Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip Theft: A Serious Issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Clip Theft: A Serious Issue Reply with quote

As many of you know by now LVI takes clip theft very seriously. Some people outside the vidding and fan art communities might see that as a waste of time or even a ridiculous thing to concern ourselves with. But if vidding and fan art are ever going to get the respect they deserve in the internet world we need to be concerned about these things.

Recently we have dealt with multiple claims of clip theft and unfortunately, so far, all of them have been proved as clip theft. Today my fellow council members presented me with the worst case of clip theft I have ever seen. Nearly a MINUTE of identical footage and the bad part is we are now having to trace the history of the videos in question just to figure out how such a serious case of clip theft could have possibly occured.

As stated in the LVI rules that went into effect on July 1st all vidders are given a second chance. If you commit clip theft you are given a second chance. If you commit clip theft again you are banned from LVI. Unfortunately we have already had to ban our first member over clip theft. I won't name any names because I don't want to humiliate anyone I just want to make everyone aware that this is a serious situation in the Lost vidding community right now.

The big problem is most people are unaware of the seriousness of clip theft or have no clue what clip theft is. We have got to get word out or our numbers of clip theft reports are just going to keep rising.

I'm making this post for several reasons. First to try and inform all of you of the growing seriousness of the situatin. Secondly, to ask for your help. Whenever you visit a vidding forum or a livejournal vidding board or any place that post fan videos take a second to try and inform there members of what clip theft is. You can direct them to our forums or this site : http://www.dreamvision-entertainment.com/videoelite/fadetoblack.html . Help us inform the vidding community of this growing epidemic in the vidding world. Look out for your fellow vidders if you see any thing that could be clip theft on LVI notify us immediately either through e-mail or PM. Please keep all claims of clip theft to a private matter. We will take the necessary steps with all claims.

Make a post here and pledge yourself to being clip theft free. Let's stop clip theft and preserve the integrity of the Lost vidding community.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, MovieGuy (MG, Potter, or that ridiculous nickname, Colin) am Clip Theft Free.

I am recommend to all again, watermark your vids.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about clip theft it takes me ages to find the perfect clips for my vid so I don't want someone picking out a good scene straight outta my vid.

I pledge myself clip theft free ^_^

oo I feel all warm inside ty

I, MovieGuy (MG, Potter, or that ridiculous nickname, Colin) am Clip Theft Free.
2. Polarbear (Paul)

How do you watermark?
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)

Quite frankly, I don't know how to clip theft so......

Banner: Shinythings
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)

l Holly am clip theft free as well. lts the way to go.

l actually seen some my vid footage awhile back in someones vid (who shall remain nameless) but l worked it out with the person and it never happened again, atleast to my knowledge anyway. LOL.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

Holly I bet you tore them to shreds evil holly not to be messed with
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL...Nah, l was really nice about it.
l just told the person they might wanna try asking next time. And then l told em some places where they could download clips and episodes from. The person was like "sorry about that, do you want me to do the entire vid over?" LOL.
But l told em no, they didn't have to go through all the trouble. But it did bug me alot though. LOL.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)

I, Kristen, am clip theft free.

And I watermark all my vids with a little number "3".

sig by niki blue
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)

I, Warren, am clip-theft free, at least PERSONALLY anyway. Otherwise, I'm up to my neck in clip theft....

It's bad 'cuz it takes the most overly-used scenes and recycles them in worse quality than before! And SOMETIMES it takes the transitions that actually take skill to do arggghhhh....

I've gotta remember to put a watermark of some sort on these suckers... not that I'd ever have trouble finding a clip by me. Less than a second was enough a couple times to see that the entire vid was clip theft... ho-hum Don't steal from me! I will hunt you down!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)
7. MoreLight (Geoff)

I am clip-theft free for every single vid that I spent hours searching for and sometimes weeks to assemble the vid.

Clip-theft is so unoriginal and very creatively limiting. It is a shame some individuals would stoop so low just to sit in our minor limelight for 1 minute of fake fame.

Another creative way of preventing clip theft (but is more difficult) is a trick I learned from LithiumDoll (a legendary vidder) who makes her vids so unique it is nearly impossible to take anything from there without it being very obvious. Her cuts and use of colours is very unique. This only works for certain themes and songs though.

My lost music vids
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)
7. MoreLight (Geoff)
8. Ally (erm.. yeah Ally >>)

absolutly clip theft free
everbody of my close friends can tell how I annoy them by ' do you know were this scene is' XDDD

and maybe I get to make a watermark on my new vid ~~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys we have over 300 registered board members. If you vid please pledge yourself to being clip theft free. If vidding and fan art as a a whole are ever going to get some sort of respect on the net we must show it in a organized and put together way. Make people look at sites like ours and realize that there is a lot more to fan art then they may think. To get that kind of respect we must show that we respect each other and each individuals work.

Pledge yourself clip theft free and have your vidding friends come and do the same thing. Even if you don't vid for this site or vid for LOST still take a second and make your pledge.

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)
7. MoreLight (Geoff)
9. Lostcalier (Aimee)

www.lostvideo.net
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, Ringwench (aka. Sarah) am 100% clip theft free! And plan on remaining so, because clip theft...SO not cool!!! Also, most of the fun of a vid (at least for me) is finding your OWN clips and arranging them in a way YOU want to create a product that you can be proud to call your own.

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)
7. MoreLight (Geoff)
9. Lostcalier (Aimee)
10. Ringwench (Sarah)

Geekdom abounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've clip thefted EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY VIDEOS from technically illegal downloads of a copyrighted show and music that doesn't belong to me either. But I guess we're not talking about that kind of clip theft are we?

If I don't sign this list does it mean I've stolen? I mean, who really is going to come out and say, Oh, darn, I'd like to sign up for your list because I've stolen clips from like 12 vidders.

I'm sorry. I should just keep my yap shut. I understand the overall intention of this is likely positive and I understand people getting upset if they work hours and hours on a video and see their work somewhere else, but in the grand scheme of things 1. we're all "taking" clips from something and 2. there are far better things in life to devote your time and energy into than getting upset about clip theft.

I'd feel almost honored if I saw my clips in someone elses vid. I'd be like damn, my crap was that cool? Right on!! [my crap is not that cool, but that's neither here nor there]

Sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate sensitivities. Not my intention at all. Just thought I'd bring a different, surely unpopular, perspective to the discussion.

And for the record... I am 100% "theft" free.

2. Polarbear (Paul)
3. ebizmybef74 (Liz)
4. Hollywood (Holly)
5. ChicaFrom3 (Kristen)
6. Hobbes (Warren)
7. MoreLight (Geoff)
9. Lostcalier (Aimee)
10. Ringwench (Sarah)
11. JakeNRoland (Grandpa Jake)

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JakeNRoland wrote:
I've clip thefted EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY VIDEOS from technically illegal downloads of a copyrighted show and music that doesn't belong to me either. But I guess we're not talking about that kind of clip theft are we?

Sorry if I've offended anyone's delicate sensitivities. Not my intention at all. Just thought I'd bring a different, surely unpopular, perspective to the discussion.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion on the subject. I go by what I read over at "Fade to Black" so that's kind of where some of my opinions come from. That's where the following came from ( http://www.dreamvision-entertainment.com/videoelite/fadetoblackfaqs.html#1 ) .

Quote:
Just what is considered vid clip theft?

When someone steals your fanvid clips, the first thing you'll hear trotted out to defend the action is that, "You stole from the original source, so you have nothing to complain about!" This is a spurious, silly argument.

Who "Stole" it first is a lame excuse for anything. And here's a rule of Thumb (in case you were wondering). Up to 5 mins per 1 hour of video/film shot can be used by ANYONE for promotional, spoofs, commentaries, or examples. So for television this works out to about 4 mins for a 45 min episode...not too bad.

So please don't tell me that a vidder is stealing by making vids, therefore it's no different from what you're doing. They've riffed someone else's work -- and stated it openly, giving credit where credit is due. You've riffed someone else's work and presented it as your own, not even giving the name of the person you're riffing.

Let's talk about what's being stolen.

Are clips being stolen? No. We don't own any of the footage that is used in the vid. Neither would any clip-thief.

What's being stolen is credit. The original vidder made edits, put effort into their product, and credited the original show in the bargain. (And yes, editing is work -- that's why film EDITORS are credited separately.) I've never seen a vid that didn't have a comment like "Footage copyright to MGM," or whatnot.

Many of us, who have the power and capabilities of capturing and making these "Clips" in the first place, just aren't slacking off, it's damned hard work, and if you don't know what you're doing, nothing turns out right.

Has any Buffy vidder ever said, "Look at these wonderful characters I created!" Has a "Stargate SG-1" ficcer ever said, "I invented these four people named Jack, Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c, and look at the cool adventures I gave them!"

No. Of course not. We work with other characters, giving credit to their original creators. I owe Double Secret Productions, J. R. R. Tolkien, and C. S. Forester credit for creating the characters that I've worked with most recently. And I say it out loud. And if you, clip-thief, are working with someone else's material, then you give credit. Don't you dare try to fob that work off as yours.

Video clip theft is well, the following example. The vidder captures an episode/movie. She shares them openly and freely with anyone who asks. Now 99.9% of the people who use the stuff that's been captured, give something in return, lest it be "thanks for the clips" in their video, on their website, or even via e-mail. What really chaps our ass, is when we'll make a video, spend many hours compiling a montage of clips in a certain order, set for a certain mood, and someone will grab those right out of the video and claim them as their OWN. If they've been altered in any way, the creative process and effort that went into that should at least be credited to those who originally put them together.

Give credit. Tell us where your source is. That's what everyone does.

Everyone is welcome to disagree with LVI's stance on clip theft and even though they say that copying is the greatest form of flatery I've never really been one for that. But all of that is my opinion. You don't have to pledge to be clip theft free and if you don't post it doesn't mean we think you are. I just thought it would be a nice way for vidders to protect there work by acknowledging that if nothing else they don't support it.

Anyway, off my soap box.

www.lostvideo.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: