Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARG! Why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: ARG! Why? Reply with quote

Why was my video "Enter Sandman" rejected?
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be upset about a video not making the cut, it happens to a lot of people and for many different reasons. Unfortunately there is limited space and we can't take everything. That said, I will give you further detail in two sections; The Nice, and The Critical.

THE NICE: I think you have great potential as a vidder, but there were a few things that just didn't sit with me personally. When I watch your videos I can feel the drive and passion and get the sense that you really enjoy doing this. If you haven't seen them already, I think you could really benefit from watching some of Hobbes training videos and see if you can immulate some of those ideas into your next video.

THE CRITICAL: I thought several of the clips were long, especially for a fast-paced video. This isn't just the individual clips either, but when you have a long sequence of clips from the same scene it can become kind of stale, which for me didn't quite fit the fast paced nature of the song.

Also, due to the length of the song (over five minutes) I think was stretching it a bit for a minor character (though I find him one of my favorites). There are two ways around this issue of length; 1. shorten the song (this can be tricky, though, if you don't know what you're doing and you don't want to do it half assed) or 2. simply chose another song (I understand you did this one as a request, but still) Because of it's length, it felt like there was a lot of filler clips of other characters that, to me anyway, just didn't quite fit.

ABOVE ALL ELSE: Don't let this silly rejection or ANYTHING I may have said dissuade you from doing more videos. Like I said above, I really think you have some potential to and would love to see what else you can do and come up with. And it seems like you're getting A LOT of praise on the Lost-Forums board for your videos. You should definitely be proud of that.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Jake said there, especially that last part. Very nicely said Jake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments and feedback. The part where you said I have potential, and you can tell I love doing this really made me smile, because I do. And no amount of rejection will stop me from making videos. I've only been making videos for about two weeks, and it is already one of my hugest passions.

Well, I will take your suggestions and go at it again.

Thanks!

P.S. Can you tell me why my other vids were rejected? I asked in a different thread, but got NO replies.

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welll... hmmm.... I think a good place to start would be to recommend that you watch these two training videos: http://www.lostvideo.net/submit.php
ever since I put those on here, they've helped immensely in getting vidders that chance they need to make it through. We see that love in the vid, and what you're trying to say with it, but the details of how you do it need to be improved a bit. Try watching those, and read up in the corresponding thread in this forum if you can't read the words well enough, and it will hopefully give you that advice you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. I've already seen the first. I'll go watch the second. I hope it helps me some.
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, instead of opening up an entirely different thread just to ask the same question... I figured it was just pointless, so I will just ask the obvious question here:

Why was my video 'The Ship' rejected?

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, watching it as we speak... hmmm... lets see...

Well let me start this out by saying that once again, you have great clip choices. They always convey the feelings well rather than the actions... which sounds kinda frilly and stupid, but it's true those long looks the characters give just adds so much to a slow video...
Well this didn't make it for many small reasons bunched together mostly... 1. the clipping still needs work. It's good for a beginner, but you just need a little practice is all. Try using more effects and transitions between the clips, especially the big scene changes (like from say, Sayid/Shannon to Claire/Charlie) now, I know it looks really tacky when they're used too much, but if you try to have an even space then I think it could work out well, but don't overuse the fancy ones, like the heart one >.< LOL
once again, that damn WMM is messing you over with the messy clips I talked about >.< it's SUCH a pain in the ass... and I'm sory you have to deal with it like this... but if you do those effects/etc. hopefully it'll take the sting out of most of it, or else you can just do the manual job of fixing them up... but that's really hard to do unless you want to review your vid for hours after you finish the first copy... which most people do but nm... lol
Well, then there's just a little problem with disjointed kinds of videos, that show everyone... I know it's cute and all, and sometimes can look nice, but does it have a point really? Yes, this is probably being too critical, but what the hey, it's what I do
You've got a long way to go with the practise as far as some parts go, but you definitel have the talent for emotional clips... or at least in my opinion from watching all your videos so far. Just keep working at it a bit... don't worry about fixing ALL of that stuff I said there, but just think about it for a little while... I'd like to see you try some wild style that you haven't done before, like a comedy one, or soemthing like that, chalenge yourself with it then make sure you've tried and gotten rid of the messy clipping (STUPID PIECE OF ____ WMM!!!!!) and turn it in, and you've got a shot.
Also, watch a few more vids on here, just to see some of the other types of syle, they can probably teach you more than my writing ever will... and put up your vid on YouSendIt.com on here, so you can show the rest of the peeps your video, I'm sure they'd love to see it.
Hopefully I didn't say anything in there to discourage you too much you've got some talent, you just need more practice.

P.S. - watch that second trainer if you haven't allready, it may help with finding some of the common error stuff...
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got both training vids practically memorized by now. But thanks for the comments!

You said to try something humorous. I'm working on a Hurley vid to Barnaked Ladies' "If I Had A Million Dollars." Humorous enough? But right now, my main focus is a Sawyer vid to Kid Rock's "American Bad Ass." But the thing that's been holding me up was the question: During the line, "Yeah, I saw your band jumping around on stage like a bunch of wounded ducks. When are you gonna learn, sucka, you just can't ____ with..." should I show DriveShaft in concert?

*sigh*

Thanks again for the comments. I'll do what you said.

SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could intermix it with a couple of darker scenes from his flashbacks to make it look (kinda) like he is watching the concert?
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I could try that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: