Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas, once again?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus wrote:
I guess having random CPs for people who are first coming to the site is a good idea...I'm just thinking though...people who get CPs always get more comments than others, and for good reasons...but I think the people who don't get CPs and therefore hardly any comments (or sometimes none at all) feel kinda left out. Besides, they need more constructive criticism. And the more things you guys add to show the very best vids to people the more this is gonna happen, and yes, you could get some new people interested in vidding by watching gold CP vids, but you could also lose some vidders, and you'd probably end up with the exact same amount of vidders, or less.

I see what you're saying, and I agree for the most part, but I have to disagree on a couple things:
1. I don't agree CP vids get more comments than the others usually. If they do, I think it's more because they happen to be better videos, not because we recognize them as them, if that makes sense.
Exhibit A: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2357
I refreshed twice before that came up on the spotlight, and I have seen plenty more that have few comments, usually because the vidders aren't well-known like you guys are .
My point is I think the Gold vids deserve more of a reward than a little seal. This helps.

2. I don't agree that the vidders who don't get CPs feel left out, because I don't think they care enough to do so. There are very few vidders who actually try to make their vids great. Those that are in the process, and are asking around in the forums, etc for help: they're the only ones that trully do care, and by simply asking around and trying to make videos better each time, they will get those CPs and have a place in the spotlight soon enough, because they deserve it. But most of those vidders who get nothing do so because they aren't trying, just sending in loads of videos.

3. I don't care about the number of vidders LVI has, and whether this makes it bigger or smaller, I care that each vidder here is trying their best and enjoying themselves, making some awesome videos. Numbers has never been my goal. I just want to get people interested in art again. And if this gives people more of an incentive to do their best, then that seems like a mission accomplished. Especially if it benefits the viewers as well.

4. I agree that the newcomers could use more constructive criticism, but I don't agree that doling it out would necessarilly work. When people ask for it, I try to give it, in the best way possible, but it is very hard. Despite that, there are still too few who actually ask for help.

I admire you looking out for the little guy Marcus, especially since you're one of those awesome vidders who this would actually benefit

Quote:

For the feature vid on the index page, it could be the winner for each monthly contest. Since LVI gets so much traffic, that could be a great way to show people an awesome vid.

I'm not sure that would work, since those vids are kinda "special" and geared to be good for the specific contests, so they could be very confusing to an outsider (taking the Crossover challenge as an example ). Also, there aren't that many really . But I can defintiely whip-up a Spotlight Contest Winner deelee for the Contests page ?
http://www.lostvideo.net/contests/contests.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? I knew I wasn't completely useless here!
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that makes sense now.

Hobbes wrote:
I admire you looking out for the little guy Marcus, especially since you're one of those awesome vidders who this would actually benefit

I was at the bottom of the pile once, that's why...Don't tell me you've forgotten the wonderful "Sawyer Begins"!

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: