Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Terms in Vidding..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
namaste nikki
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Help with Terms in Vidding.. Reply with quote

This may have been posted before, But I can not find anything on it.

I have been seeing more contest's on YT and Collab groups etc. and there are always terms with NO explanation. I feel so dumb reading things sometime, cause I have No Idea what they are talking about...

Example- Type: Any. AU/Canon/Crossover or OC are all fine.

um..I have an idea for the most part what some things are, but does anyone know of a website or something that gives definitions on things?

I remember back in the day when I first started I had to message Nikki Monique and ask what AU was?? I know I can just google stuff, but it's hard to find out sometimes...

Figure this was worth a shot to see what is out there for people, like my self who is just starting to really get into vidding and I admit I fell intimidated at times....
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you know what AU means canon is something that is true to the show like Jate is canon but Kuliet is not. Crossover is when you pair a character from Lost with a character from say Private Practice like my Stay vid which I know you have seen. and OC stands for original character. You pick an actor to portray a fictional character you've made up or written a fanfic for. For example say you made up a character named Jen and used the actress Kate Winslet to portray her in your vid. A great example of an OC vid is Kat's
"Someone We'll Never Know" I hope that makes sense.
http://lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=7764

PS I love looking at your Kuliet banner

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
namaste nikki
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! It really helps. I feel like such a dork reading things sometimes.

Thanks for the comment on the banner. I love Kuliet!!!
Thanks again honey!!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, don't ever feel bad asking about things like that, there definitely are a bunch of abbreviations in vidding out there and often there's no place to go to find out what they mean! I think we need a vidder's dictionary or something, lol! I had to ask what an OC was because I wasn't familiar with it at all when original characters started popping up in vidding.

Back when I first started reading fanfiction, I kept seeing stories marked as "gen" and thought it meant "generic." I'm so glad I didn't ever tell anybody I liked their "generic" fic, lol! (It stands for general and pretty much is used to indicate it's not a romance. )

Anyway, always feel free to ask about something that you're not sure of, we're always glad to help around here!
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being confused myself when I first came here and I found a link (I think it was in a thread actually on LVI but it probably got lost pages back) to a vidding glossary.

Anyway, I googled it and found the same glossary here: http://harmony-vids.com/vidding-glossary/ . It's really useful and has most, if not all, the terms I can think of . Hope that helps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: