Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hobbes Requests: The Ultimate Sawyer Character study

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Hobbes Requests: The Ultimate Sawyer Character study Reply with quote

heh, sorry for the title. Thought it might make more people see this though.

So, I found a song which I think would make a pretty sweet Sawyer / Skate character/ship study. Check it out:

Cowboys by Counting Crows
http://www.zshare.net/audio/1155578744082085/

Lyrics:
Quote:

Cowboys on the road tonight
Crying in their sleep
If I was a hungry man with a gun in my hand,
And some promises to keep,
Who wanted to change the world,
What's as easy as murder?
It's all headlights and vapour trails
And Circle K killers

And I know I could look at anyone but you now
I could fall under the eyes of anyone
But you now, now, now, now

So come on, come on, come on
Oh, come on through now
Come on, come on, come on
Oh, come on through now

This is a list of what I should have been
But I'm not
This is a list of the things that I should have seen
But I'm not seeing
The look in your eyes
As his fingertips slid down your neck
And made you shiver
I'm just turning away from where I should have been
Because I am not anything
Oh, anything, oh

The President's in bed tonight
But he can't get to sleep
'Cause all the cowboys on the radio are killers
And I believe she loves you
'Cause you never make her feel like anything
She said, "I wouldn't feel a thing,
But I can feel, I can feel..."

I could fall under the arms of anyone

Oh, come on through now
Oh, come on through now

But I'm not
But I am not seeing
The look in your eyes
As his fingers are unzipping your dress
And it makes you shiver
I'm just turning away from what I shouldn't see
Oh, anything, no

Everyone's in bed tonight
But nobody can sleep
'Cause all the satellites are watching through our windows
She says she doesn't love me, like, like she's acting
But it's as if she isn't talking
'Cause Mr. Lincoln's head is bleeding
On the front row while she's speaking

I said, "come on all you cowboys,
All you blue-eyed baby boys,
Oh come on all you dashing gentlemen of summer,
I'll wait for you where Saturday's a memory,
And Sunday comes to gather me,
Into the arms of God who welcome me,
Because I believe, oh I believe..."

Oh, come on through now
Oh, come on through now

But I'm not
But I'm not seeing you look at me
So please, won't you look at me?
'Cause I'm not seeing you look at me
Oh, oh, I, I will make you look at me
Or I am not anything
Oh, anything
No no no no
No no no no
No, no.

From just the lyrics... I think it's about the most perfect Sawyer character study song I've ever heard. It includes him, his self-loathing, his history with the Real Mr. Sawyer, his relationship with Kate - and dealing with the fact she's in love with Jack (if you believe that, like I do) but that he makes her "feel", and even includes bits of his relationship with "Mr President" Jack.
It's close to perfection. DAMN close.

And I'm giving it up.

Why? Mostly because I really just don't want to make it. I'm too lazy. Way too much work with fast beats and whatnot needed . Too much work . And not enough potential for some animation or twist or whatever that generally gives my vids that bit of edge.
Nope, this one needs someone who knows exactly what they're doing with a fast-paced, beat-intensive song like this. It deserves the best of the best . And so, I'm giving this up in hopes of finding someone who can live up to this song's potential.

I think there may be more than a few people who would want to do this vid (or hope, at least), seeing how perfect the song is , so please post in here if you're interested, even if someone else has already offered. We'll have some sort of mini-contest to decide who gets it haha!

Also, please tell me I'm not crazy, and that this is in fact an amazing Sawyer song
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am crazy then . *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great song to use Warren, but I'm kinda snowed under at the moment with my GCSE's next week. But afterwards I'll be free about mid June so if no one has decided to do this I'll see what I can do
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! (NOT CRaZy!!11)
And yeah, no worries - time's not really an issue either. I just think *someone's* gotta do this song. lol
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah lol.
I've been listening to it for a couple of days since you put it up and it's been growing on me
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it took me so long to listen to this, Warren. My big, all-inclusive excuse:

I forgot until just now. Very, very sorry.

Anyhoo, though, I listened to it just now and I can totally see where you're coming from; I'd LOVE to see this one done! *roots for Charlie to come back and pick this one up* You'd do a great job with it! ♥!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really want to do this now

When I'm free from tomorrow with nothing to do, so you know this goes pretty much to top of the list of to do vids with a video for my best friend for GG

When I mean if you have any other pointers than Warren posted about the lyrics I'd love to hear them Actually just listening to the song now and I'm not sure what to do for: Crying in their sleep bit
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!
*So excited*

Okay, I'll give you a kinda rundown of what I was thinking:

Well you've got a few choices of how to go about this: You could do the "mix and match" version, where you try to fit each verse to some part of Sawyer, from any chronological order (which shouldn't be too hard since the song is SO Sawyer lol)

or, you could go the story approach, and try to see some sort of linear timeline or AU that still touches on all these verses and fits them to Sawyer (like maybe some sort of "Sawyer loves Kate, but she's with Jack, and so Sawyer takes it out on himself - risking his life constantly because he doesn't care anymore" (ok, kinda typical vid . But it could be a little better than that lol)

OR, you could mix the two - and take advantage of the way the song kinda sounds disjointed and jumpy, and use that to cut to whatever point in Sawyer's life you need to, as sorta a flashback - but then have an overarching plotline to the song that sorta all takes place in one moment. So basically, it would be like Sawyer looking back on his life as he's about to do something drastic.
So... to illustrate, here's an example of what I was thinking:

instrumental:
opening teaser of Sawyer about to sorta face his destiny. I'm thinking the Keamie battle could work as the base point - spliced in with all the fight scenes Sawyer has had before, like its all one big fight scene or something. Anyway, this is just to open into that area, and have that as kinda the focal point of the vid that you gradually build up for the big climax at the end. I dunno though, just an idea. The clips may not even support it well enough.

Quote:
Cowboys on the road tonight
Crying in their sleep
Who wanted to change the world,
What's as easy as murder?
It's all headlights and vapour trails
And Circle K killers

Flash to flashback Sawyer, all angsty about Sawyer Senior. The "cowboys on the road tonight, crying in their sleep" could be angsty flashback Sawyer. "wanted to change the world, what's as easy as murder?" is the perfect intro to his killing of Sawyer(s) (maybe even fit in that old 1x09 shot of him shooting the not-Sawyer dude from the flashback too? haha)

Quote:

Flash back to the island, and Kate. Lots of leeway for what you want to do with the "Kate" sections here. It may be possible to link them in a way too.

Quote:

Oh, come on through now
Oh, come on through now

transition to "present" Sawyer, at his final battle-esque moment. Or show the story leading up to it. Or something.

Quote:
But I'm not
But I'm not seeing

Sawyer and his letter. Preferably in some scene where it easily links to the next section:
Quote:
The look in your eyes
As his fingertips slid down your neck
And made you shiver

This is a cool one. You could go with Sawyer seeing Jack and Kate, OR you could go with Sawyer being his extremely angsty self with Kate, and seeing himself as "him". If that makes sense. Tough to pull off though. But if there's someone who could do it, it's you!

Quote:

I'm just turning away from where I should have been
Oh, anything, oh

Sawyer hating himself, for some reason or other. Maybe a small hint back to the final battle moment.

Quote:

The President's in bed tonight
But he can't get to sleep
'Cause all the cowboys on the radio are killers

Enter Jack. Mr President. heh. Perhaps the cowboy on the radio is Sawyer? Would the season 3 Otherville beginning work for this? meh
Quote:

And I believe she loves you
'Cause you never make her feel like anything
She said, "I wouldn't feel a thing,
But I can feel, I can feel..."

Ah, Sawyer's insightful take on Jate . I love it! Dunno how to present it in vid form though. But man, those lyrics just fit so well.

Quote:

I could fall under the arms of anyone

Some way to transition from Kate to the final battle buildup thing again. Perhaps a "recent" Skate scene? The "now, now, now, now" seems too pushy to ignore.

Quote:

Oh, come on through now
Oh, come on through now

Back to the final battle scene. Somehow taking it forward more.

Quote:

But I'm not
But I am not seeing

Flash back again. This time to a sorta "calm" moment that fits everything. Perhaps with his letter, perhaps not. Lots of room for something cool here.

Quote:

The look in your eyes
As his fingers are unzipping your dress
And it makes you shiver
I'm just turning away from what I shouldn't see
Oh, anything, no

oooh, tough one. It ends with extremely angsty Sawyer, I know that! But what sparks it? Something between Jack and Kate, I'm sure. But so many possibilities

Quote:

Everyone's in bed tonight
But nobody can sleep
'Cause all the satellites are watching through our windows
She says she doesn't love me, like, like she's acting
But it's as if she isn't talking
'Cause Mr. Lincoln's head is bleeding
On the front row while she's speaking

Here's a total moment for some AU. Maybe Sawyer hurts Jack, and makes Kate hate him, and *that's* why he's pretty much about to throw his life away in that final battle moment. (actually, did he already hurt Jack and make Kate hate him at some point? Surely he must have!) OR, maybe Kate simply left him for Jack. Either way, he's ANGSTY

Quote:

I said, "come on all you cowboys,
All you blue-eyed baby boys,
Oh come on all you dashing gentlemen of summer,
I'll wait for you where Saturday's a memory,
And Sunday comes to gather me,
Into the arms of God who welcome me,
Because I believe, oh I believe..."

Okay, final battle moment finally paying off. Sawyer wants to basically throw his life away because he's so guilty over his past (which we've been flashing to through the whole vid). Sawyer is pretty much saying goodbye, and going out with a bang. This is his moment of making peace before the end. The "cowboys" could be Keamie and co, or the Others, or whoever. The point is Sawyer's going down fighting - and these guys are who he's fighting.

Quote:

Sawyer's "goodbye" to Kate. Or, basically the conclusion to whatever story is being told with them. Trying to keep it as "present" as possible though.

Quote:

Oh, come on through now
Oh, come on through now

Last setup for the final battle.

Quote:

But I'm not
But I'm not seeing you look at me
So please, won't you look at me?
'Cause I'm not seeing you look at me
Oh, oh, I, I will make you look at me
Or I am not anything
Oh, anything
No no no no
No no no no
No, no.

Finally revealing the real reason Sawyer is so angsty, and ready to throw his life away.
Maybe he did something to Kate that can't be forgiven. The "make you look at me" NEEDS to be used - that's like... the most important line of the whole vid.

Huge instrumental:
The final battle, and perhaps Sawyer's end. (or, leave it open ended? or something?)

ANYWAYS - yeah! That's my sorta idea of one way to go about it. This version is essentially the story of Sawyer's guilt and self-loathing for his past misdeeds - particularly that of Kate. It may need AU to get the exact story told, but at the same time it totally fits Sawyer's character. I realize how the "final battle" thing is slightly dumb and takes focus away from the real story - which is in all those flashes - but I think it's a really useful metaphor for his self-loathing, and need to go down fighting (and honestly, that's exactly what Sawyer does when he's mad at himself. He just pushes everyone away and does something drastic). Plus, it works as a good framework/filler to kinda tie the whole story together, and it would be perfect for fitting the extremely fast bits near the end which *need* an action-y clip to fit them. And simply putting "random" Sawyer fight scenes or something there would just not be as great .

Sorry if I totally freaked you out, or completely messed-up whatever you were thinking - totally my bad . I really don't have all that concise a vision or whatever for the vid - I think it can work in a TON of different ways, and this was totally just a suggestion (it doesn't even have to be Kate! It could be Conmama haha). But I am quite fond of the idea of an angsty Sawyer vid that is both action-packed and insightful to his character - which this song totally is!

( also - I just kinda got psyched for this vid now haha , so now it *has* to be done. I don't want to do it, but if you back out I may just have to haha )

Quote:

I forgot until just now. Very, very sorry.

LOL not a problem Ais. You can always take your time - but I'm so glad you got to hear this! It really does fit Sawyer so well! And now I really really wanna see it lol
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol Thanks Warren for that I was actually listening to the song on my ipod on the way back home and was putting clips to it in my mind

Quote:

And yeah I had the bit from 1x16 in head of when he shoots the fake Mr Sawyer, with it being the promise to keep to kill the mr sawyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: