Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Life is Long" by thefilmchick
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:12 am    Post subject: "Life is Long" by thefilmchick Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Life is Long" 04-02-2010
March 2010 contest submission - In the alternate timeline, Sayid is torn between two women, the one he always knew and the one he never did.
Song: Life is Long by David Byrne & Brian Eno
Vidder: thefilmchick
Length: 3:46 (24KB WMV)

Link(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uctRFREoK1g
http://namastenikki.ning.com/video/life-is-long

Lyrics:
Spoiler:

Everybody says that the living is easy
I can barely see 'cause my head's in the way
Tigers walk behind me; they are to remind me that
I'm lost, but I'm not afraid

Soul to soul, a kiss and a sigh
Sawed in half by the passage of time
Halfway home, from a window you see
chains and bars, but I am still free

People on the outside; I remember sweet times
This old rose is always in bloom
Everybody's happy to be a baby daddy
Stone love with nothing to lose

Life is long if you give it away
So stay, don't go, 'cause I'm fading away
Soul to soul, between you and me
Chain me down but I am still free

Now I can say those three little words
And every day I'm dreaming a world
Soul to soul, a kiss and a sigh
Holding back the waters outside

Life is long if you give it away
So stay, don't go, 'cause I'm fading away
Soul to soul, between you and me
Chain me down but I am still free

Last edited by thefilmchick on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:15 am; edited 2 times in total
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Life is Long by thefilmchick Reply with quote

Great job, Kate! This is your best vid yet and I LOVED this song for Sayid! Your editing is great--the beat use is completely awesome, and the saturation and stutter effects are wonderful! I enjoyed the story, too. Great job, and good luck in the contest!
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!

Thanks, Julia, and thanks for beta-ing it as well. Glad you enjoyed it!
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Life is Long by thefilmchick Reply with quote

*squee-age* Ooh, I really liked this, Kate! It made me smile through the entire thing. I liked the song you chose. It would have been easy to pick a super slow, angsty song to go with your story but I'm glad you picked this one, I think it worked well for Sayid. I liked the effects you used too - the brighter flashes on the beats and the still clips. And of course yay for Shayid! I liked that you didn't use any really fancy, complicated manips. The ones you used were simple and looked realistic. Very good!
blackwolf1480
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Life is Long by thefilmchick Reply with quote

Zomg, I think this is your best vid yet! You started it strong and heavy beat-use and ended strong with Sayid's sweet but tragic moments. I wish you the best of luck in the contest, Kate, and award you a gold
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Eryn and Serena--and I like the song too! It's good to know the video didn't come off as super-slow and angsty; I was aiming for bittersweet and, judging from your comments, it appears I got that feeling.

Good to know my manips came out looking realistic; that's what I was after. Between the manips, the flashes on the beats, and the 'stutter'/still clip/stop-motion effect, there's a lot more effects in here than you might think, so it's good to know they didn't overwhelm either.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*applause* I think that's my favorite of yours yet! I loved what you did with the stutter effect, that worked so well and fit the music so perfectly! Great song choice as well, it was upbeat yet with a bittersweetness to it as well. Overall, very nicely done and I really enjoyed it!
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ais! Glad you liked it (you see why I asked about the stutter effect in tech help now? It actually did go quicker than I'd thought it would, except for needing to take the snapshots at best: full quality for some bizarre reason.)

Thanks for liking the song too! Saw David Byrne (lead singer of Talking Heads, for those of you besides Aislynn and some others who might know) sing it in November '08 in Albany, and the song really stuck with me. If you're curious, there's a video of a similar live performance here, with spinny chairs.

Last edited by thefilmchick on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Life is Long by thefilmchick Reply with quote

Great job, I like how Sayid had his own lil triangle going on
Your beat was great and I really enjoyed the beginning of the vi
Ace job and good luck in the contest
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh; whoa Kate that was so great!!! your best yet, IMO Def. my fave Altho Sayid-centric triangles are just awesome it sucks Shannon hasn't popped up at all in Sayid's on-island or FS life this season. loved the 'everybody's happe to be your baby daddy' part with his brother and the jarring on the beats was reallly unique and awesome

lmao, i was writing as I was typing and i was going to say "it dragged on a little towards the end" and then it ends at 3:00 which is where I was about to suggest it end in the first place :S *facepalm!* great job kate!! You've improved so much; gold from me

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlee: Thanks; glad you enjoyed it! The beat at the start of the vid was fun to work with--it's what made me know I wanted the stop-motion stuff running throughout.

Kat: Thanks for providing some of the clips in here! Good to know you think they want to good use. The song's a pretty good fit for things without being leaden or depressing anyway. Good to know I got a unique effect out of Vegas, too.

Yeah, it ends earlier than is listed: If you want to fix that to 3:20 (since that's when the credits roll up), that's fine too. I wasn't sure exactly what to put. Good to know my timing with the video itself was right, though!
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Life is Long by thefilmchick Reply with quote

Great video, Kate! Cool to see a Sayid triangle vid.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Heather! Glad you liked it.
SawyerLittleton
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did my last post go?

Well here we go again, I liked this Video very much, as i told you last night via PM. I dont know if its the setting, the ship or the song. I just enjoyed it overall.
When I first started watching the vid i felt that the song was abit too happy for a tragic character like sayid but then i really started getting into the whole thing and i loved how you showed the Shayid and Nayid story parallel. I loved your lyric interpretation and I'm kind of pissed off that you left the ending to the viewers interpretation. I hate that. I don't wan't to think of my own ending. I wan't to know how something ended. I just hope they don't leave Lost's ending up to the viewers. Haha

But no seriously i really liked this video. The effects you choose were beautiful and i liked the colouring. The stills at the beginning of the vid were pretty damn cool aswell. Gold from me!
                                 
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee. Thanks, Mel; glad you enjoyed it (and if you want to see darker-mood Sayid in my stuff, check out Mohammed's Radio, which isn't entirely dark but isn't as lightweight, and Prison Grove, which is pretty unremittingly dark (though roughly made--it was one of my first videos.) My Back Pages might be worth a whirl too, although it's lighter. Worth a shot recommending these anyway. ETA: And Fanatic Heart, which I can't believe I overlooked--it's probably the most appropriate song I've ever found for Sayid.)

Good to know the song won you over; it is upbeat but I think it's not too upbeat, and it's still kind of tinged with sadness/wistfulness despite the upbeat mood of it. As far as the ending, well.... can't help you there! (With the video or with the show, haha.) Thanks for letting me know the effects worked too; I was a bit uncertain how to achieve the stop-motion on the 'oh-oh-oh-oh's that I wanted, but I think I got them how I wanted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: