Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are your hopes for the finale reasonable?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Are your hopes for the finale reasonable? Reply with quote

This short article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127019864&sc=fb&cc=fp and others have got me to wondering if the average avid fan's expectations for the finale are even reasonable.

Ideally, I think most of us want a perfect happy ending, yet with the mysterious complexity we've come to love, some kind of epic twist, and for every question ever posed to be answered. But is that reasonable? Can those things really co-exist? Is it too much to ask for a 2 1/2 hour finale?

So, here are my questions for you:

1) In full honesty, is there any reasonable way this can end that will leave you satisfied?

2) Without being too specific, what sorts of things must the finale include in order for you to feel satisfied when it's over?

3) If it doesn't go your way, can you acknowledge that it's their story to tell and walk away happy? Or will you throw away your DVDs and feel like the last six years were a total waste?

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm hoping that we're not all as unreasonable as articles (like the one above) are making us out to be.

~ Julia
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answers:

Quote:
1) In full honesty, is there any reasonable way this can end that will leave you satisfied?

I am very open-minded about the finale. I'm willing to sit back and absorb the story they want to tell, even if it doesn't fit my ideal ending. I think the only way I could be disappointed is if it seemed half-a$$ed and left major threads un-tied. But I believe the writers care about the show too much to do that, so I have full faith that the ending will be awesome, even if it is not what I expected or hoped for.

Quote:
2) Without being too specific, what sorts of things must the finale include in order for you to feel satisfied when it's over?

I don't have any "demands" per se, but I think my wish list is really just to see resolution in both timelines and to have things neatly tied together. But I'm not going to cry if they don't spend an hour on why Aaron *really was* special afterall, or twenty minutes on what happened to Charlie's body after Through the Looking Glass.

Quote:
3) If it doesn't go your way, can you acknowledge that it's their story to tell and walk away happy? Or will you throw away your DVDs and feel like the last six years were a total waste?

Yes! I know it would be impossible for the writers to make all the fans happy, so I understand that they have to craft an ending that satisfies themselves as writers. If they tried to please all the fans, it would be such a ridiculous mish-mosh of an ending, it'd take 22 episodes just to end it and it would make no sense. And, even if by some strange twist of fate the finale is terrible... like, they gave it to a bunch of 6th graders who'd never even seen the show and had them write it,, I still wouldn't feel like that somehow invalidated everything that came before it. I *hated* the way the X-Files ended, but I still love the series and the characters. I still love my favorite episodes. I would feel the same with Lost.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL no my hopes aren't reasonable at all....but I'll take what I can get I'm hoping for a happy Jate ending or I'd even settle for Skate...but if that doesn't happen I'm not gonna throw away m y DVDs...lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Are your hopes for the finale reasonable? Reply with quote

As far as answering every question, probably not. I'd like things to make some kind of intuitive (as opposed to logical) sense and for most of the major questions to be answered. Considering the last few episodes have been (in my book) a waste, I'm kind of feeling my hope start to dwindle a bit, here.

In terms of the broad plot: Some kind of scientific angle rather than "electromagnetism who cares lol," which seems to be how they're going. A purpose for the Dharma Initiative and Alvar Hanso. Less of the quasi-spiritual allusions, which have never really worked for me when they're at the forefront of an episode (I much prefer them a bit more subtly handled: Charlie's visions worked for me, but the Jacob and Esau story does not particularly.) A solution to the alternate worlds paradox that is elegant and actually does make some degree of logical sense, as opposed to just writing it off as faith/mysteries/etc. I would like Flocke to be chaos, and Jacob to be order, as opposed to the more obvious (and boring) good/evil split.

Little things: Minor/flashback/returning characters get treated better than the one who appeared in the last episode (not saying who, so as to avoid spoilers). Less heavy-handed Jack-as-savior plot shoehorning. Kate dies or does not choose either one (prefer dying). Sayid to get even five seconds of happiness from this damn show (seriously.) Hurley gets a good moment, since he's been the only character who's been treated entirely well this past season.

Eh, whatever. I think the show could have been four seasons and not wasted episodes. It's an uneven but interesting show, and I can only ask that the finale remain interesting, however uneven it might be. I only own s1 on DVD, so am not at much of a financial loss from the show! However, since I returned to the fandom for the final season after being away for s4 and s5, I'd like to get a decent finale out of it, anyway.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the pregnancy issue to be touched up on if not answered only because it took such a huge plot of the show especially in season 3 especially with Ben. It's one of the reasons why Juliet was brought to the island, I feel like that should be answered.

Other than that I am fine.

I hope they answer the big stuff that has been at our face for 6 years, and don't care about the little stuff. I think every fan has something they want resolved and there is soooo much going on with this show they can't get to everything.

Josh Holloway said a few years ago (Before it was revealed that the island is moving) he said he thought the island was moving. He was sitting with Damon and he goes "I think the island moves, like the Death Star." (Star wars reference). And Damon gave him the weirdest look and Josh said he ran out of there. He joked that not being killed off the show meant you kept your head down. LOL.
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want the character stories to be tied up, I'm not bothered about what mythology questiosn are answers, I'll just take what we're given.

The characters always were my focus and as long as we get resolution for them, I'm fine.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions.
For me, season six has been great - truly it has - but I can understand why people have lost interest in it, or have disliked certain episodes I've personally liked. Sometimes some of the ideas put across, if not handled in a logical way, can seem ludicrous. Sci-Fi shows are all well and good but they have to be handled in a believable way, so that even the impossible can for the purposes of television seem believable. I think that's an important thing to a sci-fi show.
For me, I want to walk away from the finale feeling like I've invested six years of my life on this show wisely. I want the island's mystery solved, to a degree as I appreciate they probably can't explain it all in one fell swoop, and I would love a sense of closure to the show in a similiar way to reading and finishing a great novel. I don't want to come away from with more questions than ever before, although I realise not all questions will be answered and I think that's understandable.
As to the characters, I don't really mind an angsty ending providing it has some kind of logic to it. Most of all, I want a finale which has all the mystery, drama and overall quality it had in the first three seasons. I want to finish the series feeling like, after the weaker seasons of four and five (only in my personal opinion), I've watched something familiar.
I don't care about the specifics of what happens, as long as it's logical, believable, dealt with sensitively and treated like a proper end to a series. I'd love it, however, if the whole triangle thing was resolved in a way that didn't involve anyone getting together. I don't hate Kate, I just think her character's priorites have changed since the first four or five seasons.
Wow, long answer very insightful and thought provoking questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: