Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vidding Music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Vidding Music Reply with quote

***UPDATED 4-14-06***

The council members we LOVE watching your videos, honestly. But we’ve seen more than a few come through with the exact same film music. That’s fine and everything, but if you wanted to think outside the box, that’s good also. And you are under NO obligation to use any of these; I just know we have some film music buffs here. And you are more than welcome to add to this list; in fact I really would welcome some comments on these tracks.

And I know there’s a TON of great ones I didn’t cover here-
(Glory, Braveheart, Willow, Krull, Patriot Games, and many more) that you should definitely hear…here are just some of the “less than mainstream” that deserve a chance.

I was going to categorize them according to composer, but I decided not to. Sorry. Ill try my best to help- some of the tracks are in more than one category. You can always go to www.amazon.com or www.filmtracks.com, and listen to audio clips before you buy or cough cough download them.

I don’t do too many action cues, so check out the other tracks on these soundtracks: many of these deserve the whole album listen. These are just some highlights to get you started:

KEY: * = spectacular/really cool (in my opinion),
Message me if you can’t find something and want it; Ill see what I can do.

(More links at the end)

ACTION/DRAMA/FANFARE

*”Ball”, *The Hanging”, *”Escape”- Plunkett and Macleane, Craig Armstrong
“Revenge”- Legends of the Fall, James Horner
“To the Pirates Cave!”- Pirates of the Caribbean, Klaus Badelt
*“Morlocks Attack”, “Where the Ghosts Are”- The Time Machine, Klaus Badelt
“Fire Dance”, “Buffalo Hunt” !“Rescue of Dances With Wolves”, “Ride to Fort Hays”- Dances With Wolves, John Barry
“To Be or Not to Be” – Seaquest, John Debney.
“Mastradge Drag”, “The Other Side”, “Going Home”- Stargate, David Arnold
*“Starbuck Takes On All Eight”, “Battle”- Battlestar Galactica (mini), Richard Gibbs
*“Main Title (UK)”, *“Battle on the Asteroid”, *“Wander My Friends”, “Destiny”, “The Shape of Things to Come”- Battlestar Galactica (Season 1), Bear McCreary
“The Golden Path”- Children of Dune, Brian Tyler
“Finding the Tail”- Alive, James Newton Howard
*”The Island”, “Master of the Reef”, “Lord of the Lagoon”, “Main Title”- The Blue Lagoon, Basil Poledouris
“The Nightmare”, “3 X 3”- The Craft, Graeme Revell
*”The City of Atlantis”, “The Secret Swim”- Atlantis: The Lost Empire, James Newton Howard
*”In a Heartbeat”- 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle
*”The Cave Ceremony”, *“A Night of Love”, “Running Up the Hill”, “Morgaine’s Journey”, “Vivienne’s Death”- The Mists of Avalon, Lee Holdridge
*ANYTHING from “Lord of the Flies” by Phillipe Sarde.

INDESCRIBABLY BEAUTIFUL/HAUNTING/SORROW- (may not be all 3, just one or two

*”It’s God”, *”End Titles”- Alive, James Newton Howard
*”All of Them”- King Arthur, Hans Zimmer
“Casper’s Lullaby”, “Fond Memories”, *“One Last Wish”- Casper, James Horner
*”The King Dies” Atlantis: The Lost Empire, James Newton Howard
*“Kobol’s Last Gleaming”, *“Main Theme (UK)”, “Prologue”- Battlestar Galactica (Season 1), Bear McCreary
*”Morgaine Grows Up”, “The Children Leave/Vivienne’s World”, “Morgaine’s Despair”- The Mists of Avalon, Lee Holdridge
*“End Credits”, “Real or Imagined?”- A Beautiful Mind, James Horner
“Godspeed”, *“Good Night”, “Eloi”- The Time Machine, Klaus Badelt
*“The Lottery Ticket”, “The Storm and the Dead”, *“To Kiss or Not to Kiss”- Battlestar Galactica (2003), Richard Gibbs
*”Moonrise”- Joe Vs. the Volcano, George Delerues
*”Sparrowhawk”- Earthsea, Jeff Rona (message ME if you have this!)
*”ANYTHING”- House of Cards, James Horner
*”Child Emperor”, “Main Title”- Children of Dune, Brian Tyler
“Falling”, “The Awakening”- Paparazzi, Brian Tyler
*”Quilting Theme”, *”Night Orchard”, “Where Love Resides”, *”The Diver”- How to Make an American Quilt, Thomas Newman
*”Night Orchard
*”The Story of the Swan”- The Joy Luck Club, Rachel Portman
*ANYTHING from “Nell” by Mark Isham
*”Birth of the Legend”,*”Return to the Grave”, “On Hallowed Ground”, “Her Eyes, So Innocent”- The Crow, Graeme Revell
*”Maharet”, “Queen of the Damned”- Queen of the Damned, Richard Gibbs
*”It’s over Sid”- SCREAM 2/3, Marco Beltrami
“Kyrie”- The X-Files: The Truth and the Light, Mark Snow
“Cast Away (main theme)”- Cast Away, Hans Zimmer
ANYTHING from “A Little Princess” (I kid not)
*ANYTHING from My Life, John Barry

EMOTIONAL (UPLIFTING)

*”The City of Atlantis”, “The Secret Swim”- Atlantis: The Lost Empire, James Newton Howard
“Reunited”, “Apollo Is Gone”, *“Are You Alive?”, “The Day Comes”, *“Good Night”- Battlestar Galactica (2003), Richard Gibbs
“Wander My Friends”, “Forgiven”,- Battlestar Galactica (Season 1), Bear McCreary, “Inama Nushif”- Children of Dune, Brian Tyler
“Edward the Barber”- Edward Scissorhands, Danny Elfman
*”New Sight”- Star Trek: Insurrection, Jerry Goldsmith
*“The Diver”- How to Make an American Quilt, Thomas Newman
“June Meets Her Twin Sisters”- The Joy Luck Club, Rachel Portman
*“End Titles”, “Finding the Tail”, “The Final Climb”- Alive, James Newton Howard
“Bad People, Baby Swim”- The Blue Lagoon, Basil Poledouris
*”Bells, Books and Candles”, “The Bitches of Eastwick”- The Craft, Graeme Revell
*”Tara’s Dance”- Joseph LoDuca, Xena, And yeah pretty much anything else from Volume 4 or 2: Xena music is really good- diverse selection also.
*”The Light”- Poltergeist, Jerry Goldsmith
*”Glasgow Love Theme”- Love Actually, Craig Armstrong
ANYTHING from My Life, John Barry
“Snow Theater/Final Steps”- Rules of Attraction (starring Ian Somerhalder), Tomandandy

ROMANTIC (NOT GOOEY)

*“To Kiss or Not to Kiss”, “Reunited”, “Apollo is Gone”, “Good Night” - Battlestar Galactica (2003), Richard Gibbs
*”Love and Marigolds”, “Good Indian Girls”, “Hold Me, I’m Falling”- Monsoon Wedding, Mychael Danna
*“Love Theme”, “Falling In Love”, “Loss of the Journal/Return to Winter Camp”- Dances with Wolves, John Barry
*”Swim to the Island”, *”Starnight”, “The Beach Theme (Mystical Waters)”- The Beach, Angelo Badalamenti
*”Swept from the Sea”, “The Sea, the Memorial, the Cave”- Swept from the Sea, John Barry
*”Glasgow Love Theme”- Love Actually, Craig Armstrong
“Theme from “Only You””- Only You, Rachel Portman
*”Quilting Theme”, *”Night Orchard”, “Where Love Resides”, *”The Diver”- How to Make an American Quilt, Thomas Newman
*ANYTHING really from THE BLUE LAGOON- *“Emmeline (The Love Theme)”, *“The Children Grow”, *“Love Theme (Reprise)”, *“Underwater Courtship”, *“The Kiss”.
“Marooned Without You”- Joe Vs. the Volcano, George Delerues
*The bootleg MP3 of Poledouris’ score to “Return to the Blue Lagoon” (which I have)

POTPOURRI (emotional scale too diverse for one category)

*ANYTHING from "Step Into Liquid", Richard Gibbs
*“The Ludlows”- Legends of the Fall, James Horner
“Return to Winter Camp”- Dances With Wolves, John Barry
*“Star Buck-Buck”, !“Are You Alive?”- Battlestar Galactica (2003), Richard Gibbs
“Baltar Speaks with Adama”, “Passacaglia”- Battlestar Galactica (Season 1), Bear McCreary, *“Inama Nushif”- Children of Dune, Brian Tyler
*”Trouble in Woodsboro”- SCREAM, Marco Beltrami
*”In a Heartbeat”- 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle
*”Bells, Books and Candles”- The Craft, Graeme Revell
“Space: Above and Beyond”- Space: Above and Beyond, Shirley Walker
*“Goodbye”- X2, John Ottman
*ANYTHING from CHILDREN OF DUNE- BRIAN TYLER. I’m not even kidding.
*ANYTHING from MY LIFE- JOHN BARRY
*”The Grand Finale”, “The Ice Dance”- Edward Scissorhands, Danny Elfman
*ANYTHING from “Nell” by Mark Isham
*ANYTHING from “ALIVE” by James Newton Howard (probably one of THE most underrated scores of the 90’s).
*KAMA SUTRA (starring Naveen Andrews) also has a beautiful soundtrack, Mychael Danna

Links to composers (AMAZON and FILMTRACKS probably have a more diverse sampling)

Richard Gibbs (preview entire tracks!): http://www.richardgibbsmusic.com
Bear McCreary (with clips): http://www.bearmccreary.com
Brian Tyler (clips): http://www.briantyler.com
Graeme Revell: http://www.graemerevell.com
Marco Beltrami (clips): http://www.marcobeltrami.de
John Ottman (clips): http://www.johnottman.com
Shirley Walker (clips): http://walker.filmmusic.com
Danny Elfman (clips): http:// elfman.filmmusic.com
Mark Isham (clips): http://www.isham.com
James Newton Howard: http://www.james-newton-howard.com
Mychael Danna: www.mychaeldanna.com
James Horner: http://www.james-horner.com/
John Barry: http://www.johnbarry.org.uk/

And anyone else you want to look up, go for it! I hope this has been helpful.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Rocksiren on Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Rocksiren!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you are an absolutle bloody legend in my eyes right now.... seriously i love film music... not that i have done any vidding to any songs (accept my KK vid, which doesn't realy count)....

mark my words i will certainly be checking out some of this music, and hopefully adding to your list

thanks what a great idea, your a champ
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre welcome. I love film music too!

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet resource! Yes, stop using the "Requiem of a Tower" song, okay guys?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cows23
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "mission: impossible" theme is good too
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW REVIEW:

And, just to re-iterate, I dont really do too many BIG movie reviews or recommendations, because I think they get enough attention. I enjoy so many different scores that are overshadowed, so. But feel free to add!

Okay I dont know a lot about video games (Im from the era of the synth mario theme), so now all these video games that have a backstory, complex characters, etc. come out, many have scores worthy of a feature film.

One of these is a previously overlooked gem coming from composer Bill Brown's site. It is "Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicle". I havent played the game, but I went ahead and downloaded ALL the tracks for this one. Bill Brown has whole tracks available on his site for download, but if you want my advice, head on over to the Lineage site (www.lineage2.com), and use a streaming media capture utility to get the rest (HiDownlaod or NetVampire work in free trials). Its worth it.

NOW, apparently this game is set in that whole Medieval, fairy Willow-esque time, so I thought I'd be in for a real treat. I was not disappointed. The first track I ever listened to was "Outro' (which Im guessing means credits), and I was almost moved to tears, its THAT GOOD. Tracks that are absolutely BREATHTAKING would have to be "Temple of the Moon", "Hall of Mists", "Unicorn's Rest", "Forest Calling". Im not talking about some cheesy Pac-Man type background noise, Im talking female soloists, gorgeous main themes. Theres also action cues and dark cues, but I thought I would mention my favorites. Its like little sister to the Lord of the Rings sdtk. I recommend anyone who loves film music- you MUST check this one out!!!

Links: www.billbrown.com, www.lineage2.com

Okay well not that the door of the video games has been opened, I went ahead and downloaded some of the early Final Fantasy, which I had read on various boards were really good. I was actually really pleased with the "Spirit Within" score, but the early games made me want to grow my hair out, get a van with shag carpeting, have a beer bust and wear pants so tight I would need to lay down and zip them up with pliers. So I had to stop, immediately.

msievers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.directsong.com

Look at some of the tracks made for Guild Wars, specifically Guild Wars: Faction.. their new expansion game that was released worldwide today.

The music is beautiful, with a strong asian influence that is seen in the game. They have some previews on directsong.com, check it out.

signed up just to add that.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hey for everyone who missed it on MIXTAPES, I have put together some of my absolute favorite pieces of film music (you wont regret it) and its available as a zip file here:

http://www.streamload.com/rocksiren/filmscores.zip

and new:

http://www.streamload.com/rocksiren/filmscores2.zip

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tossed this up in another thread, so I'll put it up here - If you're looking for a song (not classical) that sounds like another; ie, if you want something in the vein of the Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction' that isn't that, as someone's already done that video...

Behold Pandora. I love the site. It will analyze what you like about certain songs and then find other songs in the same musical ballpark, often from people you wouldn't expect. That certainly helps for musical diversity anyway. If it's any help as well, there you go.
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We on the Council, we watch a LOT of videos, as you can imagine. So when we notice that a song has been over-used, its REALLY been overused. I found that before I start any video, I usually log onto LVI to check if the songs been used, in what context, for a ship/non-ship. Then I make my plans. I am in no way preaching that you DONT use a song (if you think its perfect, then go for it!) but here are some tips for song selection:

1.) For example, using "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt for Kate and Sawyer...or Kate and Jack. As of right now, its been used 3 times for those 3 characters. Its been done. Hey- I know how you feel, I was ALL for doing my own "Welcome to the Jungle" ensem vid, but I abandoned it upon hearing that others had theirs in the works already. On another "Blunt" note- I see "Goodbye My Lover" has been used 6 times.

If you want to use it, go for it, but make it GOOD.

2.) Okay same goes for "Iris" by the Goo-Goo Dolls. This seems to be a favorite of LVI'ers. As of right now, it has been used 9 times, and another time in Hobbes' Orientation video. Thats a lot of use. BUT if you ABSOLUTELY MUST use it, maybe try something which is a favorite of mine:

A.) Who has done covers? Well, a search on sing365.com has revealed that Ronan Keating and Boyzone have done covers of this song. Theirs could be exactly what youre looking for. It would be a fresh approach to the song. It could f'in ROCK! OH NO! I reallllly wanted to use "Nothing Compares To You" for my video, but Nate/Lostzilla did the DEFINITIVE video for that song...I cant top that! Topping that aside, I can PERSONALLY vouch for the cover done by the Stereophonics- its all the better because its a male voice singing the song, and its a little more acoustic, but really good. Also Prince and "Girls Aloud" have done covers. Check them out!

B.) How about remixes? In my own various searches, I found at LEAST 4 different remixes of the original "Running Up That Hill"- for "Return to Innocence", there are countless. For "Army of Me", there was an actual separate CD released by Bjork of remixes and covers. There are almost 20 tracks for that one..the ONE song!

2.) Well where can I find new music? Barring any downloading from other sources, and also exposing yourself to the CD collection of siblings and parents, you could always hop on over to our mix-tape thread:

http://www.lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6144&highlight=mixtape

Everyone can contribute here (feel free to contribute yourself!). Its like getting a mixtape/CD in real life, but favorites of your fellow vidders and viewers. Its a great place to get good music and be exposed to some artists you may not have known about otherwise.

3.) "Hey whats the song?!?!?" Soundtracks are some of my favorite things in the world (scores and soundtracks) and I find myself getting to know new artists and composers from their playing in the back of movies and more and more, TV shows. People constantly say "oh yeah I knew about them before..."...Well, I DIDNT! SO sue me! I like 'em now! My favorite artist of ALL TIME has to be Heather Nova (my love affair with her has been going on for 10 years now) when I saw "The Craft" and LOVED her track on the soundtrack (a cover of Peter Gabriel's "I Have the Touch"). The rest is history.

4.) "GONNA GO BACK IN TIME!"- sometimes no matter how cheesy a song is, if you get all gooey from it, there are probably MANY others who do as well. I still really like "Hungry Eyes", even though its cheese. So who knows, maybe theres a great song just sitting in the barn not being used! Nothing you do has to be a Top 40-hit. Actually its almost better if it ISNT. That way no one will have pre-conceived notions about it, and its YOURS. So if its late 70's, it doesnt matter- go for it.

Anyway I just thought you all shouldnt limit yourself.

Spinning Iris
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rocksiren I have a name and a link to add to your list of composers, if you want. You mentioned him at least twice when listing songs.

Jerry Goldsmith http://www.jerrygoldsmithonline.com/
(I highly recomend his Timeline soundtrack)
starsweetjunkie
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Behold Pandora. I love the site. It will analyze what you like about certain songs and then find other songs in the same musical ballpark, often from people you wouldn't expect. That certainly helps for musical diversity anyway. If it's any help as well, there you go.

Thanks film chick! I really love this site. It picks songs I've never heard before...ever. But since they sound like my favorite artists. I really like them. People looking for some dif music should check it out.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iris---> nevre got the chance to respond before, but also Goldsmith's "Star Trek: First Contact" and "Medicine Man" are astounding.

IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Romeo + Juliet' Soundtrack has some good instrumental music on there also

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this is cool, cool websites aswell i love using film music, most my cds are film music i think disney instrumentals are really good and the spiderman 2 soundtrack version 2 with all the orchestra songs is really good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: