Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vegas All-In-One Help thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Rendering settings Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Here's what I use...

Windows Media Video V9
Video rendering quality: Best
Audio: 64kbps, 44kHz
Image size: 428x240 (keep original size)
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,000 (square)
Frame rate: 30,000
Quality: 90%

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Creating an echo effect Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie wrote:
The echo effect is pretty easy to achieve. The way I do it always achieves the best result for me, so here goes:

1. Right-click on the clip you want to put the echo effect on.
2. Click on 'Assign Non Real-Time Event FX'
3. When the window pops up, click on 'Sony ExpressFX Reverb'
4. Another little window will pop up. In the white drop-down menu, select 'Deep Hall'
5. Set the two levels below it to 75% and 100%
6. Click OK and save the .wav file.
7. It puts the .wav file straight into your project, so you don't need to faff around with importing it.
8. Because of the echo lasting quite a while, you'll need to drag the end of the audio clip along until both the 'peak lines' are completely flat, then it won't sound awkward when it cuts out, it just fades away to nothing.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Getting only one part of a still picture effect to flash Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
If you're dealing completely with still picture elements then the easiest way I can think of is to prep your manip twice, once with all of the elements in place and another time with the parts that you want to flash painted over with blue (or green or red; if you have a lot of blue in the pic, then use one of the other colors ). Then put the blue pic on a timeline above your non-blue pic and use the Chroma Keyer, Blue Screen (or Green or Red) on it (be sure to use the little eyedropper and select the color of blue directly from your pic, that'll keep it from leaving a dark film).

Now you're seeing "through" the blue to the manip on the timeline below it. Either use the brightness controls to make the manip flash or copy that manip onto the same timeline and use the Flash transition on it. That would give you that nice glowy flash that should only be visible on the blue screened parts of the pic, making it look like only one part is flashing. That's exactly how I set up my Skate vid; the photo album page is actual just a blue screen mask, with the inside of each "picture" painted blue. Then I chroma keyed it so you can see through to the two timelines underneath it and that made it so that any of the flashes etc. didn't show up on the "page" but only on the "pictures."

Now, if you're dealing with moving video, then that's going to take a bit more doing. I'd recommend using a screencap instead of the actual video if possible, just because it makes it easier to get the effect and I've found that, unless the movement in the video is really necessary, then the effect itself will carry the shot without it looking like the motion slammed to a halt.

If the video part is really important to keep, like if you wanted to see Locke typing on the keyboard and see the manip on the computer screen or something like that, then I'd try putting the vid clip of Locke typing on the top timeline and the manip below it, then use the cookie cutter on the vid clip and cut out the computer screen, so that you're making a "hole" where the manip can be seen through. Then just put the flash on the manip and see how it looks. It'll mainly be trial and error as to what looks the best.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Creating a flash without changing to a different clip Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie wrote:
That flash was so ridiculously easy, I couldn't for the life of me fathom out why I hadn't discovered it before. Basically, what I did was this:

1. Split the clip on the timeline at the beat.
2. Extend both ends of the clip so they cross-fade (don't move the second part of the clip forward to cross-fade it, just drag the end of the first clip INTO the second, and the start of the second back into the first.
3. Put the Additive Dissolve on the cross-fade.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Creating a white flash transition Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
To get a white flash, you can use the flash transition (found under the Transitions tab).

To white flash between two clips, just drag hard or soft flash up to where your two clips are meeting on the timeline (or you can have them already crossfaded together with one dragged back over the other slightly) then just drop the transition there.

If you want it only on one clip, such as if you want it on the very first or the very last clip of the project, then I've found it easiest to go ahead and pull a fade in or out over the spot you're going to want to be a white flash (done by putting the cursor up to the corner of the clip and dragging it back when it changes from the mouse pointer to a different little symbol and says "fade offset"). Then just drag the hard or soft flash onto the fade and it will change to a white flash instead of a fade in or out to black.

You can also use Brightness and Contrast and keyframe it to grow brighter at any spot in the clip, but I've found that the flash transition works for just about any time you need a white flash.

I hope that all makes sense!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Splitting only one clip, not the entire timeline Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
You must make sure the clip your splitting is selected and highlighted in a blue colour or vegas will split everything at that point.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Removing the audio from a clip Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Also about how to remove the audio from a clip... Does Vegas 7.0's trimmer allow you to select the video only? In Movie Studio, you highlight the part you want in the trimmer by left clicking the starting point then dragging it as far as you need. Then you right-click that section and a bunch of options pop up, a couple of them being Video only and Audio only. You can use that to leave the audio off to begin with if you know you're not going to need it.

For when it's already on the timeline, I've found it easiest to right-click the clip and select group - remove from group and that will let you delete the audio or video of that clip without taking both of them at the same time.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Getting effects onto clips, the glow effect Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Use the Video FX tab, then drag the effect you want onto the clip. When you do that, a dialog box opens and it has controls for the levels of that effect. Glow is a weird one because you don't just automatically get a nice glowy look to the whole scene, it usually starts off by turning half of somebody's face white, or making their nose glow or some bizarre thing like that! Try adjusting the percentage, suppression and intensity levels (I believe that's what they're called, I don't have my Vegas Movie Studio open right now and if you're using a newer and full version of Vegas, they may be called something different and there may be more of them, I don't know ).

I've found that there are some scenes that no matter what you do to them, they just don't get a nice glowy look like I want! But all you can do is keep fiddling with the levels and see how it comes out.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Fading the end of a song Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
[All you have to do is fade the clip out like you would a video clip. Go to the end of your song and put the cursor up by the top right part of the end of the clip. It'll change to this weird little half-circle-ish symbol (great description, huh? ), just click and drag it back and you'll see a line appear going up and down on the clip as well as a line making an arc from where your cursor is at to the end of the clip, with the peaks of the song getting smaller and smaller the farther back you drag it. That sounds completely awkward the way I'm describing it, sorry! Hopefully you'll see what I mean, though, when you try it! The farther back you drag it, the slower and softer your fade out will be. If you decide you don't want the fade there any longer, just click on the up and down line and drag it back to the end of the clip again and that will remove the fade.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Changing the tempo of a song Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
You can treat your audio the same as your video clips... Try holding down CTRL and then drag the end of the song like you were stretching it or trimming it. Pulling it back to the left should make it go faster, to the right should make it slower.

To save it like that, just highlight the entire song, mute all of the other tracks (if you have any clips on them yet ) and render as. Under your options when the rendering box comes up, use the pull-down menu to change WMV into WMA or WAV and it will save as an audio file. I believe Vegas can also use MP3 but it only gives you so many times to use that feature before it requires you to buy the plug-in. (At least, that's what Vegas Movie Studio 6.0 is telling me... ) If you really need it in MP3 format, then I'd suggest saving it as WMV or WAV, burning it to a rewriteable CD, then ripping it back off the CD with something like Windows Media Player with the option set to rip as MP3.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Adding borders Reply with quote

Lostwithoutdom wrote:
All you have to do is go down to the bottom and click the tab that says Video FX, and then look on the list to the side that says border. Then you click on the border you want and drag it on to the clip. You can than adjust the color and thickness and all that fun stuff, in the window that pops up.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Moving several clips at one time Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
There's actually a couple of different ways you can do that that I know of:

1. You can make the clips a "group" by clicking the first clip, holding down SHIFT then clicking the last clip. That should highlight all of the clips. Then right-click, select group - create new. Then the clips will stay together no matter where you move them. If you ever need to adjust them individually or something again, then you just right-click them again - group - removed from group and that'll break up the band, lol!

2. You can also just do the click the first clip - SHIFT - click the last clip and move them once like that as well without making them a group, which works well for moving them just one time.

3. You can also use Auto Ripple to move multiple timelines at one time:

However, that will move ALL of your timelines, including your audio and everything, so that usually works best for moving your whole project around as one. Although you can try adjusting its settings (click the little down arrow next to the symbol) and it might work fine for what you're looking to use it for. It mainly depends on whether the clips you need to move are at the end of the project and how many other clips are around them. I've messed up my audio before by accidentally hauling it around with the Auto Ripple when I didn't realize I was doing it. *sigh* But I use it for specific purposes and it works great! You just have to know when you have it on and what it's going to affect!

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Fading out text Reply with quote

secret_neo wrote:
^make two tracks. one for your video, and one for text only. so then you can just run the vid clip while you fade in/out the text clip.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Fading out text Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Like Neo said, you just put a fade on the end of your text by putting the cursor up at the top corner of the clip, then when it changes to a half-circle-ish sort of symbol, you pull it back to the left. The farther back you pull it, the longer and more gradual the fade. (That's the same way that you can get an overlay to gently fade in and out instead of popping in more harshly, by the way. )

Putting a fade on a clip that's on the timeline above another clip kinda works like a "floating crossfade." Try it and you should see what I mean. Just watch that you don't pull the fade back too far if there's no clip underneath it or you'll see the black of the empty timeline for a split-second. If you do, just drag the fade on your text back to the right a bit, or extend your text out a little farther. Hopefully that all makes sense!

This screencap was from a few pages back when I answered another question, don't know if you saw it there or not. Anyway, see how the ends of my watermark on the top line have those little leaning blue lines? That's where I put a fade on the start and finish of it, so my watermark fades in instead of just popping in. Also you can see it on my title credit itself, which is on the same timeline as my clips because you have to conserve your timelines in Movie Studio since you only get 4. But if it was on a higher timeline, it would've worked just the same but if I would've wanted it to crossfade into my opening shot, I would've just moved it over to the right a bit more and the title would've appeared over the video clip then faded out.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
To make your own border:

1. I'd suggest starting with a screencap of your scene at its full size or at least check to see what the size is so that you'll be making your border to fit it exactly without having to try and resize it with the pan/crop tool later. My footage is 428x240 but I went ahead and capped it anyway to be sure.

2. I use Paintshop Pro 8 but any similar graphics program should work. I added 2 layers on top of my screen cap, one a solid blue color, then the one on top of that I used black and a couple of different brushes to make a border around the picture. I turned off the blue layer while I was building the border so I could actually see the cap of the footage beneath it and get an idea of how much I was going to be covering. I didn't want to make it so thick that there was only a little "window" to see my footage through later on. In this case, I tried to make it uneven and with a soft edge just for visual interest. But you could, of course, also make it hard and even like a picture frame if that's the look you wanted.

Here's what my border finally looked like when I was done and turned the blue layer back on:

3. I imported that picture into Vegas and put it on the timeline above my video footage. Then I went into the Video FX tab - Chroma keyer - blue screen and dragged the blue screen onto my border pic on the timeline. That opens the Chroma keyer controls. From there, I used the little eyedropper symbol at the bottom of the Color: control and then touched it to the blue on my border pic on the timeline. That helps the Chroma keyer to more exactly match the color I wanted to get rid of. Then I adjusted the low and high threshold and blur amount sliders until I liked the way it looked.

This is a screencap from Vegas of how the border looks over the actual footage itself:

This would also work if you have premade textures that you use to make graphics. Just put that texture over a blue layer in that second step, then erase the parts you want to be able to see through. It should work the same.

Now, I don't know if this is even remotely how other people have been doing their "homemade" borders or not, but this was kinda similar to how I've done other masks in the past so figured it should work in theory!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: