Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone Ever Use Final Cut?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexann
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Anyone Ever Use Final Cut? Reply with quote

I just got a new mac laptop and I bought a video editing program called Final Cut Express with it. It's kind of like Sony Vegas only it's for mac. Has anyone on here ever used it to make a video before? I'm asking because I'm still trying to figure it out and it's driving me nuts. The main thing that's been bugging me is that I can't seem to preview my edited project without rendering it. When I try to play it back, all I get is a blue screen that says "must be rendered." But how can you possibly make a good music video if you can't play back your work to see how it all fits together? Plus once you render it, you can't edit it...

I really want to use Final Cut because all I've ever used in the past is windows movie maker. I want to make some more in-depth videos, and windows movie maker just doesn't have all the necessary capabilities (and on top of that, it's an extremely frustrating program). Does anyone have any advice?
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried using it before but gave up because I had the exact same problem I don't know how or even, if, you can stop it from doing that, but I know Nikki's (nikkimonique) made a couple of vids using Final Cut Pro and a couple of other vidders here (like IamSoLostRightNow and DJC Productions) use it too, so maybe they know

I started using Premiere Pro after I gave up and found it much easier to work with. I've never used WMM but did use Vegas before I got my mac and found Premiere to be much more like Vegas than Final Cut is Tis just my thoughts, and I know Final Cut is probably much better in the long run, think it just needs longer and more patience to learn.

Sorry I haven't really been any help in solving your problem just thought I'd add my two cents in

edit: ooh and I remember when I was looking for solutions there was a really helpful tutorial here which is a newbie's guide to final cut express & pro. It talks about that red line that shows at the top when it says it needs rendering (so reassuringly referring to it as 'the red bar of doom' lol) but I think you have to sign up first before it'll let you read the forum

Alexann
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It's good to know that some people have used Final Cut and it's at least possible to make a good video on there. And I'll definitely check out that tutorial, as well as some MVs from the vidders you mentioned.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! Yeah that rendering thing sucks...but i find if you cut the clip the way you think you want click then just render that one little clip it takes less then 30 secs then you can watch it back and change what ever you need to and move on. Thats how I do it anyway...annoying, yes...but I don't how to get around that. I think you need full quality clips from your dvd not to have to render or something...but I'm still pretty new myself with finalcut...I've only made my latest 3 with it so maybe someone else here that has used it more has better answers for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alexann, happy to have another FCP user!

In order not to render everything you need to have sequence settings to match your clip settings. This website is helpful.

You can convert your clips using File>Export>Quicktime Conversion and mess with the clip settings by going into Sequence>Setting. You want everything to match in order not to render.

I use the DV/DVCPRO - NTSC setting for my videos/clips.

You have to convert your files if your using wmv. clips. Also make sure you have the free Flip4Mac software installed on your computer.

You'll still have to render when you use some special filters/layering but once you render the effect, it won't matter if you move the clip in the timeline.

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck vidding!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know Yael! Thanks!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alexann
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all your help, guys! I really appreciate it. I'll probably have some more questions after I play around with the settings more.

I checked Flip4Mac, but it looks like the conversion application only comes with it if you pay $30.00. I'm still trying to find a free converter that won't make the video quality go down very much. For now, I've been using a free version of Aimersoft Total Media Converter to experiment with clips, but I won't be able to use the clips for actual vids because the free trial version puts nasty watermarks on them. And it costs $50.00 to get the watermark off...so I probably won't be using that one. If I can't find a good converter, I might just get all my clips all over again from somewhere else.
Jen
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay for other FCP users!

I started using FCP about, eh, a month ago now. I haven't really done much because I've been floored with work, but it definitely is quite tricky and very different to Vegas, from what I've found.

And that whole rendering business drives me up the wall too. Except I do like how it NO LONGER LAAAAGS when I play it back

I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Will probably take a while before I make a full video on FCP. I feel like a new vidder on a fancy new program making my first video all over again!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh Jen that's exciting!

Let me know if you need any help.

Maybe it's because I'm REALLY into video/editing, but I think it's worth it just to buy the converters. It seams painful at the time, but it's so useful and then you never really have to think about it again or spend so long looking for clips in the right format.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see that there are some other FCP users here. I was starting to think that I was the only one. I'm guessing you've already figured out your rendering problem but if you ever need any more help, feel free to message me and I'm sure I could help you out. Ive been using FCP for years, it's the only editing program Ive ever used. It took me a couple years to really get good with it but I love it. The only advice I can give you is to be patient and keep practicing with it. There is also a lot of great tutorials on YouTube that could help you out. FinalCutKing, AppleShakeGuru, Both these guys make awesome Final Cut tutorials, I definitely recommend watching.

OvariesOfSteel
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! I'm about to buy a Mac, so I'm excited to see at least a few threads re: to its programs.

Nikki-are you still using FC?

Banner by Sarah

Writing4aCause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I am Eggy but still don't know what I'm doing half the time! But this thread has been helpful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: