Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x05 - The Cost of Living Episode Description
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am such the maker of trouble! Argh.

Wow. Steph. That was... I don't know what that was.

I do feel justified in my message. So maybe I could have said it nicer I suppose. But my point still stands. I wasn't just defending myself though, I was defending everyone here. Harp has already said that she doesn't intend to say that we can't have our own opinions. But that's what it seemed like to me at the time. I was simply defending that.

Now that she's clarified that, I'm content to drop it.

However, the fact that Steph's been made in the past to feel that she can't voice her opinion in here without being reprimanded just goes to show that other people have felt trampled on before.

It'd be one thing if I was a non-fan and just came in here starting saying how much the show sucks. But I am a fan and I don't WANT it to suck. I'm not just some random troll dropping by to bash the show.

And yeah, I did give up the show last year about three episodes until the finale but I thought I'd give the new season a chance. (And have since seen the last three eps from s2.)
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont make me do it...

Dont make me do it...

Ah, see...too late. Its done.

KUMBAYA MY LORD, KUMBAYA!!!

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's next? S'mores? Say it isn't so!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMFAO Ruth! I frickin love you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been, like, 4,000 pages on this thread since I left earlier and the fact that Ruth is singing Kumbaya does NOT bode well for what's gone on in the past few hours...

Erin, you KNOW I want in on the LVI hug! *big squishy, squeezy hugs back!* If I missed it the first time, well, it was a total mistake!

I'm not going to address everything that was said because:

1. That would take a long time (4,000 pages, I swear! I counted every one of 'em! )

2. I don't want to stir up trouble again by bringing up each and every point.

3. 2 is too short to justify a list, so I added this one in, just because...

Let me just give my personal opinion on things as a whole. I support the right of each and every last one of you to voice your opinion. You have a right to believe whatever you want to believe about this show, like it, hate it, loathe it, whatever. BUT. It's never cool with me to, in the course of expressing your opinion, start attacking somebody personally. As it was said (in these 4,000 pages, 4,000! ), there are all people sitting behind these monitors and at these keyboards. And it hurts if somebody calls you a name or yells and screams obscenities at you. That's just plain truth.

Now, I always try hard to not take sides when something like this happens. It's not because I'm a mod (I was a regular member for a lot longer than I've been a mod and this has been my policy from the start) and not because I wasn't willing to back my people. If you're a member here, you ARE my people. That doesn't mean I'm not closer to some of you than others, of course. But bottom line, we're all part of this community and it breaks my heart when something like this happens and starts to drive a wedge between "factions" like that. That happens enough in stupid real life, I wish it didn't happen here as well. I want to hear what ALL of you have to say! Steph, I love reading whatever you have to say, on the eps, on whatever. If I ever seem to have ignored your posts, it wasn't on purpose, (this goes for Jen as well and for anybody else who feels like they get ignored in these ep discussions, by the way). It was either because I plain didn't see your post or because my head's not been on quite right for a while. I won't bore y'all with the details of that since this post is long enough already.

There's only one more ep left to go before the "fall hiatus" or whatever the heck they're calling it. I hope that everybody feels welcome to come and discuss it. If you choose not to, I understand. But everybody is welcome.

(I confess I am a little boggled as to some of the statements I've read about mod censorship here... Do you guys really think we censor you that much? For me, I never alter somebody's post just because I personally don't like the word they used. I'll do it if I'm asked, or if it's clearly an over-the-top attack on somebody, that sort of thing. But I don't ever impose my personal standards on anybody else's speech. And we certainly don't go around banning people for going off topic or for speaking their minds -- even if it's in a heated way -- like I've seen other sites do. I'm just asking cause I'm confused on this point. Anyway, don't answer if it'll get a fight going again or anything! )

And last thing, the MOST IMPORTANT THING OF ALL, as a matter of fact...

We need more adorable snowman cookies!!!!!!!! Start strumming that guitar again, Ruth! Group hug, everybody!

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
Well, you know, I think we're all adults, or can at least act like them, as ooangeliceviloo said. I have nothing to explain or dictate or waste words on. You all know what's right and what isn't.

And in my defence of this whole thing, as a moderator, I try to always... moderate. That means I try to level the playing field from whatever the vibe is - whether it be making a "it wasn't that bad" post when everyone's all down about an ep, or myself complaining when it's all happy smiles about an ep that really didn't deserve it . Likewise, I try to defend the people who are alone in their opinions here, being persecuted too harshly. I try to keep things open to everyone at all times, so someone with a conflicting opinion on't come in and just get trampled over, or (sometimes worse) ignored. Often the case is that someone will say something offending, and then the person offended will respond with something even worse, even if they're just defending themselves. That would be this whole thing with KC's response to harpreetd (which btw KC- I didn't mean to single you out, because it was more about the whole group joining in than yourself. I know you just did it in defence). Anger drives more back. . I try to defend those people to make the situation even again... to me, simply acting like nothing happened and singing "Kumbaya" doesn't cut it when things still aren't balanced and fair (LOL btw Ruth ). All this, I would be doing even if it wasn't my job as a mod. And I always hope that others follow these same principles, trying to keep peace while the discussion continues onwards.
Steph, what you said about LVI not being a place you can voice your opinions at - that honestly hurts a lot. I didn't know you felt that way, and I didn't even know that you were avoiding this place on purpose because of that. Just what situation made you feel like this in the first place? I haven't edited, deleted, banned, or anything of the like without very good reason ever . And I would hope that the other CMs haven't either. But from the way you say it, it sounds like you're implying that's the regular regime arond here. If that's the case, then I'm sorry you feel that way. Perhaps there was nobody there to defend you when someone snapped at you, or perhaps it was even me who did it, I have no idea, but whatever it was, I don't think I can believe that it was intented to suppress your opinion and make you leave that's just unfair.

Btw guys.... how about this.... just no more personal attacks, including but not limitted to people questioning people's levels of "fan". There's no such thing . And it's just a cheap shot everyone keeps throwing at each other. Whether you use it to put down people who seem to hate every episode, or to put down the "OMG THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!111" people, it doesn't matter, they both have completely valid reasons for voicing their opinions, and they both annoy each side like hell

*whew*
and with that, can I still get in on that LVI Hug?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(since there isn't a happy face with tears )

Thanks for saying that, Ais. I hate feeling like what I have to say means nothing until I get mean, because I don't like to get mean. I just like to be heard. I appreciate hearing that from you, darling. Again, thank you.

MUCH love!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if I seemed all PMSed and freaking out, but I'm a very patient person until I've been pushed past the line. I'm 30 yrs old for crying out loud! And when some 15, 16, 17 yr old talks to me like I'm some kind of schmuck, that really irks me. These ep threads have always been a sore spot with me for as long as I can remember. Cylune is right, we are all people with feelings behind these monitors(some of us with more sensitive ones )

This will be my last post in the ep threads. Sorry, but I don't have to take it. I'm sorry it had to be me that spoke out about what I'm sure that a majority of people feel right now but it had to be done.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, sing-a-long over.

I think we all understand each other a bit better, and thats cool. Next weeks episode looks pretty darn exciting, so yay!

As for the censorship thing, I have actually NEVER edited anyone's post, I dont think the other CM's have either- except if an entry if obvious "spam" (the bad spam) or an obvious troll. I never actually even thought about it.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'd like to comment on. Hobbes, I don't know about Steph's experiences. But you guys are awesome as far as "mods" go. Sure I don't always agree with what you say, but as far as mods are concerned you guys AREN'T running some kind of strict regime here. I have heard others talk about banning and editing posts but I myself have never seen it. And I've NEVER been afraid of being banned or *gasp* edited. Hahaha. So maybe there's some other reason someone might feel that way, but I'm completely oblivious to it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone off like I did. I'd never want to be banned from this site. Never. And that's the damn truth!

(I think there was a compliment buried somewhere in there.)
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to say names, but it was you Warren! you Jerk! You broke my heart, I loved you!! And you abondoned me and Warren Jr.! He misses his daddy! jk LMAO
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL okay, thanks you two , I feel better now then .
*still sighs at Steph leaving the ep discussions...*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Looks like i showed up late to the big shit-storm.

...the only thing that really stood out to me was what Steph seemed to be implying. I honestly don't know the details of the case she is referring to, but I want to point out that from DAY 1 the LVI forums have always had a strict no-censorship policy. Spam is the only thing that gets modified or removed by the mods here. When other Lost forums started going crazy with silly rules and became clan-istic, we have remained as open as possible. So it really does hurt to have accusations (implied or not) made in front of all the users who i'm sure have not had that experience at all.

KC, thanks for testifying on the subject, it means a lot from you. Also let me just say I always love reading your posts for the simple fact that they always say what they mean. No need to read between the lines, 0% bullshit, and they usually have a point to make. The way i try to write my posts.

A HEM. Now to talk about the EPISODE!
Holy Shit. KC. You are dead WRONG about this episode!

Your house of cards may be coming down (again?), but mine is building back up! IMO Season 2 (sans opener and finale) was Lost's low point, and Season 3 has been steadily building back to greatness ever since 3x03. I know a lot of people disagree with me here, but to me, Lost is making a great comeback. The show right now is obviously still recovering from season 2, cleaning up the messes it created. First Locke was delivered from his depressing hatch-obsessed rut, and swung back around to the role he was always meant to play. Now, Eko, the last of the tailies, is disposed of. Good riddance.

So the tailies where almost completely pointless? Well, yes. I will admit that Ekos death pretty much proves the writers probably didn't have much of a long term plan when they introduced them. But hey, better than having them stay around even longer pretending they had a purpose, right?

Plus, the storyline movement this season is through the roof, and that alone, regardless of if i think every plot turn is the perfect one, is worth getting excited about. Now, if they could just drop those flashbacks that NOBODY wants to see anymore...

When it comes to the new island stuff, it's all good. The Other's storyline is picking up steam, and they even throw us more bones about the nature of the monster. My own monster theory has gotten a lot cooler based on this episode's encounter.

So, while this season has been far from perfect, I am loving it so far. Will it last based on the writers now shady track record? Who knows. The writers don't inspire confidence. But for now anyway, I'm REALLY enjoying season 3!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly can't defend the forum enough regarding that aspect. You guys are so liberal you're practically Libertarians.

Enchirito wrote:
Also let me just say I always love reading your posts for the simple fact that they always say what they mean. No need to read between the lines, 0% bullshit, and they usually have a point to make. The way i try to write my posts.

*blush* Thanks for saying that. I try. And I generally feel the same way about yours. It's our way.

Enchirito wrote:
Holy Shit. KC. You are dead WRONG about this episode!

Is it weird that because that's coming from you I almost want to believe it? Seriously. I'm giving the show one more episode to keep me hooked. (And so it goes...) I may just have to tune in again in February. Who knows. But I can't believe you said good riddance to Eko. *tear* He had such potential. Though he's not the last of the tailies! Bernard is! EEP! (And I simply can't believe that the entire second season tailies storyarch was created just to reunite Rose with her husband, but that's certainly the effect, oh and to kill shannon and build half-a-church.)
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
(And I simply can't believe that the entire second season tailies storyarch was created just to reunite Rose with her husband, but that's certainly the effect, oh and to kill shannon and build half-a-church.)

*clutches at previously stitched wound as it is freshly re-opened* I'm so bitter about Shannon...seriously...she was the ONE character I could connect to, because, well...other than the rich dad thing and the having naughty relations with the brother thing...she WAS me. Snotty, hot, and a pistol to boot with a little sarcasm on the side, please? I miss Shannon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: