Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey! so im just wondering, how do i get to the sound effects, i could never find them before, and for some reason i could never edit sound either.
mystique

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aislynn, its nice to know its not only me. I also think its also my memory I need to upgarde soon so everything will be that much difficult. It plays in the preview, I just noticed when the vid gets longer and you have more things to add that the clip itself freezes at times.

I could just suffer thru WMM but I want to elevate my technique so I'll learn my way thru sony vegas, I really like it.
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolffootball37 wrote:
hey! so im just wondering, how do i get to the sound effects, i could never find them before, and for some reason i could never edit sound either.

Right click on your audio and it says something like "add sound fx" i THINK
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention something really odd that just happened to me about 5 minutes ago:

I opened Vegas, then opened my current project, "The Skate Vid That Will Not End." I started it playing and the music was full of static! I closed the project, opened it again, and it was STILL full of static. I closed the project, reimported the MP3 itself and IT was full of static! *sobs*

So I switched over to Windows Media Player and opened the MP3 there...and it was fine! Went back to Vegas, imported in a random MP3 and it played fine. Switched back to the project and this time...it was fine! So I quickly rendered the audio into WMA because I've made a lot of pain-stakingly done cuts in the music and I think that if the MP3 corrupted in Vegas for some reason, making me have to do all of those cuts again, I'd just plain give up on this vid!

So, has anybody else ever have something like that happen?

*sigh* I just want to finish this thing! It's given me nothing but headaches and heartaches for these past 2 months! I love to do complicated vids but I swear, I'm never doing one like this ever again!
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! Im glad you got it finished Ais! it was spectacular! Well i got a few questions. One, i got a manip, its taking the place of a picture, and i want just that manip to flash, without having the whole screen flash, any way to do that, Also im wondering how do you get your file really small. Like I saw Ais's new vid and it was only a few MB'S Usually a regular one for me is 50. im using WMV though, is there anything else i need to do? Thats all for now, thanks.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolffootball37 wrote:
Hey all! Im glad you got it finished Ais! it was spectacular!

Thank you kindly!

wolffootball37 wrote:
Well i got a few questions. One, i got a manip, its taking the place of a picture, and i want just that manip to flash, without having the whole screen flash, any way to do that,

If you're dealing completely with still picture elements then the easiest way I can think of is to prep your manip twice, once with all of the elements in place and another time with the parts that you want to flash painted over with blue (or green or red; if you have a lot of blue in the pic, then use one of the other colors ). Then put the blue pic on a timeline above your non-blue pic and use the Chroma Keyer, Blue Screen (or Green or Red) on it (be sure to use the little eyedropper and select the color of blue directly from your pic, that'll keep it from leaving a dark film).

Now you're seeing "through" the blue to the manip on the timeline below it. Either use the brightness controls to make the manip flash or copy that manip onto the same timeline and use the Flash transition on it. That would give you that nice glowy flash that should only be visible on the blue screened parts of the pic, making it look like only one part is flashing. That's exactly how I set up my Skate vid; the photo album page is actual just a blue screen mask, with the inside of each "picture" painted blue. Then I chroma keyed it so you can see through to the two timelines underneath it and that made it so that any of the flashes etc. didn't show up on the "page" but only on the "pictures."

Now, if you're dealing with moving video, then that's going to take a bit more doing. I'd recommend using a screencap instead of the actual video if possible, just because it makes it easier to get the effect and I've found that, unless the movement in the video is really necessary, then the effect itself will carry the shot without it looking like the motion slammed to a halt.

If the video part is really important to keep, like if you wanted to see Locke typing on the keyboard and see the manip on the computer screen or something like that, then I'd try putting the vid clip of Locke typing on the top timeline and the manip below it, then use the cookie cutter on the vid clip and cut out the computer screen, so that you're making a "hole" where the manip can be seen through. Then just put the flash on the manip and see how it looks. It'll mainly be trial and error as to what looks the best.

wolffootball37 wrote:
Also im wondering how do you get your file really small. Like I saw Ais's new vid and it was only a few MB'S Usually a regular one for me is 50. im using WMV though, is there anything else i need to do?

You know, I'm really not sure WHY my files come out so small! I've actually tried to make them larger and more high-quality! My "Fantasy" vid, for example, is just about 7 MB. When I was doing the final rendering, I upped all of the values to 100% and it rendered a nearly 30 MB file...that was completely indistinguishable from the 7 MB one! I'm totally serious! There's no visible difference! So I didn't want to waste my (very slow) uploading time on a file that wasn't any "better" than the small one!

I use almost all of the default rendering settings. The only difference is I tell it to use the original footage size, which is 428x240 in my case (I render my AVI footage down into WMV at that size before I use it for vidding). And there's also the fact that I very rarely vid over 3 minutes long, often closer to 1 or 2! The shorter it is, the smaller the file as well.

Hopefully somebody else can give you a better answer on that one! Good luck and I can't wait to see what you're cooking up in your vid!
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help Ais!!! I greatly appreciate it!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly! Hope it helps! (Actually, I'm tired and up waaaay past my bedtime so I hope it even makes SENSE! )

Note to self: Don't answer Vegas questions when you're semi-conscious...
mystique

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys
I'm really having trouble with track motion, whenever I tried to do one involving two clips(to do a split sreen it ends up doing the effect on all my clips in the video, all of them.

How can I stop it from doing that? Pleasse help lol.
Izzy94
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I had exactly the same problem...

Well, at the bottom of the "Track Motion" screen, you will see timeline (just like the one in the 'pan/crop' window). Well, you use it in exactly the same way - Hope you understand

Or, just create another track!
mystique

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Izzy. I'm a lil confused though, if you mean, moving the line on the timeline to put it back, yeah. Though I just right click on the box and do restore center, box etc and it goes right back to the original. But I had to do that for like all the clips and it took a while.

A seperate track, like do two, do the split screen and then move it up to the original, you can tell, I'm kinda confused lol.

K, I did them on a seperate track it seems to be working now, thanks.
LostFreakJ
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I've been here, and it has been a long time since I made a LOST vid. Now I did one, but it has to render over 5 hours! My last vid only took 15 minutes. Is this because I have 6 videotracks on the timeline or is it my computer? I just want to know 'cause when I notice a mistake in my vid, I'll have to render it all over again...

EDIT: This has changed to 13 hours. Is this even normal? If there isn't anything that can cure this problem, I'll think I'll render it during the night.

Another EDIT: So I have let it render during the night, but when I went to check this morning, it was stuck on 54% and a message said: "WhenU was unable to connect to the internet. Please check your firewall." The time left was 00:00:00.
I uninstalled WhenU and turned off the firewall. Still the same problem. I'm getting pretty desperate.
I asked this somewhere else, and some said it may be a bad file, but then the whole project would be full of bad files, so I don't think that's the problem.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there J! Good to see you again! First of all, I did some checking and WhenU is a program that's perilously close to being spyware so I'd make sure to leave it uninstalled. Also, your firewall wouldn't have anything to do with Vegas's rendering time, so make sure that that gets turned back on again for the safety of your computer.

Now, you might also want to do an anti-virus scan and an adware/spyware scan somewhere in the middle of all this, if you haven't already, just to be sure that you're not infected with something that's slowing down your CPU.

Beyond all of that... I just did a vid in Vegas Movie Studio ("Walking Behind") using all 4 of its available video tracks and I can tell you that yes, that definitely does slow down the rendering time! In fact, it slowed everything down to the point where I had to start rendering sections, then importing those and using them to create the final vid!

The main problem with that is, like you said, if you need to make adjustments, it's a pain to have to go back and rerender that again! Here's what I did and maybe it can help you, too?

I rendered each timeline by itself without the music and I did them in sections (the first verse, the chorus, the second verse, etc. ), then I imported them in one at a time (saving my original project file and renaming this one so I could always go back to the original without fear of accidentally writing over it) so I could try to get the timing correct with one timeline before I started replacing the others.

I tried to get each section as "perfect" as I could before I did that rendering but I still had plenty of places where I had to try and make corrections or adjustments later on. So I just split that rendered clip to "open up" some space and either replaced scenes or slowed down/speeded up a tiny place here and there to get the timing as close to where I wanted it as I could get.

So you might try something like that and see if that will get rid of whatever's causing that hang-up error. If it's basically a case of timeline/effects/transitions/etc. overload, then that will lighten the load for Vegas and should let it be able to render all of those pieces back together into a whole without it taking so long!

Also, the length of the project plays a factor, too. Vegas renders on an exponential scale (2 times the length of the project, 4 times, 8 times, etc. ) and the more complicated a project is (like with many timelines and lots of clips, effects and transitions), the higher the number will be. So a 1 minute long vid could take 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes, etc. to render depending on its complication level. Hope that all makes sense!

Unless you've got a lot of animation and timelines or it's a particularly long vid, I wouldn't think that it should require 13 hours to render! The fact that it still didn't manage to render even over-night AND had an error message leads me to think that there might be something else going on in there, like that WhenU program.

Good luck! Hope you're able to get this worked out!
LostFreakJ
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! It's just stupid that WhenU makes BS Player work, that's where I view my avi files with and has clear subtitles. I guess I shall continue watching with VLC Media Player or so then.

I'll try that then! Thanks again!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry if this has been answered before but I need the help. i saw the question asked on the first few pages but it didn't really get answered, not that i could understand anyway.

ive always been a WMM girl so Vegas is new to me . what i really want to do is put a vid in a vid. I've figured out cookie cutter and that's all well and good, but when I put the second clip on the second video line, its still the same size. how do i edit the second clip so that its as small as the hole in the first clip *hopes she's making sense* and is there a way to cut around objects as opposed to using the pre-made shapes?

any help would be apprectiated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 22 of 53

Jump to: