Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final Cut Pro Tips & Tricks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pendora-lass
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Final Cut Pro Tips & Tricks Reply with quote

Okay, there seem to be very few (if any ) Final Cut Pro users on here, so I guess I'm not going to find an "Idiot's Guide To Vidding In Final Cut Pro" anywhere on here. But as it is such a complex program I know there is still a TON about it that I've yet to learn. So instead I thought I'd ask if there are any FCP users on here and if they'd identify themselves. Maybe some of you have some tips and tricks you've learned from your experience with the program that you'd like to share?

"You are the one who lies close to me..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help you out but I'm in the same boat as you. I have it but don't edit on it much b/c I find it so confusing...so I'm slowly learning but using imovie mostly. I know Yael uses FCP...maybe she can help us out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pendora-lass
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkimonique wrote:
I wish I could help you out but I'm in the same boat as you. I have it but don't edit on it much b/c I find it so confusing...so I'm slowly learning but using imovie mostly. I know Yael uses FCP...maybe she can help us out.

Yeah, when I first opened the program I found it very overwhelming. It was only after months of fiddling around and pouring over Final Cut Pro for Dummies that I was able to actually complete a vid on it. It's all I use now, but a lot of the times when I'm trying to do some cool effects/whatever I find myself wishing there were more music vidders who use the program.

But I do have some of the basics down, so if you have any questions of that nature I could try and answer them

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll let you know... I'm just being lazy and don't really feel like delving into it just yet....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pendora-lass
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkimonique wrote:
Thanks! I'll let you know... I'm just being lazy and don't really feel like delving into it just yet....

Haha, yes, THAT I can understand

IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I LOVE YOU!!!

I was just on here last night looking for ways I could possibly use Vegas tutorials to my benefit.

Yeah I just made my first FCP video and I'm working on the second. I've not done much with effects, but I'm working on it. I'd really like to work on masking. I've found a way where I can crop a d bunch and then use a color key filter to get rid of a certain color. It's working fairly well, but I'd really like to find a more direct masking tool where I can just out line my object.

Nikki, thanks for thinking of me. I'll help in anyway I can. Us Mac users have got to stick together!
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSoLostRightNow wrote:
I was just on here last night looking for ways I could possibly use Vegas tutorials to my benefit.

Yes! There are SO many vegas users/tutorials on here and it's such a shame we CAN'T make use of them as the programs seem to be very different.

Quote:
I'd really like to work on masking. I've found a way where I can crop a d bunch and then use a color key filter to get rid of a certain color. It's working fairly well, but I'd really like to find a more direct masking tool where I can just out line my object.

Hmm, I've never really heard of anything like that method of yours, but it sounds neat. Care to elaborate? I usually use a combination of the "Mask Shape" matte and the "Eight-Point Garbage Matte" and then use feathering to smooth things out. But I agree, a direct masking tool with outlining options would be GREAT.

IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I can place a clip over an image on a tv screen in one of my clips??

I would just put a square over it, but it's angled so it doesn't lay quite right. Any pointers?
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSoLostRightNow wrote:
Does anyone know how I can place a clip over an image on a tv screen in one of my clips??

I would just put a square over it, but it's angled so it doesn't lay quite right. Any pointers?

I've never actually done this effect myself, but I've always thought it was a cool one. After some fiddling around in FCP, this is what I came up with:

ONE: Import your desired TV clip (I just used the screencap you posted) and place it on the timeline. Then import your desired clip you want to go over the TV screen and place it on the timeline on a track directly above your first clip (I used a screencap of Claire, but I'm sure it would work the same using an actual clip).

TWO: In Wireframe mode (View > Image + Wireframe), resize/rotate/arrange Clip B in the Canvas window until the top and bottom of the image line up with the top and bottom of the TV screen.

EXAMPLE:

THREE: Double-click on Clip B in the Timeline and apply an Eight-Point Garbage Matte (Effects > Video Filters > Matte > Eight-Point Garbage Matte)

EXAMPLE:

FOUR: Click the Toggle Clip Overlays button on the Timeline and lower the opacity of Clip B. Go to the Filters tab in the Viewer window. Adjust the eight separate points until the image is cropped the way you want it. Fiddle with the Smooth and Feather options until the edges of Clip B are more smooth and even.

EXAMPLE:

FIVE: Place the opacity of Clip B at 100% again and your final result should look something like this:

EXAMPLE:

I hope that helps! Sorry if I went into all the details too much; I don't know how familiar you are with FCP and it was just easier for me if I didn't skip any details and just explained everything. My end result isn't perfect, but if you spend a little more time on it I'm sure it can look good.

Let me know if this helps at all!

IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my gosh! Thank you so much it worked beautifully!!!!!
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamSoLostRightNow wrote:
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much it worked beautifully!!!!!

Yay! I'm so glad

Deej
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been here in a while (hides head in shame) but I'm a final cut user too. So, that makes... 3 of us? Lol. Anyway, I haven't used it for very long, but I've been collecting tuts from all over. Maybe some of these will be of interest.
Flash cutting with the blink filter
Picture in picture
Editing to the beat
How to do a split screen
How to make your vid look good on youtube *awesome tips
fast and slow motion effect
emeek77's tutorials *lots of stuff

And just for fun, Final Cut's demo reels. I love to study these for inspiration.

2007 demo reel
2006 demo reel
2005 demo reel
Pendora-lass
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deej wrote:
I haven't been here in a while (hides head in shame) but I'm a final cut user too. So, that makes... 3 of us? Lol. Anyway, I haven't used it for very long, but I've been collecting tuts from all over. Maybe some of these will be of interest.
Flash cutting with the blink filter
Picture in picture
Editing to the beat
How to do a split screen
How to make your vid look good on youtube *awesome tips
fast and slow motion effect
emeek77's tutorials *lots of stuff

And just for fun, Final Cut's demo reels. I love to study these for inspiration.

2007 demo reel
2006 demo reel
2005 demo reel

Oh, thanks so much for the links, Deej! The Youtube one will I think be especially helpful

Deej
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pendora-lass wrote:

Oh, thanks so much for the links, Deej! The Youtube one will I think be especially helpful

Yeah, that one's not bad. Here's another one that was useful.
uploading your movies for youtube

Personally, I've found that using mp4 turns out the best for me instead of .mov. And using 25 or 30 fps and a data rate of 2000 to 3000 and 640x480. Oh, and I use quicktime for compressor. I can still get a 4 minute project looking good on youtube and still keep it under the 100meg limit. That's how I did my most recent project and it looks pretty good.

I've found that taking a combination of several of these tut suggestions and customizing them has worked out best for me.
OvariesOfSteel
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEE! I knew LVI would come through for me!

*Don't mind me, bumping all Mac threads for easy reference*

Banner by Sarah

Writing4aCause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: