Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Council
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: 2010 Tourney, MCA and CM's Choice winner banners Reply with quote

2010 was quite a year. Lost reached its final episode but all of you have proven that the inspiration the show has provided was far from over with the amazing vids you've created over the past 12 months. This Tournament is the last Lost-only one that LVI expects to host but, through the participation of our loyal members and the entries from our extraordinary vidders, you've made this an extremely memorable one!

Now, after weeks of intense voting, the results are in! So without further ado, let's get to the winners! (All banners are made by the extremely talented emmasholi! )

The 2010 vid of the year, as decided by your votes, is...

LOST Open to Close || Pieces by grable24

2nd place - LOST Origins I by DJC Productions
3rd place - Prodigal - Charlie&Claire by Lost-majs

Congratulations, Lauren, your vid is amazing! I remember watching it for the first time and just going all *jaw-drop* at it. It's a beautiful, emotional recap of the entire series, very expertly done!

Big congratulations also to Dennis and Maja, who made this an incredibly tight race, separated by mere inches. You both should be extremely proud of your work!

The Members' Choice Awards are always exciting every year, watching a large field of vids to see who will emerge as the top of their respective categories. This year, we had a number of ties, so you'll see a few co-winners sharing the title.

Here are the winners of the 2010 MCAs! Congratulations to everyone!

As with the previous year, there were so many outstanding videos in 2010, we wanted to honor those that managed to stand out to the Council Members as having something particularly unique and special. Below, you'll find the 8 Council Member's Choice winners!

Congratulations again to all of the Tournament, MCA and CM's Choice winners and thank you to everybody who participated and voted! But the biggest thank you goes to the our awesome, loyal members and vidders without whom LVI couldn't have reached our 6th year anniversary! We look forward to seeing what awesome vids you'll be creating in 2011!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice Award goes to Callie1327's "I'm Drowning, I'm Slipping"

Callie described this as an experimental vid that attempts to show "more of an artsy side" and I think it was a very successful experiment! I loved the gritty, high contrast look, I thought it was an excellent choice for the song.

This is one of those vids that I've come back to and have watched a lot of times since I first saw it and each time I've noticed something a little more. My initial impression was of the fabulous beat use. She uses a variety of different techniques to reflect the different sounds of the music: quick cuts, wipe transitions, quick progressive pull-in/out as well as motion in the clips themselves that all go perfectly with the sounds they're associated with. If you notice nothing else, this is a great study in how to handle dramatic beat use in a way that looks effortless and natural.

But as if you watch more closely, you'll see that this isn't just random moments with cool beat use, her lyric interpretation and clip choices work fantastically together! I loved the way she paired similar scenes from different moments in the show, like in the "arms wrapped around me" section at :21.

Then she changes up the tempo when we get to the chorus and we see the point of the story start to pull together. From their first kiss to their last, Sawyer and Kate are drowning in each other. I love the fact that she titled this "I'm Drowning, I'm Slipping" instead of the song title itself or even just one or the other of the lyrics surrounding those words.

All of this together made for a vid that captured so much of what I love about Skate, their electric connection, their fiery passion, in just a short, concise amount of time. Not only is this vid extremely well made on a technical level but it also hits on an emotional one as well. Bravo, Callie!

I've truly enjoyed watching it dozens of times now and that's why I made it my CM's Choice for 2010.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM’s Choice video is An Island Fairytale by J.D. I’ve had this vid in mind for this since I first watched it.

Ensemble vids are difficult, & this one is so well done! The beginning clips are a great start. One of my favorite parts of vidding is good lyric use, and you really showed that in this vid! The “white trash” & “Cinderella” parts were perfect for Skate. The Richard, Jacob, & Jack clips went exactly with the lyrics, and Sayid in “Moon River” was really clever. MiB as the devil was just right!

I really like the fast-paced clip when the music picked up, and the Suliet part was really sweet. Then the quick begin, they are so good and edited perfectly! Then the song picks up more, the lyric use is still excellent and the beat use is fantastic! Cool to see the Sawyer/Charlotte scene in there, and Richard & Isabella! The “good girls died” line was very Lost, & so was the “kingdom’s under siege”. I liked seeing the Jun reunion in there, & Sayid’s death went right with the music. Ending with Jack, Sawyer, Kate & Hurley mourning their friends was sad & yet fitting.

Something else I like about this video, it’s not full of fancy transitions & coloring. It’s a straight-forward video, focused on the storyline rather than fancy effects, & I think a lot of times that makes a truly great video. Which is what this is! Excellent work!

Last edited by Uruviel on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pick

The Scarlet End - Jack & Kate by Breezelda

CM's choice vids are rarely easy; but when this time of year came around again I knew absolutely this video needed some recognition, it has stayed with me ever since I watch it, I literally think of this video every single time I hear this song.

Jate had a massive journey, and to convey it so convincingly in under three minutes, but you did it so beautifully. The use of audio in its normal tone, and then adding the echo on the more prominent and significant lines really just made it so powerful. As well as Jate counting to five together, that makes my heart cry every time I see it. The beautiful piano is the perfect accompaniment to this vid and its emotion. The colouring, as well, is perfect, the reddish tinge and glowing of the certain clips; the emotion was wonderfully expressed.

The parallel’s were awesome, like Jack on the ground in one split screen, Kate holding Jack's head as he lays down in the other screen. And the lyric interpretation was wonderful. The 'clench your fists' part was just perfect. But my favourite one was at the end. "Even if it's real; you can't stay." With the Jate ILY's followed by him leaving and the voiceover of him telling her to get on the plane *clutches chest in dramatic fashion*. Beautiful.

And finally, I have to thank you for introducing me to this song, which has quickly become one of my favourites and I'm using it in a video that is very close to my heart, purely because I heard it in this vid and it made such an impression on me.

Fantastic work, just wonderful! xoxox

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's choice is going to....One Piece For Another (PB&J) by eloramoon

Julia, you know how far you have come with your vidding and I am super proud of you! This vid is a brilliant example of how awesome your work has gotten, and it is probably one of the most unique and inspiring PB&J vids I’ve ever seen, I love it!

This video has the power to make me gasp, cry and smile. As you know, Charlie and Claire are my favourite couple and I adore the story you told with this vid. I would have LOVED to see this happen on the show! The music you used sets the atmosphere incredibly well, and lyric use is perfect: “Your protector’s coming home”, “Would you wait for me?”, “You run with the devil”. I especially like the “Tell your father I was good” with the overlays of Christian and Charlie *sniff*.

Your editing is gorgeous, I love what you did around 2:25 when MiB kills Charlie, and Claire’s “goodness” returns back to her, as shown by those lovely overlays of Jack, Kate, Carol, etc. And the manips are put together so realistically! My favourites are probably Charlie watching over Claire, Jacob showing Charlie Claire with MiB in the mirror, and Charlie tearfully watching Claire fly off in the plane. That last one in particular tugs on my heartstrings a great deal and finishes off the story in such an emotional way. I remember nearly crying when I watched that for the first time! Extremely wonderful job, Julia! 4 minutes 40 seconds of pure awesome!
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice goes to......... No Happy Ending [LOST] by Luthien3329

Congratulations!!

When it came to deciding on my CM's Choice this year I knew that I wanted my pick to represent what I truly loved about LOST, its characters. For me, Lost was never about all the never ending questions and mysteries that were constantly popping up episode after episode. What I truly loved about Lost was its beautifully written and wonderfully diverse group of characters we came to know and love. And even though we all had our favorites, every time we had to say goodbye to someone, (which, let’s face it, happened a lot on this show lol) it was always hard to take. After watching this video however, it almost makes all the death we and our favorite group of survivors had to endure bearable. To my surprise I actually found myself smiling while watching this video which I believe is only due to the amazing editing as well as the perfect song choice made by Luthien3329.

Luthien3329's Vid to the song Happy Ending by: MIKA really helps us all realize just how much these characters and this show has meant to us. The song choice is perfect, the lyrics talk about the heartbreak someone is feeling over loosing the one they love yet the song is still upbeat and you can't help but smile and think of your favorite LOST moments. This vid has us relive the heartbreak we felt when our favorite character met his or her untimely end. And even though this still may be a touchy subject for some of us, this video is not meant to make you cry. I think it’s meant to “help us remember” (to quote Christian Sheppard), how much we loved them as well as this show.

I loved everything about this video! The simple yet beautiful grayscale coloring on the clips paired with that really cool colored/blurred transition makes this video a must watch. Not to mention the wonderful pacing, great use of beloved characters and perfect clip choices. It’s no wonder why I chose this vid as my CM’s Choice!

Thank you so much for making such a beautiful vid, and Congratulations again!

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr

Last edited by Lostwithoutdom on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:07 am; edited 4 times in total
Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's Choice is going to:
Theres no place like home by Kaory

I choose to honor this video as my CM's choice because the emotional pull of the video that grabbed me into the story, was really amazing. Firstly, I commend you for making this story. I don't normally make videos with complex stories or AU's, and I really admire vidders who do because it takes a lot of time, effort, creativity and thought, and it looks like you've used all of those to make this awesome video possible! I really believe this video deserves credit for its beautiful story and its captivation upon which it had on me. It was gorgeously well made and just tugged at my heartstrings! From start to finish, the Sana relationship was just glowing with beauty and love!

In the beginning, with the car crash, was so emotionally beautiful, and when he started to remember her too. The song also, with it's simiplistic piano beats gave an effect on the scene with the car crash, and the clips of Ana-Lucia and Sawyer just staring passionately at eachother. I thought that scene was so touching and moving, and along with the song, made it even more beautiful. I loved how the memories started to flow immediately after the car crash, that Sawyer started to remember about Ana-Lucia glowed like pretty jewels and the coloring was so vibrant. Then, the entire bit about Ana-Lucia being pregnant and you using the audio of Juliet, really got me believing the story. Not just that audio choice but all of your audio choices between Ana-Lucia and Sawyer matched together in a lovely way. Wonderful clip choices also contributed to the angelic flow of the video. I especially loved 1:45 to 1:49 when Ana-Lucia was overlayed over Sawyer and she slowly faded away.

I really admired your creativity in this video and how you were able to portray such emotion throughout the entire video...from saddness, love and happiness, just everything. I loved the dazzling coloring and gorgeous flow to the video. I really enjoyed watching this video with a captivating story and splendid ending to finish Congratulations on this award! I truely believe this was video was excellently made and it achieved a completely touching story.

Last edited by Jinlovessunxx on Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CM's choice is:
First Time - Sawyer/Kate by Dzhelina

When it came to choosing a video for my CM choice, I had this video in my head as I had been in love with the video since first seeing it. I knew that I wanted to choose a video which potrayed my love for skate and I believe this video shows this. Being a little skater this makes me squee everytime I watch it, and is a video that I haven't forgotten.

I enjoy watching Skate AU's, especially this one. I love the fluidity this video has with the AU life of Skate after she gets into Sawyer's taxi. The AU scenes are perfect, and I love how you even make the breakfast scene AU as Kate is already in the kitchen scene with Sawyer, but you make it work so well. To show everything that you did within just over 2 minutes was pure brilliance, as was the idea of the video. Your AU scenes worked so well for the idea of the video, from the breakfast, to the shower to the con scene. Upon watching the first bit of the video I wasn't sure if I was going to like the text on screen, but I did come to like it, and it helped make your video stand out. Something that I liked about your video was that you didn't use audio, yet you were able to tell your story well without it.

I love how you round the video off with them crashing on the island, but this time they are a couple on the island and you show that perfectly with a great choice of scenes You end the video with 'home' and I believe that it works really well with your video, as they didn't really fit in, in the world that they live in but once they crash onto the island they are finally at home with each other and I really like that.

I loved your song choice as well, Lifehouse have always been a favourite band of mine, and especially this song is one of the bands favourites for me. Using this song just made the video stand out even more for me, just let it fit together so perfectly. The colouring was great also, it made me feel warm and homely which helped represent the video, it made me feel happy inside while watching it, and that was just by the use of colour.

Finally, thank you for making this video, I truly love it. As a skater this is one of my favourite Skate videos to date, the whole concept is truly brilliant and you make it work in such a way that I love making it my CM choice.
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I've decided to give my CM's Choice award to who in the world am i? by A_Ewiess

I remember being completely blown away by this video the first time that I saw it, and it's certainly stuck with me ever since. When you watch so many videos, it's pretty rare for one to stick out so clearly and be so memorable. For me, this video is Jack Shepard.

Firstly, I adore the title 'who in the world am i?'. That quote from Alice in Wonderland and the audio of Jack reading it from the book at the beginning of the video perfectly sets the theme. The way in which it's edited creates a beautiful atmosphere which mirrors the mystery in the words. I love it's fluidity; the cross fading transitions, blurs, slowed down clips, gradual in-and-out zooms, and fading colouring, all work in perfect in harmony to generate such a unique tone. The song choice was fantastic and ties-in perfectly with the theme of the video, it has such a wonderful, mysterious flow to it.

One of my favourtie parts is at 0:10 where there's that beautiful change in the music and you chose to use the scene of Jack looking at his reflection in the water. I just love how the movement in the clip, with the ripples in the water, works so perfectly with the notes in the song. Another of my favourites, is around 0:15 where the turning of Jack's head, the blur, and the change from black and white to colour, ends right on the end beat of Jack's "Ahhh" audio. I also just love how the clip choices throughout really show the emotion the character is feeling at each point.

One of Ahmed's great achievements with this video, I think, is his use of text. I've experimented using text myself (often resulting in me giving up ) and have seen it used unsuccessfully in the past. It's a difficult thing to master, but this video it a prime example of just how well it can be used, really adding something to the video. The font choice, it's colour, size variations, placement, and movement, make it interesting without detracting from the video content itself. It's subtle and in-keeping with the whole atmosphere that's been created.

The audio choices were brilliantly made and really tell a story. By the end of the video the viewer most definitely has a clearer view of exactly who Jack is. The question posed at the start of the video is answered! This is such a fantastic character study of Jack and really shows his relationship with his Dad and how that's made him who he is today!! It's one of those videos that I could just watch over and over again. I also think that it's such a good representation of the show and its brilliant writing. It'd be a great video to show to someone who's never watched Lost before because it's a fantastic portrait of such a complex character.

A beautifully made, superb piece of work; that's why it's my CM's choice! Congratulations!!!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, everybody who voted for my vid! And big congratulations to my co-winner, Jen. I loved "United State of Pop!"

Congrats to everybody who won a banner and to everybody who had a vid in any of the categories. They're all winners to have even earned a spot in the MCAs!

Thanks bunches for the gorgeous banner, Emma! I love it! ♥!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to all the winners. I thought the videos were really fantastic this year.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the banners Emma! You've really outdone yourself this year! They look so fantastic!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the tourney winners!! Definitely the three faves of mine this year!! and congrats to all the tourney winners, this was an epic final tourney for us!

Thanks so much for the banners Emma, im with nik, you outdid yourself! beautiful

DJC Productions
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the banners, they look great. Congrats to Lauren. I knew that vid would win the tourney the first time I watched it. Absolutely incredible.

Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to everyone! This tourney had so many awesome videos!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: