Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What induces people to watch some vids and not others?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is so interesting!

I hope it will help newer vidders (and people like me who have been around a couple years but still get a little fretful after posting a vid) to see that there are all kinds of really good reasons why a video isn't getting hits, but none of them should be taken personally.

Thanks again everyone for responding!

<3
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great discussion, Julia. Like Ais & Kat, I watch pretty much every video posted on here, as impartially as I can, so I'll try to answer as if I were not a CM.

1) What induces you to watch a particular vid? Are you drawn more to certain types of vids (AU/Ship/etc.)? Do you tend to stick mostly to vids by friends and favorite vidders?
I honestly rarely look at who the vidder is before I watch a vid. Sometimes a certain song will jump out at me, or a ship that I really like.

2) What deters you from watching a vid? Do you shy away from new vidders? Do you skip over vids because of the music or genre?
Not at all, I think a lot of new vidders bring something new & different. As for music, if I were just watching vids on YT, I would probably not watch videos using music I don't like.

3) Are you more likely to click on a vid if it has an interesting title, title graphic, or description?
The title or graphic has no effect on me, and I don't usually read descriptions very carefully. If a video needs a long description in order to make sense, it is probably not that well done.

4) Do you pimp your vid to your friends? If so, how?
I post my videos here, on Youtube, and on my site. I don't really do any kind of "advertising".

5) What sorts of things do you do as a vidder to try and attract people to your vid?
I just try to make vids unique. I don't put a whole lot of thought into trying to make them so that other people like them. I like to vid ships/characters that I'm a fan of, using music I love, and usually be pretty fast and on the beat, which to me makes vids more exciting. If I'm happy with the way they turn out, I try not to dwell on whether a lot of people watch/like them or not.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: What induces people to watch some vids and not others? Reply with quote

1) What induces you to watch a particular vid? Are you drawn more to certain types of vids (AU/Ship/etc.)? Do you tend to stick mostly to vids by friends and favorite vidders?

I don't really have a specific type of video that I stick to when I watch videos.I love AU's if they have a good story and I'm drawn to alot of ship videos.I personally like a good light hearted video that's not about all the drama.If the video catches my eye and I have the time,I'll watch it regardless of it's style.

I don't stick to videos made by only friends or favorites.I'll watch anyone's videos.Sometimes people send me videos on Youtube and if it's a Lost video, I'll watch it.If it's not a Lost video than I'll watch it if I'm familiar with the show,movie or artist featured in it.

2) What deters you from watching a vid? Do you shy away from new vidders? Do you skip over vids because of the music or genre?

I don't shy away from new vidders.I usually click on a video and have already started watching it before I look to see who made it.Who made a video is never a factor in whether I watch a video or not.I'll watch anyones videos.

I have skipped videos in the past because of music.There are some genres of music I don't like and I won't watch videos with music from those genres.
I'll admit I'm not much of a fan of country music but I do sometimes come across videos that are so good that I forget about the music.

I'm open to music from popular artist as well as lesser known artists.Lost videos have introduced me to music I'd have never listened to if not for the videos.

I don't seek out videos featuring characters I don't like,but I would watch them if they have an interesting story or song I like.

3) Are you more likely to click on a vid if it has an interesting title, title graphic, or description?

I don't let the title picture turn me away from watching a video.It can be hard to sum up your video in a picture.I have a hard time finding a good picture for my videos.An interesting title does help but I'm just as drawn to a title that has nothing to do with the song as I am to one that is the song title.

Description can be a big factor for me.I don't really like when a video just reads something like 'Jate video'.I want to know something about it.I've made the mistake in the past of writing too much information on my videos,so it's good to have some mystery especially for AU's.Also in videos marked Mature Theme, I like to have a more specific idea of what it is in your video.I won't watch videos that are really graphic,and so sometimes because a video fails to be specific about what the mature theme is,I skip it.

Not really.I might send out a Holiday video to my Youtube friends and subscribers but it's not for views it is just a friendly gesture.

5) What sorts of things do you do as a vidder to try and attract people to your vid?

I don't know that I do anything to attract people to my videos.I just make videos I like and am proud of and post them on Youtube and here.
Often times my favorite videos are the ones that don't get as many views.
My most viewed video isn't actually a music video,it's a Lost theory in video form.I think people watch it so they can argue about it.If I could figure out what attracted so many people to it,I'd be doing that in all my videos.

Hope that helps.This was a good thread topic.

Macaila
EMMALOUISE
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good topic, i totally get where your coming from
I watch as many vids as i can, i do prefer vids of my fav ships charcters etc.. but i will still watch the vids i don't ship, Song choice is really important for me i like to hear never vidded songs and if its a song i really don't like i proberbly wont watch, i love AU couples and au vids so i always watch them. I love drama vids filled with emotion so they always draw me to them.

If the clips are bad i wont watch, i don't shy away from genres i don't know because i've found alot of great shows that way. I don't shy away from new vidders because everyone has to start somewhere my first few vids were terrible but what help me improve was the great feedback and concrit i was given I dont like vids with really upbeat/happy songs and the vidder hasn't acknowledged the beats

possibly, the description doesn't really matter to much because i do think a vid should speak for itself

On occasion if im proud of it or i know it wont get alot of comments, at the moment thats the vampire diaries for me

I don't overanalyze it, i just put my work out and if people like it thats fab
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: