling for an artist and the song title. If you truly can't find what that might be, then just go with your best guess and we'll straighten it out later. But it really will save us a ton of work editing those millions of variations down the line if you can help us keep things standardized right from the start.

If you're not sure what the name of the song or artist is (or if there is no song or artist, such as using a vid that's all sound effects or source footage audio) please use "N/A" (both in capital letters and without the apostrophes ). If you have more than one song or artist, please use "Various."

Thank you so much for your help with keeping the tags consistent! We really, truly appreciate it!

Submitting a vid: custom mature theme warning

Now that LVI allows all fandoms, the one-size-fits-all mature theme warning no longer is as helpful as before. Maybe your song contains strong language, maybe the video contains graphic violence or nudity and sexual situations. Whatever the case, many people like to have an idea of what they're in for before they watch a vid so here's your opportunity to let them know.

The submit page now contains this text box instead of a ticky box:

Quote:
If your video contains mature themes (e.g. language, nudity, violence), please list them here

So all you need to do is write in whatever applies to your vid.

You'll find that your older vids already on site that were tagged with the previous mature warning now all have "language" as the default. Feel free to edit that to whatever best applies to each vid. If you have any trouble editing the warning, please just let one of the CMs know and we'll be happy to help!

Forum rule change

We're asking that you please be sure not to share any sorts of file links anywhere on the forum board. For more specific information in terms of vidding help, see the following threads:

Song Help

Scene Request - all fandoms

Thank you so much for your help and understanding!

Monthly vid limit, Viewer Pick voting and monthly contests

At this time, we'll still be accepting only 5 vids a month (plus a contest entry) total per each vidder (not for each fandom for each vidder ).

Viewer Pick voting will still work the same as before. Here's the Keeping voting fair thread for a reminder of some of the do's and don't's of voting, which definitely applies to vids that are of any fandom, not just Lost.

We'll still be holding monthly contests, just now with a multi-fandom flair! (Though we still may hold a fandom-specific contest of some sort in the future, tune in to see! ) Just as with the original LVI, Council Members still are permitted to enter the contests. However, we're implementing a new "blind" system of voting that will completely exclude that CM from the voting process, from any sort of participation down to even being able to see any part of the voting while it's on-going. While we have always taken extra steps to insure that the playing field is as fair and level as possible in our contests, we hope that this extra step will reassure any potential lingering concerns anyone might have.

Collab Videos

Videos made as collaborations by 2 or more vidders are pretty common now and always make for cool videos! We welcome collab videos at LVI, but we want to be fair to all vidders involved. If you would like to submit a collab video, we ask that the participating vidders make a separate jointaccount. Please do not submit a collab vid under your personal account.

For those of you who've been with us for many years now, thank you! Without you, LVI would've have never survived all of these years and we're truly grateful and fortunate to have you! For those of you who are coming here for the first time, welcome! We hope that everyone will be as excited to participate in this newest incarnation of LVI as we are! So dive on in and submit your vids and watch and vote on the vids on site, both new and old. Or stop by one of the forum threads and have a chat!

Welcome to the new Multi-fandom LVI! Now, let's have some fun!

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 am; edited 9 times in total
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, that's amazing news!!!

Thanks so much for the all time and effort, guys, that you put into turning the LVI into a multi-fandom site. I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate that and I guess it will make a lot of people come back and visit the LVI more often again.

Thanks again! *hugs all around*
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that means YOU coming back more often Karolina!!

Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic news! A big thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get this going, you are awesome! <3

I can't wait to see all the new vids now!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
I hope that means YOU coming back more often Karolina!!

It sure does!

There are a lot of fandoms I love apart from Lost (and I still make vids for those fandoms and still enjoy watching other people's fanvids for those fandoms), so yeah, I'm sure that'll be me being around more often again

Can't wait to see all the new amazing multi-fandom vids!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY SO EXCITING!

*credit to stuff-and-thangs for the banner
EMMALOUISE
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Awesome
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great news! I hope I can contribute some different kinds of vids that have NO Lost characters in them.
Wickedgal
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's weird that I've been here long enough to see the before and after of LVI it's definitely cool though! Means I can start posting up new videos more often!!

Thanks for the work that's been going into making the changes happen. It must've been really difficult, and it's still ongoing, but we are really grateful! This is definitely a new era for LVI.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll cause a lot of people to return and a lot of new people to enter here which is GREAT. I want to see this place thriving and though it's doing so well a year after Lost, I think it'll do even better.
Wickedgal
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Brooke. This site needs to be loved and appreciated by more people! Hopefully opening it up to new fandoms will bring people back and we'll have more people sharing their videos!

I've just submitted my first video in over a year :O that's how much I love these freakin' changes!!

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm so excited to see this is all up and ready now! ^_^ Hopefully I'll be spending more time back here at LVI now!

icon by becca
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlies_Innocence wrote:
Yay! I'm so excited to see this is all up and ready now! ^_^ Hopefully I'll be spending more time back here at LVI now!

YOU. FREAKING. BETTER.

art by me&tammy
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great day! I'm glad to see so many people excited about Multi-Fandom LVI!!!

KAROLINA!!! *hugs* Glad to see you here, hope you come around more often!!!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uruviel wrote:
KAROLINA!!! *hugs* Glad to see you here, hope you come around more often!!!

Heya Heather! *hugs*
I sure will! I missed you guys!
(And I just noticed you made a PB&J vid to the song "To be with you". I need to see this one; I love the song! )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: