Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Last Movie You Saw?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I watched Wall Street.

Curious: What did you think about Gordon Gecko?

I am caught between amused and semi-weirded out by the fact that the stupid Lifetime movie is willing to show us Rose McGowan's character, as the usual 'bad seed,' goring people and bludgeoning them to death, as well as the spatter impact of gunshot deaths

BUT

it still felt the need to censor the following line, after Rose McGowan gores the dumb high school jock who was trying to take advantage of her: "No means no. Don't you get it? It's like you guys stop thinking when you get a *bleep*."

Obviously, the bleep was some variant of 'hard on' or the like. Why is that so terrible? It wasn't even used in a sexual way. We are so bizarre in the US, with our censorship of stupid things and allowance of worse.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Quote:
And I watched Wall Street.

Curious: What did you think about Gordon Gecko?

I am caught between amused and semi-weirded out by the fact that the stupid Lifetime movie is willing to show us Rose McGowan's character, as the usual 'bad seed,' goring people and bludgeoning them to death, as well as the spatter impact of gunshot deaths

BUT

it still felt the need to censor the following line, after Rose McGowan gores the dumb high school jock who was trying to take advantage of her: "No means no. Don't you get it? It's like you guys stop thinking when you get a *bleep*."

Obviously, the bleep was some variant of 'hard on' or the like. Why is that so terrible? It wasn't even used in a sexual way. We are so bizarre in the US, with our censorship of stupid things and allowance of worse.

Gordon is very fascinating. I am actually tempted to see the new sequel because the majority of the cast is coming back. Even Oliver Stone is directing it.

I am not a huge Oliver fan when he does movies based on history because it's a blurred version.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFK bored me to tears, but I saw it in theaters when it came out. I think I was about 10? It did not appeal to 10-year-olds, even nerdy ones like me.

You should see Salvador. It's my favorite of his and probably his best. James Woods as a twitchy American journalist in the El Salvadoran civil war/military coup of the late 1970s.

I also liked Heaven and Earth, much more than Platoon.

W. was much less biting than it should have been. Alexander was a trainwreck of epic (intentional) proportions. Natural Born Killers was decent but not as utterly astonishing as it wanted to be.

I have not seen and will not see World Trade Center (Nobody died whom I knew personally, but being from New York (even upstate) and attending college in Massachusetts, I have close friends who had personal relationships with people who died, so I will not watch films like that or United 93. It's not an ethical thing, just a personal quibble.)

Awful Rose McGowan film with the awful title 'Devil in the Flesh' has a sequel (!), 'Devil in the Flesh 2,' not starring Rose McGowan (or anyone else remotely famous), which I am now watching. It's even worse.

Last edited by thefilmchick on Tue May 18, 2010 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander was awful.

I haven't watched anything 9/11 related. I don't know if I could. I don't know anyone who died...I just I don't know...I don't want to see it for a lot of reasons.

I haven't seen a lot of Oliver Stone's movies. I wasn't a huge fan of The Doors, Nixon wasn't too bad.

I agree about W.

Jawbreaker...I saw Jawbreaker, Rose was in that.

Julie Benz had some great dialouge with the actor who played her dad.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen The Doors or Nixon. I like The Doors' music but somehow I don't think Val Kilmer has the right... morbidity, I guess, to play Jim Morrison, who was all about sex and death. Kilmer seems much more 'light,' somehow.

I think another reason I won't watch 9/11 movies outside of documentaries (I have watched a couple of those) is because I saw the second plane hit on TV. It was my junior year of college, and I was just leaving the dorms to go to class, and this girl from Hawaii was sitting there watching TV (at that time, the first plane had already hit.) I wasn't really paying attention, and said, "Hey, Crystal, what movie is that?"

She just looked at me. I mean, I don't think I've ever seen pure horror more than I saw then. And then she shook her head, and I heard the newscaster, and going to class didn't matter anymore. I watched the second plane hit on live TV.

Having seen the real thing as it happened, I find it very odd to watch fictionalized portrayals. The first televised tragedy I remember was the Challenger explosion in 1986, when I was five. I think I'd have a similar (if admittedly more muted) reaction if someone made a fictional film of that.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="thefilmchick"]Haven't seen The Doors or Nixon. I like The Doors' music but somehow I don't think Val Kilmer has the right... morbidity, I guess, to play Jim Morrison, who was all about sex and death. Kilmer seems much more 'light,' somehow.

Kilmer was actually pretty good as Morrison. My issue was it just jumped all over the place.

I was taking tests, they're tests every year in high school and I thought these kids were talking about a movie, and then they tell me it's not a movie, and it's just horrifying, it was so hard to take tests at that time.

It's hard to watching fictionalized stories of something like that.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched The Road and it was really well done, the acting was marvelous but it's such a depressing movie.

It's like I am Legend but 10x more realistic if the world really did end.

Viggo was just remarkable, but wow the movie just pulls you down in this funk of depression.
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched "It's Complicated" yesterday.

That movie sort of appropriately named. The only way they could do one better is if they called it "It's Complicated And Goes On For Far Too Long And There's Not Really Any Conflict, So Go Watch Transformers Instead."

That's a much more appropriate title.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NepEnut wrote:
I watched "It's Complicated" yesterday.

That movie sort of appropriately named. The only way they could do one better is if they called it "It's Complicated And Goes On For Far Too Long And There's Not Really Any Conflict, So Go Watch Transformers Instead."

That's a much more appropriate title.

hahaha! I'll make note to avoid that one then!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do live musicals count? (OK, not really, but I can't resist shilling this.)

Back from the City. I just saw 'American Idiot' (the musical) on Broadway. Highly, highly recommended, coming from someone who's seen about a dozen Broadway shows, most on Broadway.

If you go, look for my name on the wall (and in silver pen on the trashcan near the door). Those of you who don't know my name, look for the one with the date underneath it with a jagged underline
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome Kate. I've been dying to see that one, mainly because American Idiot is one of my favorite Green Day albums, and Green Day is most definitely one of my all-time favorite bands.

It was in Berkeley for awhile (which is about an hour & a half away from me), but I never had the chance (or money) to go
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what touring productions do, but if you go to the City, get your tickets the day of the show from one specific tkts booth (NOT the one in Times Square; the one down on the Seaport on... Front Street, if I recall?). They sell tickets at half-price in both places, but the Seaport booth opens a full hour ahead of the one in Times Square. And yes, that hour matters. Get there an hour to a half-hour earlier than the scheduled opening time; it's not that bad of a wait but the longer you are willing to wait the better seats you get (I got mine with just a half-hour wait, for a Friday night showing.)

Doing that, I got an aisle seat ticket on second row mezzanine (again, day of the show) for $60ish. Definitely not a bad deal!
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Memento for the first time a few days ago, even though the movie is from the year 2000. Anyone else seen/remember it? It was pretty interesting. Although that might be because I'm a psych major.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it extremely interesting.
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched "Across the Universe" last week and it was really a good movie. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it and likes the Beatles.

http://www.youtube.com/geminivids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: