Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Windows Movie Maker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Help with Windows Movie Maker Reply with quote

So im making a Shoone video and i've been trying to save it for a while and it's doing all these weird things. Whenever i try to save it, it either says it's saving even though it's not doing anything, or it keeps on saying i don't have enough virtual memory even though i know i do lol. And it's getting annoying that it won't save because i worked really hard on it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now it's telling me something is corrupted. Ahhh im so confused!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, lost_fan! If it tells you that again, jot down the exact error message 'cause sometimes you can find ways around these WMM problems by googling the errors and seeing if anybody has ever had them and what they did about them.

It's usually a codec conflict that's at the heart of rendering error messages. I tried to cover a bunch of different things to try when WMM acts up, so I hope you don't mind me referring you over to my informal WMM Guide. Check out the Troubleshooting section there and hopefully there will be something that can help you!

Everybody's WMM seems to be neurotic in their own special ways, I'm afraid. But we'll be glad to help you here in any way we can!
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you soooo much! I'll go check that out and see if it helps my windows saving problem.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrrrrr it still wont work.
Now it just says saving movie... and then it doesnt save it just like freezes up.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google it. Thats what I did when WMM mysteriously deleted all my transitions and effects, and I found a WMM forum where the same thing had happened to like 30 other people.

Oh yeah, by the way Ais, those bloomin transitions STILL haven't returned! But I found away to control my 'WMM Frustration' problem

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so frustrating, I know... Have you tried saving it as a movie without the audio? If there's a problem in the song, that should work. If it still won't save, try deleting the audio and the last half of the clips on the timeline (always, always, always save your original project file first, though! You don't want to delete all of your work, just remove parts of it temporarily... )

If the first part will save as a movie (aka render), then the problem clip is in the second half. If the first half still won't render, then the problem clip (or one of them, unfortunately, there can be more than one ) is still in there. So try deleting about half of that part and try again. Keep removing more and more until you can finally get it to render. Then return to your original file, remove the audio again, and delete everything but the next batch of clips on the timeline after the ones you were able to get to render by themselves. Work your way through your entire vid like that until you have the whole vid rendered in little pieces.

Go back to your original file again but this time delete all of the clips and leave the music. Import in all of those rendered bits, then put them back onto the timeline and make sure that they're back in place where they're supposed to be (and make any adjustments if you have to). Then try rendering the entire vid with the music.

If you can't get anything at ALL to render, then there's something else going on... Let me know if you can get it to render anything at all, then we can go from there to trying to eventually get your whole vid saved as a movie so you can upload and share it!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IntoTheVoid wrote:
Google it. Thats what I did when WMM mysteriously deleted all my transitions and effects, and I found a WMM forum where the same thing had happened to like 30 other people.

Oh yeah, by the way Ais, those bloomin transitions STILL haven't returned! But I found away to control my 'WMM Frustration' problem

Heya Elle! Sorry, didn't see you there! Oh, isn't that SO annoying when WMM mysteriously removes things like that? :X And yes, it's a great idea to check for WMM forums because you can be sure that WMM has given everybody who's ever used it a problem!
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sooo much! Your a really big help, im going to try that out now.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitally figured out the problem is not in the music or the second half of the music vid. But i deleted half of the clips and it still wouldn't work, so then i deleted like all but 2 clips and it worked. So do you think the problem is in the first half of the clips?
And i also figured out the problem is not my saving location that im saving it in either since i just saved the two clips there.
So i think the problem is either one or more of the clips in the first half or it may be not enough disk space which im completly unsure on how i would get more of that.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay now i figured out the problem might actually be the size of the video, which also means i might need more space on my computer but i have no clue how to do that.
The video is a total of 2 minutes 17 seconds. And i saved half of a half of my video without music and it saved fine but then i added the full music up to 2 min. 17 sec. but didn't add any more clips and it didn't save when i did that. So i cut down the music to where the clips ended which is at 40 seconds and it saved.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more questions:

1. Will the entire thing save without the music? (In other words, if you leave the video clips on the timeline but take the music off, will it render? If so, then it's a problem in the song.)

2. What setting are you using to render (aka save as a movie)? WMM will always offer an insanely high setting first. (Something like "Best For Playback on My Computer" or something like that.) Usually the best quality for the smallest size can be found under Other Settings, Video for Broadband 512 kbps. You can also pick Best Fit To File Size and set it for something like 15 MB and see how that comes out.

Here's how you can check how much hard drive space you have, if you think that not having enough space could be the problem:

Click Start - click My Computer - right-click whichever drive is your main hard drive, usually it's C: - click Properties

A chart should come up, showing how much used space, free space and total capacity you have. If you're within a few gigabytes (GB) of filling the hard drive, WMM might refuse to render. Then your only option is to do some serious hard drive cleaning, removing or deleting enough things to free up some room. Or you'll have to add on an extra drive for storage.

If you decide to delete things off the computer, do it cautiously, though. If you have a lot of music, pictures, documents, that sort of thing, maybe you can burn them off to disc and store them that way. Be very wary of deleting programs from the computer, especially if you're not absolutely sure of what they do. A lot of crucial Windows programs have funky sounding names that sound like they don't do anything but can end up crippling the computer if they're gone.

Okay, that should be plenty for now, huh?
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!
I definitally think the problem is space on my computer, and i need to delete clips i like never use because that is taking up so much space on my computer... how do i competly delete audio files? And pictures totally off my computer?
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of different ways to remove any sort of file (again, be sure that you don't want them anymore because once they're gone, they're gone... ).

You can right-click the name of the file, then click delete. It will usually prompt you to be sure that you want to delete the file. Tell it yes.

You can also drag the file out of its folder and straight into the Recycle Bin.

The bottom line is, both methods put the file into the Recycle Bin. (Unless you have the computer set to permanently delete a file when you click delete, then it will send it to the Recycle Bin where it can be recovered.)

After you've got the file in the Recycle Bin, then you just have to double-click the icon (or get it off of the All Programs list under the Start button if you don't have it showing on the desktop), then either right-click the file and click delete or you can click the Empty Recycle Bin button on the left, which will delete all files in the Recycle Bin permanently. While a file is in the Recycle Bin, it's still taking up room on your hard drive, so if you're trying to get back some space, you have to make sure to delete it out of there as well.

There ARE programs that can recover a program after it's been permanently deleted as long as the computer hasn't written over it yet, but that's above my level of expertise...

Anyway, hope that helps!
lost_fan2444
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sooo much! I'll tell you if that works. I think it's not working because i have SO many effects in my video so it definitally needs more space to save. Do you know how much MB is needed to save one movie? Because right now i have like 9.50MB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: