Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Audio Help! Reply with quote

Does anyone here know how to remove unwanted audio from a scene? e.g. When Jack and Kate are getting off the freighter and he says ''im not leaving without you'' theres a lot of interfering noise that muffles the speech. So is anyone able to remove things like that out for me if I so wished? Thank you!

nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need a special program or something that probably costs lots of money. I don't think there is any way of doing that with just Sony Vegas or any editing program. If there is. I'd sure like to know!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jinlovessunxx
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a way unfortunately, because all of the speaking is on one seperate track, whereas if you wanted to remove the music in the background you could because the music is a different track than the speaking...
but like Nikki said maybe there is a special program out there, I don't know any though.
I'm sorry There are ways for you to make the audio sound clearer though, and it will still sound really good even though there is background noise.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this is a real bummer because so often great dialogue gets washed out by the background music and it doesn't work as well in your vid as you'd like. But unfortunately, the audio that we get with the episodes has already been mixed together into one "thing" that no program can easily sort out after that point. We'd need the raw footage, when the dialogue is still on a separate track from the music, then you could easily cancel out all of the background noise and have just the voices speaking. *sigh*

You can try clipping your audio as close as you can to the actual words themselves to minimize how much background noise you hear. I've found that putting a bit of a fade over the start and finish sometimes helps, usually it doesn't make the speaker sound like they're fading in or out as they talk but it helps cut down the sudden blast of background noise.

Also you can try to help it by being choosy where you place the audio in relation to what's going on in your song. If there's a patch of music that kind of "fits" the background noise in the clip, that can help cover the fact you're getting noise from the audio clip in addition to the dialogue.

I had an audio clip that had a weird squealing noise under the dialogue and there was no way to keep from hiding this sound every time the person spoke. So I actually went the other way and used that squeal as part of the "music" by doing the opposite of what I usually do (cutting very closely to the words) and instead I let there be a larger space before and after he spoke so I could slowly fade that squeal in and out like it was meant to be part of the music. It's not perfect by any means but it helps a little.

Mainly you'll just have to play around with it and try to find ways to use or minimize the noise as best you can.
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Adobe Soundbooth installed on my comp and I've been having a play around on it, and theres some sort of noise reduction things that you can twiddle with (that all sounds very technical don't it rofl ) and I can seem to get it to reduce it abit, but its by no means perfect b/c I really haven't got much clue as to how to use this program

But I'm happy to have a go and try to make it clear for you if you want...just can't promise it'll be great yet

cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww thanks for all your help guys And taking the time to read my vid help frenzy!
Ais, I will try the things that you suggested see how it goes, especially with the Sawyer/Juliet death scene *head-desk* Thanks for the ideas!
Emma, If you wouldn't mind having a go with the Jack/Kate clip that I used as an example above? That would be so fantastic if you could see what you'd come up with!

emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm soooo sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I had a little go at it and it wasn't working so left it for another time, then forgot to get back to it Hope it's not too late

Anyway, I've had another go at it, but I really don't think it's done anythink...I may have even made it worse lol Anyhoo heres what I have, sorry it's not very good. That bit seems particularly bad with background noise. I tried to focus on the bits Jack said, the bits Kate says seem pretty darn impossible to fix LOL

Again, sorry if it's not really made any difference (I can't really tell anymore LOL b/c I listened to it that many times ) I don't really know what I'm doing But heres the link anyhoo http://www.sendspace.com/file/8dmzhd *offers you a big yummy cookie to compensate for the lateness*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: