Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constructive critisism please :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xoxStephxox
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Constructive critisism please :) Reply with quote

Ok, i know you must here this all the time so i apologise, but my recent video "lost game" missed out on a council pick and i was just wondering what critisism you could give me to keep in mind for my next vid. I have read what advice you have given concerning editing, originality etc... but i thought my vid was quite original and i had tried my best to use the effects on WMM.

However, i do know that the songs were not editing perfectly togther, i just couldn't seem to find a good joint on any part of the song, so i used what i could .... and that it may have seemed more of a "montage" than a story, but i was trying to "portray" this "game" of emotions... but i would just like to know whether the council shared the same critisisms of it that i did, and what i could do to improve next time.

LOST GAME
Music from the musical "Blood Brothers" to show the "game of emotions" portrayed on Lost

http://media.putfile.com/Lost-Game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ICVHkGIWjc

Thanks

Last edited by xoxStephxox on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
xoxStephxox
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really much point in me "bumping" this, but i really really would appreciate improvements. i have read Hobbs's guide but ...

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know....I thought that was a pretty original video. I wasn't much for the music, it's just not my kind of music, but it works well with the video. I may be wrong when it comes to this about vidding, but I think there is such a thing as 'too much' when it comes to vidding. I think perhaps the colors you used, you used too much. I think that would be the only stipulation about this vid, but otherwise it was great. Don't let it bring you down that you didn't get a seal, I thought one of my videos would get a silver, but it didn't so that just makes me work harder. Keep up the originality and the good vids!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I think this vid should be a Silver. Apparently the other judges don't agree. At least it's on the line for a Silver.

Pros:
Good originality, fairly good editing, desire to have a point to the whole vid.

Cons:

The music: this is a stupid reason, but oh man that first bit of it was just head-hurting . Also, there were some points where it was cut roughly, which really ruins whatever mood is being set up

I think angelicvil explained it nicely: there might have just been... too much there It was so over-the-top packed full of originality it just looked weird, and wasn't as enjoyable . I mean, sure, kudos for being so risky and putting yourself out like that! But this was like a piece of modern art - just really really odd, and really risky you're relying on people to take it seriously and think hard about why you did it, when all they want to do is watch a good fun video. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't, it's just realyl risky lol

The story of the vid - I saw that you tried to tie everything together into it being a Game, but I'm not sure it really came off that way.

Overall, this vid just ran the risk of looking really... amateur. Your basic editing skilld for beat and such were ncie, but I just don't think there was enough to this vid to make it clear it deserved a Silver or better. I'd say this would probably be on the edge of Silver and None, and I can kinda see why the other judges chose to lean ot one side rather than the other.

I'm not sure if that really answers your question of why this vid didn't get a CP, but let me at least say that your originality in this vid was impressive (if not daunting ), so I know that if you keep on bringing that out in your vids, maybe at a slightly more controlled pace they're bound to get some CPs, or better . Also, your basic skills as an editor, such as the beats and effects, were really nice in this vid, so I bet some future vids could really be cool. . Why not try picking one song that you like, thinking up some twist you can take with it, and just going at it? I'd love to see what you can do with a normal-ish take on a vid (but not too normal either you don't want some generic Jate 101 stuff lol).

I hope this helped, and good luck on your future vids!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xoxStephxox
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That did help - a lot - thanks.

I understand what you mean - i was VERY wary about submitting this, and the song choice was simply, because i was studing this musical for my performing arts course and some of the themes reminded me of lost, which i get can be a bit confusing when you dont know the musical, cos i think it's only a British musical

Thank you for the comments on the originallity, i agree i need to controll it some more, but i enjoyed experimenting and it has helped me get used to some of the effects, so i will try and tame it next time

thanks again for your comments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: