Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Downloading Videos?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StylinPimpette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Help Downloading Videos? Reply with quote

Hi ...for some reason whenever I download a video, i try using real player and windows media player, and i can't see the video, just the sound. i got updates for both players, and still nothing. i also downloaded divx, and i'm not having any luck. is there something else i need to download?
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Downloading Videos? Reply with quote

StylinPimpette wrote:
Hi ...for some reason whenever I download a video, i try using real player and windows media player, and i can't see the video, just the sound. i got updates for both players, and still nothing. i also downloaded divx, and i'm not having any luck. is there something else i need to download?

You have pretty much used every option. What is the make of your computer? What is the operating system?

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Winamp.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm moving this because it's in the wrong section, but anyways..
If Winamp doesn't work, you may have to search for codecs. I personnally hate the whole process, and I don't really have any tips on finding out how to do it right. Just try searching in google for ".avi codecs" assuming those episodes are indeed .avi files. Tell me that, and I'll try and find out what codec you need.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Duane Barry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Downloading Videos? Reply with quote

Did you try to play the video in the DivX player?
Jaime
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, ok I downloaded an episode of Lost from the Bittorrent thing and it won't play on WMP. I'm just wondering if I need to download something or what? Thanks....
-jaime
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know any codec sites? Enchirito? Charmax? Morelight? anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JakeNRoland
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides updating from Windows Media Players official site or from Divx, which has a good troubleshooting section with some links to codecs, I don't recommend searching around too hard. I was searching like a mad dog when episode 16 wasn't working, and I think something from one of the sites might have been bogus, but I have no idea which one. So be careful what you're downloading.

No, I'm Laura's twin. And Hobbes is my Jedi Padawan. The force is strong in that one. You guys rock!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with JakeNRoland. Unless you stick with fairly recognized official sites it is not good to put odd codecs from the P2P sites. There is also some sort of security problem with WMP 9 and a buffer overrun error causing outside individuals of questionable moral character to be able to execute scripts or programs on your computer.

If you are using WMP 9 you need to get WMP 10 for security reasons. I've also read that someone on one of the tech forums had a problem playing .avi, .mpg, and .mpegs and it was fixed once he/she installed WMP 10. You can get WMP 10 from the Microsoft site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

If that doesn't work:

I've not used any of the BitTorrent downloads since they are too huge for me but what I can suggest you try (if you have the time) is to use TMPGEnc to convert the AVI file (is the BT file AVI?) to an MPG. See if that helps.

TMPGEnc can be found here:

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

My lost music vids
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have posted this somewhere else...... anyway's this is the codec pack I use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.16 [20.0 Mb]. It will play pretty much any file. Download here > http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm_ I would advise you to set a system restore before installing.

phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, but it's not with EVERY video I download. It just with a few.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which ones? What are their extensions? You might just need a different software
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Game" is one of them.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn....
well is that the only one? Because there's a good chance that that one wont work, for the same reason that the end credits cut off, it keeps having some fricking crazy error that pisses me off sooooo much >.<
If I'm lucky, it's just a codec error for you
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the codec.

I'll download some more videos and see.

EDIT: "Sayid is Inspector Gadet" and a video that was a funny conversation between Jack and Sayid. I forgot the name of it only gaveme audio.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: