Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Off-Site Forum Launch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: The Off-Site Forum Launch Reply with quote

With the release of 3.0, and the salvation to all of our bandwidth needs, it would seem that we would now have bandwidth to spare for every video on the site. That would be nice if it was completely true, but unfortunately there's one small problem: in order to ensure that our vids hosted on the site stay hosted, we found a way so that 1 on the many seeders on the torrents comes from the actual server, meaning that every time someone downloads, a little bit of bandwidth is taken from it, no matter how many seeders are there to help it out. This means that our bandwidth is drasticly lowered, but not gone entirely. While we don't know the FULL effects of this change to 3.0, it's starting to show that we may be safe for bandwidth for a long time. But in order to keep this going for a long time, we're gonna plan safe for once. So while we can't host every video that comes on the site, like we did in 1.0, there may yet be a spot for these videos on the site.
I GIVE YOU: The Public Torrents! using the classic torrent system, which relies heavilly on seeders to host the videos, we can now upload every video that goes through LVI onto a public-supported site. Meaning now, if a vid doesn't make it onto the permanent residence on the official site, it will still be possible for it to be viewed and loved by all, as it should be. It's no longer a manner of rejection and acceptance frm the site, but merely a manner of us judges wanting to keep a "bookmark" if you will, on our favored videos. This should, in turn, not only give all those vidders who don't show up here because they don't have a vid hosted on here a reason to show up, as well as a great source of viewing material for everyone who just can't get enough lost videos While we can't guarentee you'll love EVERY vid on the public hosting site, we do hope you check it out, because there are many vids that are just great, well-done pieces, that don't make it because of lack of some minor thing. Plus, you can keep tabs on what we let in or leave out! And who doesn't want to do that!?

(THIS JUST IN: Enchirito decides to finally reluctantly gives me a new forum that i've been begging him for for weeks... yes! Buuuuut, there's a catch, it has to be named the lamest name you can think of I give you! The Hobbes Hosting Hut!! Sooooo, when this becomes a great success, don't thank Big E, okay? )
So without further ado. Let me unveil my creation. I hope you like it.

Every vid submitted as of this day will, upon the judges' decision, be placed either on the site, or in the Public Torrent, here: http://lostvideo.net/torrents/ , along with a corresponding topic in the "Hobbes Hosting Hut" (LOL) forum.
I will be the one uploading every one of these videos, at least until I hit a snag and realize it can't be done... And I will try and seed each of these for as long as possible. I'm thinking of making it a solid 3 days waiting time before I can no longer be counted on to host them, and hopefully the viewers, and the vidder who made the video, can pick up the slack and seed their own video for a while. If not, then the torrent will die, and people can post a request on the corresponding topic for me, or the vidder, to host it again. I will probably be able to respond to these fairly quickly, so if you see no seeders, don't give up on the video.
We'll see how it goes. I'll see how long I can keep up with it. And you all see how long you can put up with the change of pace show Enchirito he's wrong about my brilliant idea! Power to the people! Woooooot!

Uh... Enchirito.... can you add something about this in the "Submit" section , to tell vidders that their videos will still be put up, and make sure they're okay with the POSSIBLE public humiliation they might feel if they're really really sensitive? thanks.

anyway... POWER TO THE PEOPLE!! YEAH!!!

NOTE: This also gives people who want their video better quality a place to put the increased size version. And anyone who wants to re-submit their video, now that it can be put in the public torrents section, please do. But PLEASE make it very clear (I.e. IN CAPITAL LETTERS AT THE TOP) that it has already ben through judging, or else we'll probably end up watching it again, and trust me, we'll remember it then, and have a big "no no" straight in the email lol That is, of course, unless you've made some big changes to it, and feel it has a chance now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I so confused?

They will be listed but not hosted, so some outside party (the vidder) will need to seed it?

Could a vidder choose NOT to have theirs listed at public torrents when they submit?
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh.... if they wish that But I hoped that most people wouldn't mind, since afterall, there are a lot of videos out there that don't make it on the site, and this way they still get to be seen by people who aren't criticizing everything about it to determine whether they want it in or not
tell you what... I wouldn't possibly have the time to ask every person whether they wanted it in or not, and hopefully Enchirito can add this to the Submit section, but if they don't want their video included in the Hobbes Hosting Hut upon completion, then say it in bold letters at the top of their entry I suppose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it should be mandatory. You should only put up a torrent of a rejected vid in Hobbes's Hut if the author asks you to.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, then say in bold letters IF they want it in
could you just add another number to the submission requirements with a yes or no question if they want in Hobbes Hosting Hut in case of rejection, and add a link to this thread to describe it?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm. I think that list of submission requirements is too long and confusing as it is. Let's not add this extra layer of complexity. HHH is an optional thing anyway.

If they want to do HHH, they will find the forum, trust me.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Enchirito, you are making this VERY difficult. >.< Like seriously, does every little thing with this have to be a 2 day battle?
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
You know Enchirito, you are making this VERY difficult. >.< Like seriously, does every little thing with this have to be a 2 day battle?

Uh, I believe you have it backwards. It's you who's trying to make this more difficult.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfight!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if I could do everything on here, then I would. But unfortunately, I can't. I know it's annoying for you to be doing every little thing like this, but I have no other choice. I'm the one who gets everything done here. I do the RESPONSE EMAILS, the STAGING AREA, the PICTURES, the FORUM POSTS, respond to anything in the EMAIL, hell, I even have to mark the vids as "REJECTED" or "PASSED" because nobody else can seem to bother to count three votes. And now I'm trying to try something to improve the site a bit more, which you've already made clear as upon my head if it doesn't work out, and all I ask is that you help me actually START so people can see it. We don't get many people here in the forums, Enchirito, at least not nearly as many as all the ones who send in videos. The most I could POSSIBLY do with these boundaries is offer, in the rejection letters, an offer to put the vid in here. But you know why that's a PAIN in the ass? 1: not everyone would respond to those. 2. I would have to wait, thus missing a lot of them in the process from forgetfulness. 3. we get roughly 3 videos a day. On average, maybe one of those gets through onto the site. That's a LOT of videos every day that would need to be done, and I personally don't want to log on to see TEN new messages in the inbox about whether they want in or out of this hosting offer.

ALL you have to do is add another number asking whether they'd like to go in Hobbes' Hosting Hut upon possible rejection, someting that could certainly take the sting out of all of this. one more number isn't gonna hurt anybody. All they ever do is COPY that section, PASTE it in the email, and fill it out. And if you have some sort of FURTHER problem with that, then it can have a "(vids without this response will be treated as the "no" option)" next to it.

NOW WE SHALL DUEL!!!! TO THE BATTLEFIELD!!!!
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Hey, if I could do everything on here, then I would. But unfortunately, I can't. I know it's annoying for you to be doing every little thing like this, but I have no other choice. I'm the one who gets everything done here. I do the RESPONSE EMAILS, the STAGING AREA, the PICTURES, the FORUM POSTS, respond to anything in the EMAIL, hell, I even have to mark the vids as "REJECTED" or "PASSED" because nobody else can seem to bother to count three votes. And now I'm trying to try something to improve the site a bit more, which you've already made clear as upon my head if it doesn't work out, and all I ask is that you help me actually START so people can see it. We don't get many people here in the forums, Enchirito, at least not nearly as many as all the ones who send in videos. The most I could POSSIBLY do with these boundaries is offer, in the rejection letters, an offer to put the vid in here. But you know why that's a PAIN in the ass? 1: not everyone would respond to those. 2. I would have to wait, thus missing a lot of them in the process from forgetfulness. 3. we get roughly 3 videos a day. On average, maybe one of those gets through onto the site. That's a LOT of videos every day that would need to be done, and I personally don't want to log on to see TEN new messages in the inbox about whether they want in or out of this hosting offer.

ALL you have to do is add another number asking whether they'd like to go in Hobbes' Hosting Hut upon possible rejection, someting that could certainly take the sting out of all of this. one more number isn't gonna hurt anybody. All they ever do is COPY that section, PASTE it in the email, and fill it out. And if you have some sort of FURTHER problem with that, then it can have a "(vids without this response will be treated as the "no" option)" next to it.

NOW WE SHALL DUEL!!!! TO THE BATTLEFIELD!!!!

okay, I know you do a TON of work around here. But remember, you guys put a lot of that on yourselves. If it were just me, I wouldn't even bother with rejection and acceptance letters. Why? Because I know they are a PAIN in the ASS to keep up with! I barely have time to watch the vid being submitted.

My question is this. Why would you want to advertise HHH? People who are serious about their vids will come to you. If they can't be bothered to take a peek into the forum WHY should THEY deserve your time to hunt them down? Their vid probably sucks anyway.

But... if what I just said didn't convince you, I guess I could change the second paragraph under How It Works on the submit page to link to both the Why Was My Vid Rejected forum, and the Hobbes's Hosting Hut.

Is that okay? Either way, can we be friends again Hobbes?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're always friends E just a spat of opinions.

But yeah.... Another part of why I wanted to do this was to get those people who haven't had a vid get in more active on the forum. You notice most, if not all, the regulars on here are our great vidders, the ones who have indeed gotten their videos in here, and amaze every day. I don't think that's a coincidence... maybe if these who didn't make it have more of an incentive, it would make for a bigger forum community as well. I'm just really getting sick of responding to all these posts of "why was my video rejected" with excuses like "it was so close, but it just didn't make it", then more-or-less sending them back to square one, whether they change for the better or not... I've watched every video sent in here, read nearly every post on the forums, and I can tell, these vids are getting better. They're getting to a point where the average vid could be good enough to get on the site if this was still the beginning of 2.0. Many that we turn down deserve more than that.
Now to answer your question of why I want to advertise it: I feel that if I can't get enough vids in this thing, the entire idea will crash and burn. And maybe they don't deserve my time to hunt them down, but this way, by putting up a section on the submit page, I don't have to. Their response is right there in black and white. You want to revolutionize the Lost vidding community with this website Enchirito? well, this is the last step: cleaning up our loose ends. It will render any other simillar site useless in comparison! Lost-Media has had one up on us for too long with the threads-for-all plan where everyone posts their vids and gets instant praise. We will rule the Lost WORLD!! MWAHAHAHHA
Okay... I've been watching Carnivale too long... but anyway
What I mean is, we're just too mean I wanna give everyone that free service thing. It's not like it's costing bandwidth... And besides.... I enjoy doing it

So anyway, I'm gonna advertise this thing whether or not you're gonna help me out. Since you're offering right now, then thank you, yes, I'll take it. Maybe I'll never be able to preach my idea well enough, but anyway...
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is, if some chick sends you a music video cut together with *insert lusted after male star's name here* and home movies of herself, you must post it at the HHH. I would die to see that. Stalkers amuse me.

But in all honesty, niceness is overrated. (When you're dealing with 'the crazies!') I hate to say it, but there have been one or two times (or several) when I've been watching a video that's NOT an accepted video here on the site and I have turned it off within the first minute of play. That's never happened with a video that's been passed through the council. I'm no video snob, but there's a definate divide between what's good and what's bad here.

I don't claim to be an expert, with a whopping 2 videos under my belt, but I what I do believe is that you guys are good at what you do when it comes to judging these puppies.

I'm not sure its really desirable to me for this place to become just like the Lost-Media forums. (But that's why it's your site and not mine. Not sure it's exactly my place to go "desiring" anything about this place. ) In fact it's exactly the opposite. I like it here because those of you who frequent here are (fairly) intelligent (barring any gross misspellings), a bit older than the average L-M crowd, and you're NOT insane (much.) I think, as the site gets bigger and the forum member list keeps growing, that because of the kind of people this sort of forum would attract, that dynamic isn't going to change much.

I don't really think that the HHH is going to change that much either. Whether or not its advertised. What I've noticed is that this place is NOT a mutual admiration Hub. (Which L-M seems to be in certain ways.) I like that. I like that people can have differing opinions here. I would hate to see this place overrun with "navel gazin', no fun, complainey types."

I thought "the fuselage" was going to be "the bronze beta," well it so isn't. I'm glad I have a place where I can come and talk about Lost if I want, other stuff if I want, and throw in some video tech-help in there just for good measure.

By the way, I feel your pain in the "why was my video rejected" arena. I was going to suggest a title change to that forum just before you did it. I felt like it was putting too much on you guys - it's probably hard enough already to have to "sit in judgement" on someone's video, but then they want you to go into great detail about why it sucked? Ouch. That's a lot of 'splaining to do! I think if anything, the HHH will give the vidders who are rejected a little bit of a softer landing. Maybe they won't be so upset/dejected.

So my point is... STOP FIGHTING BOYS! Er, or something? I don't know what my point is. I'm just a blabber-mouth that's all.
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^hmm. I think I'm more on SuperKC's side of this.

But, I think we can find a good balance between the "we're too mean" and the "let's not get overrun by idiots" agruments.

I'll explain HHH on the submit page so that non-forumers will notice it. Also, keep in mind that a lot of people are lurking in the forums too. In the admin pannel I can always see 'Guests' browsing various forums. But, I think you're right Hobbes, the HHH might get some of those lurkers to register which would help our community grow.

I'll update that as soon as I get some time here, kidna busy today...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: