Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X-men3: the Last Stand
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, my opinions can now be completely eplained by that article. Thanks E.

I watched Revenge of the Sith a couple days ago, and that was a much better finale than this one was, despite the many facts that make everyone think it's a failure...
the difference is, this one was so close, had so much potential from the last films, and actually had some good acting. yet they still managed to screw it up...

I feel bad for being so negative about this movie, because it really makes it seem that much worse, but I just can't be satisfied leaving it like that... someone has to pay. (so might as well be anyone who actually thought this movie was well-done, huh? ) I'm sorry guys, but my rant on this one just hasn't fizzled out yet. I still care, for what it's worth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... i also just can't let this one go for a few reasons:
1. the amount of potential it had going in.
2. the damage it did to the xmen movie franchise is pretty much irreparable.

..and so i must continue my quest for vengence.
Everyone listen to this great X3 review from an awesome podcast called Geekdrome!
http://revision3.com/geekdrome/2006-06-05/
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the fact that they killed everyone, and used so many storylines, also makes it impossible for there to even BE another to fix the wrongs made here That is, unless they want to admit how bad this one was, and there's no way they will ever do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys read the comics, BTW? I'm just curious because I know that I would've had a reaction much more like the two of you if my main introduction to X-Men was through the movies. I started reading them practically from birth. So I've been through every lame-o plot twist and jaw-droppingly foolish storyline they've come up with over the past *mumblemumble* years.

I DO agree with you both, in case that's not obvious. I just found myself able to forgive the bad stuff and enjoy the rest. There were so many little "shout-out's" to the comics that I kept going, "No way! The fastball special!" or whatever. It tickled the long-time comic fangirl side of me, what can I say? Nothing cooler than to see these familiar things on the Big Screen!

And dang, I've been through the death of EVERYBODY already. Death is very rarely 100% fatal in a comic book. I have no doubt that they could do a fourth movie and talk their way around the death of Scott, Prof X and Jean without missing a beat. I suspect that's why we never really "saw" Scott's death. It was mainly just heavily implied after that one little disintergrating bit. She could've put him back together without much of a problem, you know?

Anyway, it doesn't bother me a bit to hear what y'all didn't like about it. I enjoy talking it over (or so you've probably guessed by now, huh? ) and I like hearing all the different points of view!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guessed it this would be my first "real" introduction to it, aside from a bit of the tv show I saw when I was little, and just the common knowledge of it, since Xmen is kinda a societal allegory now.

There were some things they did right, but those were things I would consider nealy impossible to do wrong. What they did right was provide a visually exciting and good-looking tribute to the comics, including tons of characters and throwbacks to the comics, like you said, which were supposed to make it cool for the fans fo the comics.
However, I think they were being shortsighted with this, and were more worried about including as much as they could to please fans so they wouldn't have to face cries of "WHERE'S GAMBIT!!?! " rather than have a good story that actually had point or feeling to it . Every death in it was completely unfeeling and pathetic, as mere seconds after them a new scene started. It never once slowed down to take in anything, just rushed through to show us more of [ah-nold] Juggernaut's bulging muscles[/ah-nold], or whoever else they stuck in.
That's the problem with far too many movies nowadays, they just don't get it, all flash and No Substance. As a comic book tribute, yeah it's good, as it should be, but as a movie? No, I'd say that was a very bad movie.

Quote:

Anyway, it doesn't bother me a bit to hear what y'all didn't like about it. I enjoy talking it over (or so you've probably guessed by now, huh? Laughing ) and I like hearing all the different points of view! Cool

I'm glad for that, because it often puts me off when someone doesn't like a movie that I really enjoyed, especially when I see their points of view on it and it ends up giving me a bad taste about the film too...

Last edited by Hobbes on Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Did you guys read the comics, BTW? I'm just curious because I know that I would've had a reaction much more like the two of you if my main introduction to X-Men was through the movies. I started reading them practically from birth. So I've been through every lame-o plot twist and jaw-droppingly foolish storyline they've come up with over the past *mumblemumble* years.

while i can't say i've read many of the books, I did grow up on the animated series and marvel trading cards
(btw the animated series did the dark phoenix saga way better than X3! http://youtube.com/results?search=%22X-men+-+The+dark+phoenix+saga+part%22&search_type=search_videos&search=Search)

Aislynn wrote:
I DO agree with you both, in case that's not obvious. I just found myself able to forgive the bad stuff and enjoy the rest. There were so many little "shout-out's" to the comics that I kept going, "No way! The fastball special!" or whatever. It tickled the long-time comic fangirl side of me, what can I say? Nothing cooler than to see these familiar things on the Big Screen!

well yes, the shot outs were great.. but can't it have that stuff and ALSO have a good story and good production values? It sounds like you're saying you have lower standards.

Aislynn wrote:
And dang, I've been through the death of EVERYBODY already. Death is very rarely 100% fatal in a comic book. I have no doubt that they could do a fourth movie and talk their way around the death of Scott, Prof X and Jean without missing a beat. I suspect that's why we never really "saw" Scott's death. It was mainly just heavily implied after that one little disintergrating bit. She could've put him back together without much of a problem, you know?

i dunno, I'm aware of the 'no body, no foul' rule in comics. But I'm not sure the movies can pull it off the way the books can.

Anyway, I think if you watch X1 and X2 again, you'll realize just how much worse X3 really is. Remember the opening scene of X1? Young Magnus at Auschwitz? How powerful was that? X3 was like a joke compared to that.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito wrote:
well yes, the shot outs were great.. but can't it have that stuff and ALSO have a good story and good production values? It sounds like you're saying you have lower standards.

No, what I have actually is bad taste. It's a...subtle difference. However, it lets me enjoy many movies that drive other people with better taste than myself straight up the wall. What can I say? It's a character flaw.
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On DVD October 3rd

I don't know. The normal cover is too bright. The "Collector's Edition" is the same DVD packaged with a book. and the third is the set of all tthree.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO-HOOOOO!!!!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you just *sigh* my woo-hoo?

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno what I *sigh*ed All I know is I get a *sigh* when I think of this movie.
*sigh*...
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, when a movie's tag line is 'Adrenaline-Fuled Fun!' you know you're in for a treat.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still stand by my woo-hoo. (It's well established that I have sucky taste in, well, practically everything. Why break my perfect record now? )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: