Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with windows movie maker
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hereby dub MoreLight, Saint Patience.

You're amazing.
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL thanks!

I know sometimes it is a pain to try and figure this stuff out yourself and I was fortunate enough to find online people who helped me to do stuff so I'm just returning the favor in my small way.
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am soo sorry that this has taken so long for me to get! I feel like the world's biggest idiot. I found the sticker on the bottom and it says DCR-TRV17 (i hope that's the thing im looking for)

Thanks,
ebizmybef74
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent that is just the number needed. I found the specs for this at eOpinions.com.

Here is a snippet from the specs:
Quote:

The DCR-TRV17 is equipped with USB terminal for transmitting images through USB cable directly from Memory Stick to PC at high speed. Besides, the i.LINK DV In / Out Terminal (IEEE1394 Standard) also allows easy digital data transmission between Digital Handycam, DV VCR or PC. ...

They say there is a USB cord included.

The good news is while old your Camera can hook up to your PC via USB
I found a couple of sites that show pics of your camera and you should have a port that looks like the image below:

Hopefully you still have all the cords that came with this as you need one that looks something like this:(I couldn't find the exact picture but one of the sides looks exactly like the larger plug.

The small end goes into the camera where into the thing that looks like a pitchfork. DO NOT FORCE IT. It only goes one way.

Insert the circled part of the cord into the place the red arrow is pointing

Insert other end of the cord circled (USB part) to the PC

I have to read the manual to figure out the specifics but that should get you connected to your PC.
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't it be better to use the cable port right below and use a firewire cable? they're faster and don't drop as many frames and stuff.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's exactly what my camera looks like. It's all hooked up so now what do i do?
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can only assume you're using a firewire, cause that's all I know how to describe.

Turn your camera to VCR, turn on your computer, and connect the firewire cable to your computer. (I assume this is exactly the same with a USB cable, but I'm only guessing)

At this point your computer should beep or boop or something to that effect and a little camcorder icon should appear somewhere near your clock in the task bar area. If not, go to CONTROL PANEL and ADD HARDWARD and follow the on screen instruction and HOPEFULLY your computer will detect the camera. If not, I have no further help to provide.

Once your computer knows a camera is there, you need to CAPTURE the video that's on your camcorder onto your computer (basically transfer it from point A to point B). I don't use WMM so I don't know if it has the option to do this, but if it does it's likely under the FILE command, that's where it is in Premiere.

And that is all I will add at this point. Let us know if you can get that far.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope what JakeNRoland posted helps because I have never used the firewire ports.

If you use the USB port the little beige/yellow bubble pops up in your tray area to the lower RIGHT when you plug the cord in and the camera is on.

JNR was correct about the WMM2. When you turn on Windows Movie Maker 2 go to the top and select "File" then find "Capture" and the resulting window should look something like this: (click the thumbnail for larger pic)

The difference should be that your screen should say something to the effect of "SONY (DCR-TRV17) Capture Device" where mine says "Adaptec Capture Device" or something similar.

I can't tell you where to go from here as I've never used WMM2.

*********If your movies are saved to the SONY memory stick you may be able to see these as files when you double click "My Computer" and look for an additional "Drive" letter that wasn't there before. This is your camera.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: