Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YouTube-Who's claimed what now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: YouTube-Who's claimed what now? Reply with quote

I need some advice as I have know idea what to do about this

Someone has "claimed" the audio on one of my REALLY old videos. Here's the message I got:

Quote:
UMG has claimed some or all of the audio content in your video Broken Hallejuah. This claim was made as part of the YouTube Content Identification programme.

Your video is still live because UMG has authorised the use of this content on YouTube. As long as UMG has a claim on your video, they will receive public statistics about your video, such as number of views. Viewers may also see advertising on your video's page.

Claim Details:

Copyright owner: UMG
Content claimed: Some or all of the audio content
Policy: Allow this content to remain on YouTube.

Place advertisements on this video's watch page.

Applies to these locations:
Everywhere

UMG claimed this content as a part of the YouTube Content Identification programme. YouTube allows partners to review YouTube videos for content to which they own the rights. Partners may use our automated video/audio matching system to identify their content, or they may manually review videos.

If you believe that this claim was made in error, or that you are otherwise authorised to use the content at issue, you can dispute this claim with UMG and view other options in the Video ID Matches section of your YouTube account. Please note that YouTube does not mediate copyright disputes between YouTube owners. Learn more about video identification disputes.

I typed in "UMG" at YouTube and it came up with "Universal Music Group" So, what, they've "claimed" my video? How is that fair? I credited who did the song already. Now what do I do? Just leave it? I'm confused, I've never had this happen to me before. I looked at the vid and it doesn't look like anything's been changed, there's not even a link to "UMG" there as far as I know. This is a really old vid so I don't particularly care about it but I was just a little surprised by it. What should I do now? :\
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemma,

I've gotten a few of those myself, and other than having an ad placed on my vid's page, nothing's changed and I haven't had to do anything. I think it's their way of saying "we see you used our music, but we're letting you leave your video up". Which is pretty cool, cause some bands who shall remain nameless make you take vids down if you used their music.

So basically, you don't have to do anything as far as I know!
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good! I thought that might be the case but just wanted to make sure. Thanks Heather!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've had this on a couple of my old videos with Rent music, you can leave your video up which is cool
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bummer is that they put annoying ads onto that vid's page, but I can live with that as long as they don't shut down my account *fingers crossed*
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah; that happened to an old conmama one of mine, better than me, but it was about five months ago and the vid is still there. yeah; to me its just like heather said 'we're claiming that the music in your vid is ours; but you can keep your vid up"

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it annoys me that they can just go ahead and do that but I suppose it's fair enough. I'm glad it was an old one though =]
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, honestly? I wouldn't care if they put ad banners up so that they get a few pennies every time the vid gets a hit (which is all they're really caring about anyway, lol! ) if that would protect vidders from legal actions from copyright violations!

That certainly freaks you out when you get a message like that, doesn't it? But, like everybody else said, that's just basically saying that UMG is allowing you to use the song but they want a banner ad up so that they'll make a bit of revenue from it.
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, yes it did freak me out for a bit! But ITA, if it saves me from being sued or something! At least I know for if it happens again now.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, since when has Youtube been doing this..?

I like it!

Now, instead of deleting every single video on the site, they can actually inspire cooperation between jerk copyright holders and the rest of the world!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, consider yourself lucky Jemma, you got UMG and they are cooperating with allowing people to use their label music without paying for it. A huge label like that at least is being smart and taking a friendly approach to stuff like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: