Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolffootball37 wrote:
sorry posting agin. how do i put a video image on anouther video, like i want there to be like hurley watching the t.v. or ben watching his monoter and have other scenes on the screen as if there watching that.

I'm no expert, but I think for that you'd have to stack the clips on the timeline, then use the cookie cutter.

If you wanted Ben watching one of his monitors, it might be easiest to save an image of the TV as a screencap and then use that, as it'll be a lot easier to use the cookie cutter with it.

So, I'll go from that angle.

Take the picture you've capped of the TV, and drop it onto the 'Video Overlay' line. Then go to Video FX and find the Cookie Cutter, and it's pretty simple to cut out the screen of the TV using the different shapes available (though I wish you could just have an 'eraser' brush sometimes - those shapes can be a sod).

Then drop the clip you want to put on the TV into the 'Video' line and you should be able to see the clip 'through' the TV.

What might also look good is the 'TV' effect that you can put on clips to make them look like they have the little TV lines running down them.

I hope this has helped - if you want a visual tutorial with screencaps let me know and I'll do one for you.

Supernatural Video Station
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie wrote:
wolffootball37 wrote:
sorry posting agin. how do i put a video image on anouther video, like i want there to be like hurley watching the t.v. or ben watching his monoter and have other scenes on the screen as if there watching that.

I'm no expert, but I think for that you'd have to stack the clips on the timeline, then use the cookie cutter.

If you wanted Ben watching one of his monitors, it might be easiest to save an image of the TV as a screencap and then use that, as it'll be a lot easier to use the cookie cutter with it.

So, I'll go from that angle.

Take the picture you've capped of the TV, and drop it onto the 'Video Overlay' line. Then go to Video FX and find the Cookie Cutter, and it's pretty simple to cut out the screen of the TV using the different shapes available (though I wish you could just have an 'eraser' brush sometimes - those shapes can be a sod).

Then drop the clip you want to put on the TV into the 'Video' line and you should be able to see the clip 'through' the TV.

What might also look good is the 'TV' effect that you can put on clips to make them look like they have the little TV lines running down them.

I hope this has helped - if you want a visual tutorial with screencaps let me know and I'll do one for you.

thanks. if you dont mind though i would like a visuial tutorial. im just a very visual person. thanks allot!
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well I'll get it done over the weekend and post it on Monday, if that's OK. If you don't wanna wait then I'm sure someone else would be able to do one too!

wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, thats fine. thanks for doing it.
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs. I'll just make a notepad file on my memory stick to remind me.

AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cookie Cutter Tutorial by AlcoholicPixie

This tutorial is specifically aimed at people who want to use cookie cutter to manipulate clips so they look like they're on one of the TVs in the hatch etc. The values may not be exact, however, so play around with them yourself until you achieve your desired effect.

To begin, drag your desired clips onto the timeline. It would be a good idea to drag the 'TV' clip onto the Video Overlay line, as when you cut out the screen, it will act as a window for whatever is on the Video line. But we'll worry about that later.

It would be a good idea to start by taking a screen cap of the TV, with the icon shown below, and saving it to your hard drive (Fig 1).

Then import the picture onto the timeline as you would do with any video clip, deleting the clip you originally placed on the timeline.

Now you will need to click on the little 'Event FX' symbol on the TV clip and select 'Sony Cookie Cutter' (Fig 2) and click OK.

Probably the best shape to use with this screen is the 'Oval' shape, and the 'Cut Away Section' method. Once you first click these, you will see that the whole of the TV clip is gone, and you are left with the clip underneath. You will need to play around with the levels of 'Size' and 'Feather' until you're satisfied, but I found that setting the 'Feather' level to 0.19 and the 'Size' level to 0.240 worked quite well.

What might make it look even more effective is turning the clip black and white. You might also like to think about moving the clip using the 'Pan/Crop Tool' so that it's more centred on the TV screen (Fig 3)

There you have it!

wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks allot AlcoholicPixie i really appreciate it!!!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow very cool Kayla always wanted to know how to do that
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heehee no problem guys! Like I said, it's not exact but it's the best I could do with it.

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your like a pro
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charmed_charlie wrote:
your like a pro

I'm no pro, I just pick things up quickly. Heehee!

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job, AP! Thanks!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm no pro, I just pick things up quickly. Heehee!

lol your a quick learner then
easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a question--what type of files do you import in Vegas when you vid? WMV seems to work best, but I just can't get over the high quality of AVI. Vegas won't accept any AVI files for me, so I did what Paul said and downloaded the program avic100 and changed the XVID codec to divx. However, now that it imports, the video is all scraggly in many areas--so much that I can't even vid with the material. So, after all that work, I have to convert every clip I want to wmv, and along with that, the quality goes down significantly.

Any suggestions?
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God, nevermind, I read up on it and found out why and fixed it. Yeeee! I can vid!!!

Thanks anyway though, sweetness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 16 of 53

Jump to: