Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overlay advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alyssap22
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Overlay advice? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any overlay advice? Every time I try to do one it comes out really dark
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program are you using? If you should happen to have Sony Vegas Movie Studio, for example, and you're trying to follow a tutorial that calls for track compositing, the only option you have is multiply, which does make things so dark they're practically unusable unless you just get very lucky with really bright scenes.

If you're just basically putting one track over-top the other and fiddling around with the opacity of the top track, I've found that often certain clips just don't overlay well, they're either too dark or too busy and everything just turns into a weird mass of stuff that's just hard to tell what's going on.

Anyway, if you can give a little more detail about the procedure you're trying to use and what the results you're trying to achieve, hopefully we'll be able to help with some pointers.
alyssap22
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Movie studio and have been using the multiply effect
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do too. And it does get dark.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it'll be really dark on multiply, unfortunately. This is what I do:

1. For just regular "one picture over another picture" type of overlay, then I don't use track compositing at all and just turn down the opacity of the top clip until I get the mix of seeing both clips the way that I want.

2. For something like a texture, the trick is in finding a texture that will let you brighten up the clips underneath it enough that you can see through it. I've found that a splotchy sort of texture (with a big mix of dark and light) doesn't work very well and that you're better off with a texture that's almost all one color and has a minimum amount of graininess to it. Otherwise, if you have a lot of dark colors or dark places in the texture, you're never going to be able to see the clips underneath through it. Then it's just a matter of turning the brightness up very high on each clip and adjusting it until you can hopefully see the action through the texture.

It's much trickier with Movie Studio than with the full version of Vegas unfortunately but there are still ways to try to approximate the same sort of overlay effects with a bit of fiddling around with the controls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: