Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Gears

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Google Gears Reply with quote

Hey guys I didn't know where to post this! lol
But just wanted to check if any of you had downloaded Google Gears in order to upload videos to YouTube? A friend on YT warned me that it came up as a possible virus or trojan when she attempting to download it. But I've had no warning and my computer is virus-free. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced this when trying to download? And whether I should remove it?

Problem is I use the multi-uploader on YT and you have to have google gears in order to use it. Does everyone else use the normal upload form?
Thanks
xCfx

cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*
Please guys? Does anyone know anything at all? I wouldn't like to think that I've downloaded a virus.

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry rosie, i actually have no idea what Google Gears is I haven't had to use anything like that to get videos onto youtube; but then again i don't use the multi-uploader. But if you're friend got a warning; then I'd be wary of it. Some virus protectors are more thorough than others and pick up on sneakier lil viruses and weedle their way in.

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rosie, I don't know anything about it Wish I could be of more help
cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its okay guys I'll just get rid of it and try to upload my videos on the basic uploader

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard of Google Gears either, so I looked it up and found this article here. Now, me personally? I'd remove it just because I'm not cool with Google sticking their nose that far into my computer, lol! It might not be a virus itself but I'd bet it'll trigger that warning on a lot of anti-viruses because that will probably show up as suspicious behavior. Though, of course, I don't know for sure. Also, any time you're downloading something, you're susceptible to picking up a virus, so your friend may very well have got a legit virus, not necessarily from Google Gears but just in the course of downloading. Or it could've been from Google Gears themselves, you never know.

Wow, that was helpful, huh? Sorry! I see you've already decided to remove it but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway!
cagedfreedom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aislynn! I'll have a look through that article I may even re-install it if there are no problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: