Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

thefilmchick's Videos ("The Prisoner", 11/28)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandom Videos Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: thefilmchick's Videos ("The Prisoner", 11/28) Reply with quote

Right, so I've finally embarked on videos beyond Lost, and I love The Prisoner more than Lost; it is what I hoped Lost would evoke. So, behold. I am not sure if it is sacrilegious to make a video using this show, but I think it turned out well, and at least it's a fairly unusual show to do this to!

(2:49)
Youtube
NamasteNikkiTown

Music: Elvis Costello (off Armed Forces)
Show: The Prisoner, 1967-68

Spoiler-free save for brief shots from a few non-finale episodes ("The Chimes of Big Ben," "Free for All," and "Many Happy Returns") that you need to have seen to know they're spoilers.

Lyrics:
Spoiler:

There's a smart young woman on a light blue screen
Who comes into my house every night
And she takes all the red, yellow, orange, and green
And she turns them into black and white

But you tease, and you flirt
And you shine all the buttons on your green shirt
You can please yourself but somebody's gonna get it

Better cut off all identifying labels
Before they put you on the torture table

'Cause somewhere in the quisling clinic
There's a shorthand typist taking seconds over minutes
She's listening in to the Venus line; she's picking out names
I hope none of them are mine

But you tease, and you flirt...

Never said I was a stool pigeon
I never said I was a diplomat
Everybody is under suspicion
But you don't wanna hear about that

'Cause you tease, and you flirt...

Better send a begging letter to the big investigation
Who put these fingerprints on my imagination?

You tease, and you flirt...

You can please yourself but somebody's gonna get it

I will give a cookie to anyone (Paul?) who knows why I've credited Patrick McGoohan as Paddy Fitz at the end, too.

Last edited by thefilmchick on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely one of your best vids yet, Kate!

The flow and beat use are fantastic, and the song works perfectly for the subject.

FYI, for anyone who hasn't seen The Prisoner, don't let that keep you from watching. I haven't seen the original, either, but that didn't effect my enjoyment of this vid. It's really fun even if you're not super familiar with the footage.

Kate: And yes... I will watch the original someday. This is a great plug for it, IMHO.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the best show ever (well, tied with the Flying Circus). You must watch! Immediately!

Seriously, I'm working on another Prisoner vid in which you might be shocked how heavily Lost borrowed from bits and pieces. (There's a lighthouse! The strapped-in-videos technique that the Others did to Karl! And that's just the start...) It's the classic surreal mind-screw show -- about a spy who resigns from his job and is knocked out at his apartment, only to wake up in a mysterious Village from which he tries to escape, time and again, both literally and figuratively.

Glad you liked the video and it made an objective sort of sense without ever seeing the show, though! I tried hard to make everything gel with this one, to make it accessible to folks unfamiliar with the series, and I hope it showed.

(If anyone is interested, The Prisoner is up on Youtube, for certain episodes. It's not entirely necessary to watch it in its given order (there are some obsessive fan orders which vary certain episodes' places), but make sure 'Arrival' is first, and 'Once Upon a Time/Fall Out' is last. And don't watch it all in one shot or you will be way too spaced-out from it. I haven't even managed it -- it's a very intense show.)
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that was great Kate! I've never seen this show but your video kept my interest...that's a sign that your editing was good! Loved your lyric interpretation and your beat use was cool! I loved all the fast beats at the end!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nikki! Glad you enjoyed it despite not having seen the show. The lyrics have been tied with the show, in my mind, since I started vidding -- just hadn't had The Prisoner on my computer for a while, thanks to dialup -- but I caved in a few weeks ago and bought the DVDs (already have the old-school VHS copies with the 'coming up' advertisements for the show from the '60s -- the advertisements are actually great, kitschy fun.)
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another one who has never seen The Prisoner, but loved this vid-the beat use was great, as was the way you used the lyrics of the song.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Becca! Glad you enjoyed it! Stay tuned for the next one, if you'd like -- sometime this weekend. It'd be up tonight but I have a concert to head to in three hours or so, so...
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kate I really enjoyed your vid! The simple editing worked very very well! I really liked your use of fades and zooms, and the beat use was great! The music you chose also was excellent, it just seemed to fit Brilliant lyric use too. You've really improved in your vidding! Are you going to make anymore Lost vids or are you just sticking to The Prisoner for now?
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jemma; thanks for giving this a look-see! Glad you liked it.

Re. your question: I was irritated, frustrated, and disappointed by the Lost finale and the course of the last season -- very much so. In my view, it was a hugely missed opportunity, and a cheap cop-out, and it soured me on Lost a little. (Not stating this as fact, mind you! Just my opinion.) So I'm not sure if I'll get my mojo back for the show. I've got a couple of half-worked-on videos for it, but they might not see the light of day. I'm not saying "Never again" or anything, but not for a bit, at least, although that's obviously subject to change!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandom Videos Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: