Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attack Site - LVI ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kamara
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Attack Site - LVI ??? Reply with quote

I've been using Firefox for awhile and have not changed any of my settings.

When I tried to come to LVI last night - after being here several times during that same day.
All of a sudden Firefox gives me this big red screen and says LVI is a reported Attack Site.
That its been reported 1 time in the last 90 days.

I tried and tried to access the site and could not. I even clicked on ignore this warning and every time I tried to navigate even one page the big red screen would pop up again.
I finally gave up in frustration.

Tried it again today with the same results.

Then I went into my options and just disabled the warning all together.
I was then able to get onto LVI.

Is there anything I can do to stop this annoying screen popping up besides disabling my browser each time I log onto LVI?

Thanks
Kamara

Avi/Banner by Me

New Jawyer Vid
A Lost Cause Inc. Fanvid
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Kate who clued me in..

I unticked Block reported attack sites in Tools, Options, Security on Firefox and no more warnings

Dunno how you managed to temporarily disable it as it's not coming up at all for me.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the post with the instructions to disable the warning in Firefox, as Paul cited. (Mods, if you want to make a sticky somewhere, please feel free!)

Please note: This is a temporary fix, not a complete fix. The complete fix will only come once the siteowner of LVI disputes the malware warning with stopbadware.org. Short of that, there is nothing any of us end-users of LVI can do that wouldn't create more problems than it solves.

As Kamara cites (since I think she used the same method), that does 'disable' your browser to an extent, namely that it will not tell you that reallybadwarez.com or the like (making the domain up out of thin air) might be trouble for your machine. You use the fix at your own risk (and please make sure your antivirus and antispyware are turned on and up-to-date.)
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this addon for firefox called Noscript: http://noscript.net/

It blocke any script you don't want running. It's a pain to set up at first as you have to keep allowing sites and their scripts that are safe but it's worth it as it will automatically block all the bad ones.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Here is the post with the instructions to disable the warning in Firefox, as Paul cited. (Mods, if you want to make a sticky somewhere, please feel free!)

Please note: This is a temporary fix, not a complete fix. The complete fix will only come once the siteowner of LVI disputes the malware warning with stopbadware.org. Short of that, there is nothing any of us end-users of LVI can do that wouldn't create more problems than it solves.

As Kamara cites (since I think she used the same method), that does 'disable' your browser to an extent, namely that it will not tell you that reallybadwarez.com or the like (making the domain up out of thin air) might be trouble for your machine. You use the fix at your own risk (and please make sure your antivirus and antispyware are turned on and up-to-date.)

I did disable it - that's how I was able to access the site.
But I didn't want it off permanently due to visiting other sites.

I guess I can click it on and off - only takes a moment.

Thanks!

Avi/Banner by Me

New Jawyer Vid
A Lost Cause Inc. Fanvid
Kamara
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I use this addon for firefox called Noscript: http://noscript.net/

It blocke any script you don't want running. It's a pain to set up at first as you have to keep allowing sites and their scripts that are safe but it's worth it as it will automatically block all the bad ones.

Thanks, Paul I will check that out

Kamara

Avi/Banner by Me

New Jawyer Vid
A Lost Cause Inc. Fanvid
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also may want to install Adblock Plus, if it's not installed by default on your version of Firefox.

I also find Lazarus: Form Recovery useful for forum sites like LVI, because even if you use it once a month, it's still worth it to easily recover that long and incredibly brilliant post that you stupidly lost.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kate and Paul, thank you for all of your information!

We collected it all in a thread about the Reported Attack Site message. We've requested a review to be removed from the blacklist, so hopefully things will be back to normal soon! In the meanwhile, hopefully one of the hints and tips will let us all keep being able to access LVI freely!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad there is a sticky thread up now People will hopefully see it and not freak out too much lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: