Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think is better? (Effort vs Easy Art)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better?
A video with little to no concept/story, which is decently edited to the beat of a random song (which doesn't really fit or enhance the clips at all, but is really cool), with interesting coloring, a texture, and random effects plugged in.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
A video with a well thought out concept/story, which is well edited, and uses coloring and effects only as necessary, and does not have a texture, border, etc.
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
I don't think I've seen that many vids that don't have a concept of sorts. Even just-Jate videos with no story still have a concept, to me at least, of showing the connection between the characters.

I really hope everyone understands that I am not talking about the vids here at LVI. I mean, I won't say it never happens here, but what got me thinking about it was specifically a slew of vids I've been seeing on YT lately, mostly Twilight and Anime (because that's what my niece is into, so she sends me links all the time).

Also, I really REALLY am afraid I may have hurt some feelings with the "six page dissertation" comment, and I just want everyone to know that I am not knocking explanations... not in the slightest.

What I'm knocking is when people string obviously random clips together with no rhyme or reason, and then write out a long story that the video is supposed to embody but obviously doesn't. Again, I am not talking about any video I've seen here at LVI. Honest! I never would have brought it up here if I was talking about anyone here.

Quote:
I'm with Debbie on her point, when you have a vidder who can tell a fantastic story, that is where the talent is. To me; if they can do that and kick ass with effects, like with Jo's latest vid, that's just epic vidding at its core.

Anyway, Jo's contest vid is a great example of what I consider to be the *perfect* balance of effects and concept/story. She has an awesome concept/story, and the effects are totally complimentary. Not just thrown in to make it pretty.

Quote:
But I also highly appreciate crazy effects and beat because I know how tough it is to get right

I agree with that, too. Especially coming from the standpoint of wanting to learn and understand how to use them properly and not just gratuitously. Some people have a natural talent, but for those of us who don't it's a tough learning process. It has been for me, at least, and I've got a long way to go (which is why I ask so many questions). LOL!

That said, however, some of my favorite vids are ones that aren't necessarily about beat use, effects, etc. I love Nikki and Stacey's AU vids, for example. The stories told are so creative and interesting, and the stories are told almost entirely through out-of-context clips, footage from other sources, and video/audio manips. To me, that is vidding at its very finest. I love it!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a bit late to this, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents because I once had a full-on rant over this before, so I know exactly how you feel Julia.

For me, personally -- and I'm glad to see so many other people agree -- an effect should really only be used if there's a reason for it to be used in the first place. Whacking in a gazillion effects to show off what a program (like Vegas, for instance) can do is, well, a bit pointless IMO.

Textures... eh, I can't say I'm a fan. But aesthetically I'm extremely picky, and usually I only ever mess about with colouring nowadays. I think this whole effects business comes down to experience -- newer vidders, who have just made the switch from WMM to Vegas (or whichever) will tend to go a bit more "out there" with the effects; but that's just because they're new to it all and experimenting (And let's be honest, we've all been there!)

Then with experience we tend to find a little niche -- mine, like I said before, is in my colouring. I also like overlays, and am currently in love with blur effects. And then we develop further by coming up with crazy AU plots, etc. You get the drift

However, I think my problem is seeing the same sort of thing over and over and over again. I for one am sick of additive dissolve, and I used to be addicted to that effect. However, I have the most enormous respect for those who can use effects in an effective (pardon the pun) and most importantly original way. I think that's why effects are so intriguing -- we want to see how other people use them. (Unfortunately half the time they just get replicated over and over in other videos, which is a shame.)

In the end, a video should really be made up of several different elements -- effects are only one aspect and if I'm watching a video that's overly reliant on effects, after about thirty seconds, I'll get bored and stop watching anyway. Therefore, concept, even if it's a video about how much X loves Y, or how awesome Z is, will always far outweigh the effects. Effects are just there for an extra "oomph," but they're never the entire video.

And thus concludes my essay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: