Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keeping Clips on My Computer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alyssap22
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Keeping Clips on My Computer Reply with quote

I tend to keep my clips on flash drives just so they don't use up all my space on the computer. I have been wanting to make a multi fandom video. To do this I would have to download more clips. If I put these clips in folders on my actual hard-drive will it slow my computer down? What do you guys do with your clips? Keep them on your computer?
Belle MacFarlane
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to keep my clips on my computer and delete them when I've finished the video, but I keep my full episodes on my external harddrive
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is on my external hard drive; my clips, episodes, etc. They won't fit on my computer. When I download new clips, I save them on my external when it's plugged in or in to my "Videos" folder until I get a chance to copy it across.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't slow your computer down unless you're running out of hard drive space. Whether you have Windows XP, Vista or 7 (or a Mac ), you should be able to check how much space is remaining. On XP, you just go to Start - My Computer - right-click your hard drive (which is usually the C drive) - Properties. That will give you a graph showing how much room you have left and how much is used. (I'm not familiar with Vista, 7 or a Mac but a Google search should turn up instructions on how to find how much hard drive space you have on any of them. )

If you're getting fairly close to being full, then adding more clips on there could cause things to run more slowly (it could also interfere with how well you can edit the vid and may make rendering impossible because that requires quite a bit of hard drive space).

I keep all of my clips and episodes that I'm currently using to vid with on my hard drive. When I need to make more room, I burn them to disc and remove them off the hard drive. I eventually hope to get an external one of these days, though.
Jen
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Mac -- it tells you at the bottom of the "Finder" window how much space is left

Ais already mentioned that it shouldn't slow down unless you're dangerously low on space -- it's also important to make sure you have enough memory/a good processor to make sure your computer and/or your vidding program runs smoothly.

This is incredibly time consuming, and I wouldn't EVER advise anyone to do this unless they're actually bothered (which I am, amazingly T_T), but I get my clips off my DVDs, save them onto my Mac, and once I'm done with the video I delete every... single... file. This ensures that the only clips I have are the ones I actually need. Also, since I'm really fussy about quality, if I were to have all my clips on my Mac, it would suck up a lot of space.

Yes, I probably should get an external hard drive.

Somehow I actually prefer my way ...
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a massive external, 1000GB, with all my episodes of shows on them. I dont use clips anymore but when I did; they definitely clogged up my hard drive cos that's where i saved them. Its been so much smoother since i've A) used an external, and B) gotten a laptop with more ram, 4GB to be exact. RAM speeds up rendering in Vegas and stuff as well as holding the footage

alyssap22
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all the advice It is greatly appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: