Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on repetition of shots for a repeated song line...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabs
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Thoughts on repetition of shots for a repeated song line... Reply with quote

What is the prevailing thought on the repetition of a series of shots? The video I'm working uses very specific scenes to go exactly with the words in the song.

Is it ok to repeat what is seen for one line (i.e. the bridge line into the chorus), or is this considered a faux pas? This line happens twice in the song and I'm thinking of utilizing the same series of shots both times (because it works really well the first time, and there is a lack of scenes of the character doing what needs to be done for the scene).

Am I making sense at all?
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I guess it's ok to use the same scene, but it'd be nice if you could add something to differentiate the scene like color, lightinh or other effects, even perspective. I don't know what programs you use I use Sony Vegas 5 so.. there are plenty of effects.

And no it's not late. I'm at work actually, you know since I live on the other side of the world. So...

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
Jabs
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Did not check to see where you were in the world.

I'm just using iMovie, actually (I think I'm the only Mac person here!).

I'll try to change it up. I think I just want to be lazy as it's 4:45 in the morning here in the desert.

Thanks!!!
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem dude. Wait you're a dude right?
I actually used a repetition of scene in my vids too. I think it's Brand New Day, or Think Twice.

MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fine if it's only twice.

If it was 8 times, then no.

Lucky, it's 4:45, it's 5:45 here.
Jabs
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No problem dude. Wait you're a dude right?

Heh.

My name is Leslie. That doesn't help, does it?
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as in Leslie Arzt?

Jabs
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That's me. Back from the dead to haunt LVI.

I'm staying very far away from the TNT this go-round.
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dont wanna turn this thread into spam so head over to CBN &Potter spam thread alright/?

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda glad you asked this. I agree with Nate that it's okay only if some big effort is put in to make it look different. But my decommendation for it would actually be to maybe see if you could get that same scene's action from a different camera angle? Often in Lost they change cameras many times during the same scene... if you could do that at all, it would give the same idea of the same thing happening again, but it will still be different.
Vids that repeat one clip over and over again (especially when it's twice in a row >.<) are one of my biggest pet peeves, so watch out with this! LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jabs
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
I'm kinda glad you asked this. I agree with Nate that it's okay only if some big effort is put in to make it look different. But my decommendation for it would actually be to maybe see if you could get that same scene's action from a different camera angle?

I've been wrestling with this all night. The problem I've encountered is that in the first go-round I used all the camera angles for that scene. Let me stop speaking in generalities and be more specific:

The line is "So turn and run", and it's also the title of the song (i.e. it's an important line). The video is a Charlie/Claire/Ethan/Danielle thing. While there is plenty o' footage of Charlie running through the jungle, there is only one scene of Claire doing so (in Homecoming). I used all of the scenes of her running (actually there were only two or three shots of her, intercut with two or three shots of Ethan). I edited out the Ethan bits and replaced them with Charlie running from the monster in Pilot I, so Claire and Charlie are intercut, running in the same direction in the rain.

My conundrum comes from the fact that the only other two clips that I could find of Claire running were: a quick walk (that looks incredibly stupid when sped up) from Exodus (when she goes after Charlie to tell him to get Aaron back), and her running on the beach with Jack and Hurley in the Pilot. Neither works together (due to continuity reasons).

So I'm struggling with the artistic intent of the shot (i.e. to show them turning and running from the same dangers) vs. the practicality of the fact that women who are 9 months pregnant don't tend to do alot of running: even on Lost.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you use that clip of Claire looking in shock at Ethan coming towards gher from Homecoming, when there's a close up of her face? The lyrics don't always have to match at the exact same time of the incident, and since these videos are being shown to Lost fans who know their stuff (and Claire looks pretty scared in that clip too...) I think it's likely that that clip coupled with the lyrics will get the same response from the viewer that Claire is in danger. Does that make any sense? would that clip work out?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm you could also try both, you have the running scene ready or? you could save that one, and maybemake another one, and of you like the other noe better, than this, you canuse this, and if you'Re4 not sure oyu could ask us?
OR use the effect like Warren and nate said

maybe you could make the second thing in grey or so?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: