Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vegas All-In-One Help thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Sony Vegas All-In-One Help thread Reply with quote

The Sony Vegas Help Thread is a great place to find answers to many, many questions, from the basics to a few more advanced effects but it's gotten a little big and unwieldy to try and find the helpful parts. So this thread is to help find just the tutorials and other helpful things that are located in that thread. These are not new tutorials written specifically for this thread but were the answers to questions asked in the original thread.

Please note, this thread is locked so to keep it only as a collection of the tuts in the main thread. Please continue to direct all of your questions to the original thread. This one will be updated as new information is added to the original thread.

Importing video files, using the trimmer and the timeline and splitting clips by Polarbear

Brightening with Brightness and Contrast Video by Polarbear

Creating transitions by Polarbear

Cropping, panning and rotating by Polarbear

Zooming in and out by Polarbear

Speeding up or slowing down a clip by Polarbear

Speeding up or slowing down a clip using velocity by Jinlovessunxx

Using audio clips with your music by Aislynn

Reversing a clip by cylune

Mirror Imaging a clip by KajaM

Having a video clip stop into a freeze frame by Aislynn

Correcting ratio problems by Aislynn

Split screening by Aislynn

Rendering settings by KajaM

Rendering settings by Aislynn

Creating an echo effect by AlcoholicPixie

Getting only one part of a still picture effect to flash by Aislynn

Creating a flash without changing to a different clip by AlcoholicPixie

Creating a white flash transition by Aislynn

Splitting only one clip, not the entire timeline by rbexter93

Removing the audio from a clip by Aislynn

Getting effects onto your clips and some tips about the glow effect by Aislynn

Fading the end of a song by Aislynn

Changing the tempo of a song by Aislynn

Adding borders by Lostwithoutdom

Moving several clips at one time by Aislynn

Fading out text by secret_neo

Fading out text by Aislynn

Using the FourCC Code Changer by Fan4Lost

Creating a colored border by charmed_charlie

Putting an effect on multiple clips by copy/pasting attributes by Aislynn

Putting an effect on multiple clips at once by using the timeline by littleton_pace

Putting an effect on an entire project by Polarbear

Using a texture by emmasholi

Changing clip opacity by littleton_pace Note: Not from the original Vegas help thread but from a separate thread

Matching ratios and rendering in high quality by Polarbear Note: Not from the original Vegas help thread but from a separate thread

Adding/Using A Texture by littleton_pace

Last edited by Aislynn on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:35 am; edited 43 times in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Importing video, using the trimmer, timeline, split clips Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Importing the video files

The first thing you will need to do to start your video is import the clips or episodes of Lost. Unfortunately Vegas doesn't like avis too much but there is a way around having Vegas crash on you when importing avis. That is by changing the FourCC Code of the avi files.

Download AVI FourCC Code changer from here:

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml

Extract the zip file and run the program.

Open up your avi file using the explorer button in the program and enter "DIVX" in both boxes. Click apply and your avi file should now be able to be imported into Vegas. Alternatively you can encode the avis to a high end MPEG or WMV format.

The Trimmer

This is the tool you will use in Vegas to cut clips out you want to use from the movie files. Right click on the episode/clip you want to edit and click "Open in Trimmer." Hold down the left mouse button and drag it along and you can highlight a section of the space on the trimmer. Zoom in and out by using the mouse wheel. You can preview the selected clip in the preview window by using the play functions at the bottom of the trimmer. Once you're satisfied click the Create Subclip button (see pic) and name it if you want. Your clip has now been added to the project media tab.

The Timeline

At the top of the screen there is a timeline which is where you edit your video. Select the clip you just made and place it onto the timeline. You have created two layers. The top one is the video and the bottom is the audio. I will get rid of the audio layer as when making a music video you shouldn't usually need the sound from an episode. Add your song underneath the video clip and it will come up as an audio layer.

Polarbear wrote:
Splitting Clips: Pressing 's' will split a clip in two.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Brightening with Brightness and Contrast Video Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Notice how the clip looks rather dark in the small window. Let's brigten it up! Select the Video effects tab and the Brightness and Contrast Video effect. Change the setting of the preview window from draft to preview so that you get a better idea of how it will look. Change the brightness and contrast levels until you are happy with it.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Creating transitions Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Creating Transitions

When you have a few clips in order on the timeline you will probably want to add some transitions to make your video flow better or to highlight a beat in the song etc. Click on the transitions tab. The most common type of transitions are Cross-Fade, Linear Wipe and Flash. Cross Fade will let you fade between different clips or fade into/from black. This is the generic transition in Vegas and doesn't appear in the transitions tab. Linear wipe lets you wipe away a particular scene onto another one from any angle. Flash is very useful to highlight an important beat in the song.

Using the Crossfade transition

The easist way to create transitions is to put automatic crossfades on. Turn it on by selecting the appropiate button on the toolist at the top (see pic.)

Hold down the left mouse button on the clip and drag it along over the clip you want to create a transtion with. This will have created the generic cross fade transition. You can replace it with any other transition if you want and it wil stay the same length you selected.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Cropping, panning and rotating Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cropping, Panning and Rotating

This is a very useful function when avoiding the dreaded credits that come up on certain clips. You are able to zoom in on a particular clip and cut out the credits from it. Select the Event Pan/Crop function at the end of a clip (see pic.)

Move the cursor over the bottom of the square and hold the left mouse button down and drag it towards you and from you to zoom in and out. You can also rotate the clip by selecting the corners of the square and moving it around. You can pan across the clip by selecting the middle of the square and moving it around.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Zooming in and out Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When you click on pan/crop there is a line at the bottom of that window which is the timeline of that clip. Click on anywhere on that timeline and select create keyframe. Then with that keyframe selected go in and it will make it zoom up to that point. You can edit the position of the keyframe to get it just right on the timeline or with the pan/crop thing.

Polarbear wrote:
Zooming in.. well you're going to have to do it manually.. on a clip you'll notice a plus symbol. Click it and it will take you to the pan/crop window. At the bottom of the pan/crop window is a timeline. If you click anywhere on the timeline it will create a little dot. Then click on the dot and move the pan crop in and it will zoom in up to that point.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Speeding up or slowing down a clip Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Speeding up and slowing down: The easist way to speed up and slow down a clip is to hold down ctrl when dragging a clip to extend or shorten it.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Speeding up or slowing down a clip using velocity Reply with quote

Jinlovessunxx wrote:
you right click on the clip...and it will say "Insert velocity"

After that, a line should show up across your clip.

you double click on the beginning of the clip and the end of the clip, and on square should be on each side.

then do it again right next to the beginning square, and square on the end.

You should have two squares on each side of the clip..then you move the velocity up or down to make it slow or fast..

You can put the squares anywhere, but make sure there are two on each side.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Using audio clips with your music Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
What you would do would be use the trimmer to drag the audio out of the clip that you want (you've got the right-click, audio-only correct ), then put it on the audio timeline above the one the music is on. Now, I'm not sure if Vegas 7 names its timelines differently than my Vegas Movie Studio 6 or not, but it starts every project with these 6 tracks stacked one on top of each other:

1. Text
2. Video Overlay
3. Video
4. Voice
5. Music
6. Sound Effects

I always make sure to drag the song onto the Music timeline mainly because if I decide to use the audio and video on a clip, it will automatically put the audio on the Voice one and if the song is already there, they kind of plop together funny. So I leave Voice free in case I want to use an audio clip. So if you have your song on the Music timeline and the video clip you want to use on the Video timeline, then when you cut your audio clip out of the trimmer and drag it to the Voice timeline, you should get the audio clip, music and video all playing at the same time. You'll usually have to adjust the volume of each track (each timeline has a slider bar next to its number and name in my version of Vegas) to make sure you can hear the audio over the music or to turn the audio down if it's too loud.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reversing a clip Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
To rewind, click on your clip then right click it with your mouse and select reverse.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Mirror Imaging a clip Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
You press the pan/crop button:

After that, the pan/crop window opens up. Right-click on the picture, then you select "flip horizontal" and that's it.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Having a video clip stop into a freeze frame Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Cue your clip up to the moment you want it to pause at, then screencap it. There's a little button over the preview window that says Save snapshot to file.

You just click that and give it a name when prompted and it'll put that into your Project Media bin. I usually either split my vid clip at the point where I'm making the cap or go ahead and trim it to that point, then cap it so that when you just put the screencap on the timeline right after it, it'll look like the motion in the video paused. (You can try to find that exact same moment in the clip again and trim it after you've moved the cursor off of it but if you don't get the right one the video will "jerk" and the still pic will look like it suddenly snaps into another position. So I've found it's best to try and catch that exact moment rather than try to edit the clip to find it again later! )

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Correcting ratio problems Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
What I discovered is that if you pick the ratio that you want and set it in the project properties (under File -- Properties, then use the little folder icon to the right and pick one of your clips that has the ratio you want to keep) it will then set the whole project to that ratio.

After you've done that, go to all of your other clips that are out of ratio with that, open the pan/crop tool, right click on the picture and one of the options that comes up says something like "Match Output Source." Click that and it should put your clip in that same ratio. If it should be cutting something out that you didn't want it to, you can slide it over to include it.

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Split screening Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Usually you'd put your "base" image on the lower track (such as the clouds moving) and then put the clip you want to superimpose over it on the timeline right above it.

At first, all you'll see is the top clip. But put your cursor at the top of that clip and it will change to a hand that says "Opacity is 100%" or something close to that. Left click and drag down and the percentage number will start to drop and you'll see that you're dragging a line down across the clip. As you're doing this, the clip will become more and more transparent until you can see the "base" clip underneath it. Then you just play with the opacity level until it looks good to you.

If you're wanting to show just a part of the top clip (like if you just wanted to see Kate's face in the sky, for example), then you'll use the Cookie Cutter tool which is located in the Video Effects tab. You just drag the cookie cutter up onto the top clip and it will open up a dialogue box with a bunch of options. Try playing around with the different shapes, slide the size tab around, add feathering, etc and you'll begin to see what it can do. You can also still change the opacity on the clip in the same way as I mentioned before to get a transparent look.

(To resize the image you're using overtop your base image)

Aislynn wrote:
Your friend the pan/crop tool can do most of what you're looking for! (Pardon me for borrowing screencaps from an earlier "how to mirror a clip" thing I wrote up a while back. Just ignore the writing on the pics themselves... )

The arrow is pointing to the pan/crop icon that's on every clip:

When you click it that opens up the pan/crop box:

See those little boxes around the edges of the pic? Left-click on one of the corners and drag it to resize your clip. You can left-click anywhere inside the box and drag it to move the clip around, so that it's placed where you need it to be. (And you can follow the directions on the pics and click Flip Horizontal if you ever need to mirror a clip, also... )

As for cutting around a shape more precisely than with the cookie cutter, that relies on one thing: are you using the full version of Vegas or Vegas Movie Studio? Vegas has a masking thing inside the pan/crop tool that Movie Studio doesn't which lets you define out a shape point-by-point.

Aislynn wrote:
littleton_pace wrote:
ok, i figured out my issue. i dont think i was doing it right in the first place. ill try and explain what i want to do. i have this footage of claire crying and int he corner i want to put the footage of the CC kiss but smaller. what i did was put one clip on the top video line and the kiss on the second video line...and i dont think that was right...maybe you could explain how exactly to do the picture in picture thing for me?

This is how I would do it...

1. Switch the positions of your clips and put Claire crying on the lower timeline and the kiss on the timeline right above it (Vegas "sees" the timelines like they're in a stack, with the things on the lower timelines at the bottom and the ones on the higher ones above them -- yes you can reverse that but it's just easier to deal with it that way, in my opinion ). So that's why you're not seeing your cookie cuttered kiss clip, it's "underneath" Claire crying.

2. Now that the clip is on the upper timeline, click the pan/crop icon and use it like I mentioned above to make it smaller and move it where you want it to be on top of the Claire crying clip.

3. Now apply the cookie cutter to the kiss clip and pick out the shape you want -- you can play around with the different shapes until you see one that you like -- and use the slider that says "feather" to give it a nice soft edge, unless you want it to have a hard, defined edge to it.

4. If you want the kiss to be slightly transparent, so that it has more of a "dreamy" look to it, go to the clip itself and put your cursor at the top, where it'll change to a hand. Left-click and drag down and you'll see a line begin to come down across the clip. Over in the preview window, you should see the kiss shot beginning to fade out. The farther down you drag that line, the more transparent it will become.

Between the pan/crop tool, the cookie cutter, the transparency effect, and having the clips on the timeline where Vegas will "see" them the way you want it to, you should be able to achieve the effect you're looking for! Hope that helps! Good luck!

Aislynn wrote:
Anyway, the answer I gave to littleton_pace about a picture-in-picture type of effect at the top of this page is actually the same thing that's going to give you the split-screen effect I believe you're looking for. So let me paraphrase myself...

1. Put the two clips you want combined on two timelines, one right above the other. For demonstration purposes let's say that you want to show Kate smiling on the left side of the screen and Sawyer smiling on the right. Hey, why not? So you could put Sawyer's clip on the lower timeline, Kate's on the higher one (or vice versa).

2. Use the pan/crop tool on each of the clips so that Kate is over to the left and Sawyer is to the right, where you want them to be.

Here's a screencap of where to find the pan/crop tool (I'm still borrowing a screencap from another tutorial thing, sorry but it still has the things that you need to see. So just ignore the writing on it -- unless you'd like to know how to mirror a clip, if you don't already... ).

Just click and drag on the inside of the box and you'll see the picture begin to slide in the big preview window. If you need to resize either of the clips, just click and drag the little boxes around the picture:

3. Now use the cookie cutter on the clip on the top timeline. (The cookie cutter is found under the Video FX tab ) To get a true split screen look, use the square shape and leave the cookie cutter set on "cut away everything but section."

4. If you want a nice, soft edge between the two images, use the slider that says "feather." Otherwise you'll have a hard, defined edge.

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Rendering settings Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Those are the two settings I usually use:

either:
Windows Media Video V9
Video rendering quality: Best
Audio: 80kbps, 44kHz
Image size: 320x240
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,000 (square)
Frame rate: 29,970 (NTSC)
Quality: 90 or 93%

or:
Windows Media Video V9
Video rendering quality: Best
Audio: 80kbps, 44kHz
Image size: 320x240
Pixel aspect ratio: 1,333 (HD 1080)
Frame rate: 29,970 (NTSC)
Quality: 90 or 93%

The second one makes the whole vid look bigger and if you select 90 or 93% as quality rate, the size will be in between 10 to 30MB (depeding on the lenght of the vid, the effects you used etc.). I'd recommend 93%

Last edited by Aislynn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: