Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does WMG mean on Youtube?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: What does WMG mean on Youtube? Reply with quote

I have noticed alot of videoes on Youtube have a note that says the audio has been removed due to some dispute with WMG.I was wondering what WMG means and how I can make sure none of my videoes are affected.

So far none of my videoes have shown that message but I just wanted to know if certain songs were prone to getting this message that way I can just avoid posting any videoes that include them.

I had a video once that talked about third party disputes so I just deleated it.Is that what this WMG thing is too?

I appoligize if I am posting on a subject that has already been explained.

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WMG is Warner Music Group. They used to have a deal with YouTube to allow their artists' music to be used but the deal recently fell apart and so now any artist/band who is on the Warner label no longer will be allowed on YouTube. You can see a list of Warner Music Group artists here and if any of your vids use any of these artists, then chances are the vids will be disabled or removed. It's mainly a matter of when they catch you, unfortunately. Short of not using any of these artists, there's really nothing you can do to keep your vids from being muted or removed.
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.Are all the videoes with songs by those artist on the list affected or is more just the newer songs? I noticed some of the people/bands on that list have songs from the 60's and 70's.Would those songs be as heavily affected as those released within the last 10 years or so?

Is there a list of UMG artists as well because I've had to remove two videoes because of that notice.

Macaila
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try disputing the claim if your vid gets muted or removed. It doesn't always work...but it worked for 3 out of 4 vids for me..

here is the thread about it.
http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18899

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try to dispute the claim and it doesn't work is there any chance that Youtube will delete your account or do they just give you another notice?

I got a UMG copyright notice this morning for uploading a Lost video using the song Bubbly by Colbie Caillat.I've already deleted it but if there's a chance to put it up without losing my account I may consider reposting it.

Macaila
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they just give you another notice saying that they are taking it down again...that is what they did for one of my vids with a Butterfly Boucher song.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I think I might try to repost it and dispute it. I just didn't want to lose my account and have to re-upload everything just to post one video.

Macaila
secret_neo
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone does radiohead and gets caught I'd definitly dispute it. They released an album for free and I don't even think they care if you use their songs, same with Nine Inch Nails. Btw if u wanna avoid copyright issues altogether, check out www.jamendo.com, thousand upon thousands of royalty free music made by anyone, some of the stuff is pretty good.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Bypassing WMG filter Reply with quote

I just had a video rejected from youtube due to the WMG music filter which really sucks as it would have been my first proper lost video
But I was reading about ways to bypass the filter and apparently if you slow the song down using audacity, by just a little (2-3%) that it won't recognize it!
I don't wanna get anyones hopes up yet cos I haven't tried this myself yet but I really hope this works as you might imagine the video just wouldn't be the same by changing the song. Oh and I don't think slowing down the song will drastically change the way it sounds cos I did the math and figured out that for a 5 minute song, it will add an extra 9 seconds give or take, which is good seeing that I had to cut a fair bit to make it fit
Get back again once I've given it a try!
secret_neo
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a lil success story. My "Lost Men" trailer got dinged by the WMG, so i disputed the claim and said it was edited by me and it was 50% of original length and they cleared it.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take for youtube to process a video that you uploaded? I just uploaded a video, and youtube has been processing it for a long time. Youtube didn't take this long to process my previous video. But my second video is like taking forever to be processed.

Last edited by faranaha on Sun May 22, 2011 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically it shouldn't take that long.
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faranaha wrote:
How long does it take for youtube to process a video that you uploaded? I just uploaded a video, and youtube has been processing it for a long time. Youtube didn't take this long to process my previous video. But my second video is like taking forever to be processed.

upload it again. It shouldn't take that long. unless you have a super slow connection?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: